cool !! is that done with a stencil (sjabloon) or .....?
1/9 Volkswagen Kübel 'Kubelrod'
Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:01 AM
Yeah, it is done with some stencils I got, I will use a variety throughout the build.
Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:07 AM
I like this build, the engine looks great and the floorpan so nice.
Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:47 AM
OK, so long time errr..... not a lot done,
But I bring you a new update, I have been able to do some work on the body and finally got it good enough for the paintjob, which will be a huge turnkey in this build.
First, I got the wheels done:
And the body in it's second painting stage; after primer it is now Desert Sand Yellow
For the contrast, in this picture it is shown how different the Kubelrod is from the Kübelwagen
Step 3: Adding some brown skidmarks
Step 4: Adding some green ones
The sparewheel finished, I painted the letters blueish white, just like a brandnew tire
Step 5: putting on some masking tape
Step 6: Going back to black
Step 7: Adding some skulls
More steps to follow in upcoming days, I hope you enjoyed!
Edited by The Creative Explorer, 25 September 2013 - 08:50 AM.
Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:49 AM
whow the wheel(s) look stunning , paint is very unique cant waight to see that unmasked
Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:15 AM
Thanks Rich! Neither could I, it is always a suprise how somethings work out, it shouldn't be but it is to me haha.
Today was the make or break day, I had to take the last steps towards the paintjob and it involved the trueflames artwork, that is always tricky and I think it came out ok.
This is the scariest moment; the tape comes of...Will I take paint with the tape, will the paint look ok, how did it work out?
I think it worked out ok, it does blend and it could've been better, but I like it for this build; nice and wild.
Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:24 PM
very very cool and great masking and brushing ..
secretly i would love to see this one in a flat color with some weathering but thats just taste , just go crazy
Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM
Thanks Richard! But unfortunately, the course was set and it was heading for a showrod I don't like military or rat-rod colors so much.
Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:23 AM
The body has now been clearcoated twice and needs to be polished. I hope to get that done next week, nice little job to do, glad it isn't huge body (<---Sarcasm)
I think it came out ok, it is not the finish I wanted, but I think it is not irrepairable and will be decent after polishing. In the meanhwile, I got most parts finished and painted, so I could start working on assembly a bit more.
I tried to create a cloth-like upholstery for the seats, instead of giving it brand new seats, I kept it with the original seats and with upholstery, rather than the stated rubbery-like material from the kit.
The engine got some more parts, I wired the sparks and added the fanbelt. I need to Alclad a couple of parts, and then heading for a final assembly and wiring of the engine.
Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:27 AM
I clearcoated the floorpan, so I could also work on the suspension
I really like how this skull came to live with the frontsuspension on his head
The back suspension is a very weak link of this kit, very fragile and with a lot of tolerances, I seriously hope it will hold the car on it's feet when ready.
The finished backseat in the body, I really like the look of it. It almost looks like some sort of Alcantara.
And two early mock-up pictures of how the car sits at the moment, it starts to look promising and it really comes together now.
Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:53 PM
btw did you use like that white medical tape on your seats ?? and then painted it ?
asking because i did that ounse and it looks so similair
Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:56 PM
Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:13 AM
@Richard; no I simply used paper tissues, made them whet, draped them onto the seat and used water thinned acrylics to give it it's rough look.
After a week of polishing, 2 hours per evening, I finally got the body in a decent way. So, that means that it is on to final assembly and detailling at last.
I started with giving the doors a nice look to it with flocking.
What you didn't knew, was a suprise inside the doors. before adding the doorpanels, I airbrushed the inside of the doors with some more skulls, but tucked away
And work on the engine continued;
Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:18 AM
I added chromed valvecovers
Replaced the molded in throttle bars and added throttle return springs
And finally some preview pictures, needless to say that it sits too high as it is.
Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:50 AM
Most likely the final update, I hope to get'r done tomorrow or friday, just in time for the Nationals on saturday.
Work has been mostly limited to detailling and fixing weak fitments, the car has some issues with a weak construction, which appeared after installing all the wheels. The car couldn't sit on it's own axles.
I added some air filters on the carbs.
Using mesh that I formed over a round object,
Giving it a realistic appearance.
The front end got a horizontal bar for installing the headlights on, to prevent the Kubelrod would have that typical volksrod appearance.
And while playing with some left over parts, I had a fun idea. In the spirit of the Moon gastanks on the front axle with some hotrods, I am using the jerrycan as a gastank for the Kübel
Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:52 AM
The decal for the speedometer is a bit weird, it is pointing to 100km/h, which is a bit unrealistic, giving it is on display.
I installed exhausts on the back end and taillights.
This will be the new pointer for the speedometer.
Which looks a whole lot better.
Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:53 AM
I installed the windshield
And the headlights.
Tomorrow it is time for final assembly.