Model Cars Magazine Forum

The first pics are of the 'Special Edition' cars showing the underbracing, the bracing is standard convertible fare. The last pic is a Teal 1993 Cobra before the Pre-delivery Inspection has been performed.

Cool pics of one of my favorite cars.

You're right, Brad. That teal Cobra was just being unloaded from the transporter as I was driving by the dealer in Port Huron Michigan in may 93. When I drove by again later, they had a black one in front of the showroom blocked in by three Mark 8s. Guess they knew which car was most likely to disappear...

Came across one of those red ones up on a display rack and grabbed the chance to get the new chassis shots for posterity. Don't see these cars very often anymore. Think I've also got pics of the '84 GT 350 and green '90 7-UP car here somewhere.

mike

PB293482_zps805e08fa.jpg

These cars are what you may call 'somewhat' my babies. I own a 1984 TurboGT (one of less than 4,000 built), a 1986GT T-top 5/spd, and a 1991GT no-options 5spd. I have owned an 88 Coupe and a 1983 GLX convertible as well.

Got a pic of one those turbo GTs here too. From what I heard, the price was about the same for the 5 liter GT at that time so with less hassle the V8 sold better. All the R&D wasn't wasted though, as the SVO rose from the ashes of the discontinued turbo GT.

P1011862_zps806f7fce.jpgP1011795_zps66617cdb.jpgP1011864_zps474a999b.jpgP1011861_zps5828c937.jpg

Edited by mk11

• 2 weeks later...

That T-Top Coupe belongs to a member of foureyedpride and is a very sweet ride!

The TurboGT was unveiled in 1983 as a test-bed for Fords SEFI/EEC4 set-up and proved to work well. 1984 brought the SVO into the picture, with vast improvements over the TurboGT (which it was sold along side of). 1985 saw the SVO continue but the TorboGT was discontinued at the end of the 84 season (sometimes referred to as an 84&1/2, same with the Annys).

That T-Top Coupe belongs to a member of foureyedpride and is a very sweet ride!

The TurboGT was unveiled in 1983 as a test-bed for Fords SEFI/EEC4 set-up and proved to work well. 1984 brought the SVO into the picture, with vast improvements over the TurboGT (which it was sold along side of). 1985 saw the SVO continue but the TorboGT was discontinued at the end of the 84 season (sometimes referred to as an 84&1/2, same with the Annys).

While what you say is true, it's also misleading.

While the Turbo Gt was introduced Mid - year in 1983, the Turbo Mustang was originally made available in 1979.

It was only in 1983 that the became electronically fuel injected. The previous years were carbed. And while NOT GT models they were special in their own way being Pace Cars or Cobras.

Also while the white car is an Anniversary or 841/2 or GT350 it it NOT a Turbo GT. ALL turbo GT's had the rear facing hood scoop. It was needed for hood clearance

I know I had one. (Edit: actually 3 if you count Capri's and t-birds.)

Hope this clarifies things.

Edited by Abell82

Jason, that is why I said the TurboGT was unveiled as a test for the EEC4/SEFI set-up. Yes, you could get the Turbo4 from 1979-82, but it was a draw-through carb set-up that was marginal at best. And I was referring to the TurboGT in particular for its' significance to the coming EFI generation. Being that I own a TurboGT, I have done quite a bit of research on the car and its rarity. Mine is an early-84, which means it still has the TRX/Slapper Bar suspension, non-Fog light nose, and 3-piece rear decklid spoiler. Mid-84 (hence the 1984&1/2 moniker), they switched to the Fog-light nose, the single-piece decklid spoiler, and the Quad-Shock Sport suspension.

Engines were really unchanged from 1983 to 1984, with both years carrying the small VAM, 30#ph injectors, non-intercooled, and Garrett T3 .60/.63 non-water-cooled turbos. The XR4Tis got the same set-up, but with a water-cooled center section Garrett. The SVO received the intercooler, large VAM, 35#ph injectors, and the PE computer. 83-86 Thunderbird TurboCoupes were the same as the TurboGT, but in some cases getting the front-mount intercooler via Ford Motorsports. 87-88 saw the TurboCoupe get the top-mount intercooler, large VAM, 35# injectors, anf the IHI-Warner .60/.48 turbo.

And you are correct, Jason, in the fact that the GT350 (Anny) pictured is actually a V8 car. There were only 147 Turbo4 Annys built.

Edited by whale392

The 5.0 badge first appeared on the Fox in its first year (1979), but as Rick states it really didn't come into the spotlight until the return of the GT in 1982. 1986 saw the SEFI 5.0L hit production, along with the 8.8" and true dual exhaust. Also, thanks to the NTHSB, the chmsl was implemented across the board.

Most people consider the 'Meca' of 5.0L to be 1989, when it went 50-state MAF. This ushered in the age of tunable EFI as we know it today.

I had a 79 Mustang Ghia with a 3 speed manual with overdrive, I ran it like a 4 speed. The performance exhaust tone was only available on a 302 with a stick or a turbo. My 83 GT convertible was 302 with a 4 speed. 85 was the first year for the Mustang GT to come with stainless steel headers. My 85 SVO had the option delete package and dealer installed roll bar. When the SVO was introduced in 84, there was a switch on the console a advance the smart and adjusted the engine when switched on for premium fuel. This was the only year to have a manual switch, later years the computer made the adjustment.