#21 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Interesting thread!  I didn't pay much attention to announcements about new releases way back when, so most of this will be new to me.  Fortunately we've got a number of people on this board who really know their moldeling lore, so I'll finally be able to catch up.

#22 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

The MPC T-based buggy was not 1/20 scale.  I've got that same catalog; the kit is listed as 1/25 scale, with a retail price of $2.25 (same as most other 1/25 scale MPC kits at that time).  And, it was produced; MPC called it the "V-Rod".  For reasons known only to someone at MPC, the "V-Rod" kit included a Corvair engine, and not the VW unit shown in the catalog... 

Thanks for the correction. I relied too much on memory and a blurry picture for that one, so I edited my original post.

#23 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Never seen the garbage truck kit in person..have read in several articles that it was announced but never released.

It was never released as you said earlier. Here's the story, 'bout halfway down the page:

http://www.bonedigge...zlo/wlazlo.html

How about this Allis-Chalmers T-816? Did it ever make it through to production?:

2288.jpg

#24 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would LOVE to get my hands on that Regal kit as well as a couple or 6 of the Revell CRX kits!!

#25 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I've heard that the link-belt shovel was another ghost kit.

#26 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

actually that garbage truck was issued...just not as the garbage truck...body itself i dont think made it into production anywhere for i would have bought several for just the body!

I am sure it was I saw one on a diorama in MPLS. done by the model club there back in the 70's.

#27 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

How about that Blue Thunder Blazer?
scannen0002.jpg

#28 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

Mpc did release a couple different versions of that stepside Chevy pickup in 1/16 and I have that Street Charger?

#29 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I don't have any pics to share , but I'm certain that never-the-less most of you will at least recall these kits :

1.) 1968 Hurst-Hemi Dart . Originally slated for release in 1996 , it was mentioned in the 1995 Revell-Monogram catalogue . A photo of a red 1:1 was pictured in the back pages of the catalogue.

2.) 1983 Corvette . The only year that the Corvette wasn't produced since its 1953 intro ! Truly , the 1984 models were the same thing as the slated '83 models . Production was postponed as the engineers worked feverously to get those digitised instruments to function .

I remember when that other model car magazine ran an article on "ghost kits" , back in '84 or '85 (maybe at late as '86 or '87 ...)

#30 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

Mpc did release a couple different versions of that stepside Chevy pickup in 1/16

They released three 1/16 Action Snaps kits which included Chevy cabs of that same era, but they were toy-like kits with utility beds, very different from what was proposed. Maybe they are what became of this idea.

#31 pharoah

pharoah

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Full Name:John Farrow

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

I did a search a few years ago on the Ford garbage truck.

I found an article (somewhere) that they had gotten as far as making the large scale wooden pieces that they used to make the molds with. something happened to them over a weekend and they warped beyond repair. They decided not to make another set and it was shelved. Too bad I wanted one..

The 1983 Corvette didn't happen either. but there is real one at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green,KY. I saw it when I was there . it's on a rotating table ,and has different wheels on each side. It looks like an 84.

#32 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I believe the MPC 78 Monte Carlo was reissued a few years back as an iHobby show special. I have one in my stash and will build it some day, just like all the others!

#33 pack rat

pack rat

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Wherry

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I believe the MPC 78 Monte Carlo was reissued a few years back as an iHobby show special. I have one in my stash and will build it some day, just like all the others!

The RCHTA special is a 1980 Monte Carlo, the same kit re-issued by Round2 as the Class Action kit 

#34 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Accurate Minatures' NASCAR 1999 Ford Taurus.  Made it into their catalog, even made it into tooling, was never released.  Test shots exist. 

AM's 289 Cobra Roadster

#35 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Shelby Daytona Coupe from Academy  daytona-coupe.jpg

#36 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

And then there were the '49 Oldsmobile and '50 Studebaker announced but never released by AMT back in 2000....

#37 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Mpc did release a couple different versions of that stepside Chevy pickup in 1/16 and I have that Street Charger?

Actually, I think the 1/16th Street Charger kit just happened to be on the same page as the truck that never was and Casey didn't mean it was a "never was" kit. The Street Charger was issued twice after the Petty version. First in black as the "Street Charger" and later in red as the "Charger street machine".

T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfRGBRGZc3hCcw60_57_zps64 ...and yes, later on again as the General Lee. I would LOVE a set of the wheels in the red version!

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 19 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#38 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Around 1995 Italeri announced a Jaguar XJ6/12 in magazine adds. My patience is running out.

#39 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

Around 1995 Italeri announced a Jaguar XJ6/12 in magazine adds. My patience is running out.

I think it was earlier then that, '84 or so. On that same page they tested the waters showing pics from a then current BMW 7 series and a Volvo 760, only the Volvo materialized.

On page 7, of the November/December 1995 issue of Ertl's Blueprinter magazine, there's another announcement hidden.....a '96 Dodge Ram Sport (kit #8247). Five or so years later when talking with one of the former Amt R&D guy's, I learned that the project went as far as the 1/10th scale wooden tooling model of the body. Why it was killed I never found out, but maybe Ertl got word of Revell's Ram VTS kit.

BTW, my first ever email was about this subject, asking Larry Greenberg, at SAE or CM if he could find out more....

#40 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

They released three 1/16 Action Snaps kits which included Chevy cabs of that same era, but they were toy-like kits with utility beds, very different from what was proposed. Maybe they are what became of this idea.

My bad, I was thinking of the Revell 1/16 Chevy stepside pickup kits.