Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 1982 Renault 5 Turbo Rally (Twin's Build)

BMX Addicts

Fresh out from my third build (A Tamiya 1/24 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9), I'm taking on a double build project for a couple 1982 Renault 5 Turbo Rally... Making it a double because I'm giving one to a good friend of mine in South America (Where this particular model was very popular even as a street car), so we will make these build # 4 and # 5.

Found a few reference photos...

diecast_car_zps85217568.jpeg

diecast_car-3_zps544f10ef.jpeg

SlowlySidewaysRenault5Turbo1_zps9c86e77b

The kits...

0001_zps65d36415.jpg

0002_zps12f80832.jpg

Sanding and Priming...

0004_zpsa95c05a6.jpg

0005_zps94139f30.jpg

Thank you for reading.

Yes Tomo, this kit was originally meant to be an electric build, but the factory added the option to make it a model by inserting a steel pin to attach the rear suspension

photo-5_zpsc4cb3ba4.jpg

photo-4_zpsac9e1436.jpg

photo-6_zpsbb7c75a9.jpg

I think the most challenging part would be to paint the pilots :P

Edited by BMX Addicts

I think painting it as a street car will do the trick Tomo, there was nothing rally about this car in the 80's other than the roll cage and the fog lights....

By the way, there is no engine in the kit (I guess because the whole body is closed up).

Edited by BMX Addicts

Thank you Jeff, these were not the original plan for the next build but they sure look cool.

Hand dried the silver and masked for yellow (I can only imagine your faces looking at the masking tape :lol: )

DSC09305_zpsd34a326d.jpg

DSC09308_zps76bf177a.jpg

DSC09309_zpsa6c9e6c4.jpg

Made my mind to finish the bodies today!!!... I just hope my wife's hair dryer holds :P

Edited by BMX Addicts

Juan, no matter how bad the masking looks, it's effective! You've got two great multi-colored paint jobs, a great start to your 4th and 5th builds!

I'm really starting to hate you though, I didn't get this good until around build #200!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Custom Mike

Juan, no matter how bad the masking looks, it's effective! You've got two great multi-colored paint jobs, a great start to your 4th and 5th builds!

I'm really starting to hate you though, I didn't get this good until around build #200!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

X2 lol

:lol: Mike / Oscar :lol:

You have no idea how hard this is for me... When you look in the dictionary for the definition of impatient, the whole page is filled with my name in it!!! (I'm like a donkey snorting wide open in my chair!!!!).

Some more work on the chassis:

photo-11_zps7307be3a.jpg

photo-12_zpsa0795f68.jpg

photo-13_zps2ddb0edc.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts

So much for praising masking skills...

Just ruined the project and made it even worse by trying to fix it :unsure:

photo-19_zpsb51da725.jpg

Not sure if this would be appropriate but $&#*&!@#$%

Like a wounded dog I tried retouching it, and even applied a couple decals, but my paint traces are also off and the decals come out of line...

photo-21_zps1d4ad620.jpg

With this said....

original_today-has-been-cancelled-cushio

Thanks Oscar...

A bit frustrating but the lesson was received loud and clear; you can see how I was rushing with this project... Which in all honest truth voids the sole purpose of the hobby.

These friggin' newbies and their rush to finish their projects uh???