Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking at other forums makes me wonder, what other hobbies do you have?

DrKerry

Besides modeling, I also like to:

1. Collect WWII Army Air Force militaria, i.e., uniforms, caps, uniform wings and airplane parts. A couple of the more unique pieces of my collection include an armored plate glass window out of a B-17 tailgunner's position and a salvaged ring sight off a .50 cal machine gun from a wreck in the states during the war.

2. Collect books and videos about the 8th Air Force/B-17s/personal accounts from WWII.

3. Sing - God gave me the ability to sing, so I am a member of our church worship team and I also sing baritone in our local men's barbershop chorus.

4. Follow the Minnesota Twins baseball team. I've been a Twins fan since 1967, when I was 11.

5. Help my wife with her antique metal head doll collection. I do the photography for her as she has written some articles published in the Antique Doll Collector magazine. She is also writing a book about metal head dolls and I have done, and will do, the photography for that - a major undertaking, as it will contain several hundred pictures. While she knows considerably more, I've learned a lot about them.

Edited by futurattraction

Besides models, I also collect dealership promotionals ( Mopar only btw )

I own my own shop to repair cars - restore vintage cars . So I get to work on toy cars as well as the big ones. Best part is I get to spend other peoples money for the big ones. The little ones sadly it comes out of my pocket.

Edited by gtx6970

Building and refinishing furniture,

researching in order to restore architectural

details on older residences,

collect and use local cookbooks

from travels, photo and videography.

Do my two grandchildren count?

I am into quite a few things. Most anything to do with wheels and a motor, cars, motorcycles/trucks. I collect airbrushes. Buy and sell on feeBay. I got a high speed engraver that I hope to relearn (had one a while back) and I'd like to make some side cash with it. I am a hockey fan in general and a Penguins fan in particular (hence part of my signature) with a small collection of jerseys.

I have a bad habit of getting into something and then going "Whole-Hog". I buy stuff and then when I need cash, well, there it goes. I have a newer job that takes a lot of my time so I haven't had a chance to do much besides work and spend money (yep, it's been an upside time right now. The down side time will follow).

Kool beans Scott, my fgather in law was a boom operator in a KC-130 until he retired about six years ago.

Just out of curiosity, did you mean KC-135? The 130 doesn't have a boom to my knowledge. It has dual probe and drogues in the wings. Just asking because I spent 10 years in the 70's as a pilot in 135's. The Boomer on a 135 is also a load master.

The only other thing that I spend a great deal of time on, (not sure if it would be a "hobby"), is bike riding. Like DPNM said a few posts up, I tend to go whole-hog on things so I limit myself. My wife and I discovered rails-to-trails and ride every chance we get. We have rode from DC to Pittsburgh twice now on the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage, GAP. It is around 350 miles in length. We have been kicking around the idea of making a "bucket list" item of riding at least one trail in all of the 48 lower states. We'll see what happens. It is not only a money issue but a time issue.

Just out of curiosity, did you mean KC-135? The 130 doesn't have a boom to my knowledge. It has dual probe and drogues in the wings. Just asking because I spent 10 years in the 70's as a pilot in 135's. The Boomer on a 135 is also a load master.

Oh, duh, yeah your right it was a kc-135. He flew out of Chicago and then the whole 126 was transferred to Scott Air Force Base. He's been to Germany many times and the first crew to Desert Shield/Storm. He was in the 126th ARF. My wife said he was flying in the late 60's to the early 90's.

• 2 weeks later...