#21 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Niko... You are making great progress on this. I am really digging the direction you are going with this build. Keep up the great work.

#22 ChevyCoupe41

ChevyCoupe41

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Full Name:Matti Tirronen

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

This project looks very cool! There was nothin wrong in that early hemi but that 409 with Hilborn fuel injection fits perfectly to this build. Also very nice work with chassis and ladder bars. I'll be watching this project closely. B)

Edited by ChevyCoupe41, 07 June 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#23 Mister Twister

Mister Twister

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl Raper

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

That injected 409 is really a cool idea....It'll make that car a handful! Good stuff!

#24 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Thanks, Chris, Matti and Darryl! I really appreciate your kind comments. Thanks! The 409 is much better than Hemi I guess. I like seeing different engine combinations, so that's why it is a great idea. Also because I'm 409 Fan, that makes sense too. B)

Well I scratchbuilt the Front Axle from styrene tubing. It is a very simple straight tube just like in the Early Gassers. That Leaf Spring is taken from old Corvette rear axle. I scratchbuilt the spindles that connect those wheels and the axle from sheet silver and brass. Here are a few pictures of a Mock Up which shows what the final stance will be. Now I will move on and build another Ladder Bar and then I need to make some steering linkages etc for the Front Axle too.

DSCN4023_zps9dbbf2c2.jpg

DSCN4025_zps7730b071.jpg

DSCN4026_zps33646bc1.jpg

DSCN4027_zps2f6707df.jpg

#25 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Niko... this is looking sharp... I think you nailed the stance. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what you decide for colors on this build.

#26 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thanks Chris!! I have been thinking about painting it Metallic Green with gold frame and rear steelies. And then the car's name which will be "No Big Thing" would be on the doors and it would be gold too. The name is because of the car's size. :lol:

#27 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Shaping up real good Niko.

#28 Nitrozilla

Nitrozilla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Goss

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

A 409 is better than a Hemi???!!!??? No way.

Just messing with ya Niko. Stick to your guns. Keep up the great work.

#29 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks Ray and Joe!

A 409 is better than a Hemi???!!!??? No way.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  This gave me a hard laugh! :lol: 

Today my plan is to get the engine painted. I also need to build another Ladder bar. Hope to have more pics in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

#30 GMCMAN52

GMCMAN52

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Full Name:John Antczak

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

W-409  when you have time log on to Bing and type in ,No Big Thing Race Car,,,, I watched this thing race at US 30 years ago. It reminds me of your current project

#31 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

W-409  when you have time log on to Bing and type in ,No Big Thing Race Car,,,, I watched this thing race at US 30 years ago. It reminds me of your current project

WOW!!! That sure looks like wild ride! :blink: B)  Cool car, thanks for posting, that must have been really nice to see on track.

I finally have gotten the engine painted and I started the assembly too. I really like how it's coming together. I had to scratchbuild a small styrene-part to cover that little gap between Intake Manifold and the block. Now it sits nicely.

Next....Throttle linkages. <_<

DSCN5196_zps11e7ee37.jpg

DSCN5199_zps0e5a3ed7.jpg

Now I'm doing finishing touches on my '77 Chevy Van. It will be posted in Under Glass in Trucks section at the latest tomorrow. B)

#32 gonzo64nova

gonzo64nova

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Gonzo

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

Niko, your Fiat is very cool and so typical of what you would've seen back in the day. The only thing I would consider changing are the rear tires to a set of piecrust slicks,that would have been the type of tire they would have used back in that era. Good job so far.- Bill

#33 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Bill! And Sorry I must have missed your comment, but better late than never I guess. :)

Yes, the rear tires will be changed. Now when you said it, it feels stupid that I almost used those regular slicks, even if I have the AMT Slicks Parts Box.

This has been way too long as a Back Burner. I got just the inspiration that I needed when we had a Custom Culture Show here in Finland. I was one of the guys who put together the Model Car-area there. We had three display cases for finished builds and five guys who were building models on the other table to show what this hobby really is. Of course I needed something to fit the theme and I thought "This is it".

I scratchbuilt the headers from solder. Header Flanges are made out of sheet styrene. When I got all eight pipes on their place and glued on, I made the collectors from the same material as I used for those injector stacks, but of course a larger diameter one. I also started building the floor, but it's in very beginning stages and I'll post a picture of it when I get some more work done with it. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the headers I made.

DSCN0656_zps431713ef.jpg

DSCN0658_zps679cc8f7.jpg

DSCN0659_zps781e7739.jpg

And here is our place in the show. Unfortunately you can see me building this Fiat in the picture, too. :lol:

a9fbf8b0-b99c-43a7-a2ed-990ae9f6d523_zps

Here are all pics from the show:

http://tapahtumakuvi... 15.-16.2.2014/

#34 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Nice job on those headers.

#35 Skypower

Skypower

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Full Name:Bob LeHoullier

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Niko thanks for sharing the pics from the show and glad to see this one coming back to life, motor looks great.

#36 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Great looking headers Niko..

#37 Dragfreak

Dragfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brunelle

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Nice to see you back at it with this again, Now what did you use and how did you make the injector tubes? everywhere I look to buy them is ridiculous expensive and those look spot on!

#38 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Reminds me of the Crosleys that were raced.
bobthehobbyguy

#39 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate it.

Nice to see you back at it with this again, Now what did you use and how did you make the injector tubes? everywhere I look to buy them is ridiculous expensive and those look spot on!

Umm, I was afraid that someone would ask that question at some point. :lol:  The problem is that I really don't know, which sounds funny, but it actually is true...
But here are a couple of pictures so that maybe someone can tell me what these exactly are. I bought a set of these from a local craft store. I'm pretty sure that they are some parts for electrical components, but I don't know what they exactly are. This set has 300 of them in different sizes and it cost about 7 Euros.

DSCN0672_zps58adedd6.jpg

DSCN0671_zps7f1803d5.jpg

To use them only thing you have to do is remove that colored plastic part. It comes off very easily with a couple of light knocks with a little hammer.

#40 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Niko…….very cool…….love the idea.