Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell is reissuing the 'Can-Do' (Steeps) tow truck...

All I can say is that I am sad/mad at the same time.

I'm unemployed almost a year and a half and there are so many reissues and new kits on the market at the same period that I can't affort it.

This one is a hit between my legs.

BS EU financial crisis.

Kostas.

I'm unemployed almost a year and a half and there are so many reissues and new kits on the market at the same period that I can't affort it.

BS EU financial crisis.

Kostas.

Don't give up hope. I've been unemployed myself for awhile and I know what it's like to have to settle for being just a spectator in a hobby I've been involved with for nearly 40 years. I was ecstatic about this time last year when the reissue of the 1/16 Peterbilt 359 was announced, but I knew it would be awhile before I could afford to get one. I never knew it would take almost a year before I could afford to get two of the kits to start my latest project. I would love to run out and buy all these reissued 1/25 truck kits that have been coming out just to stash them in the closet for "someday", but it's not possible right now. The kits you want will be around for a long time, and things will get better for you, just be patient. :)

Edited by Mike77

Revell should bring out only the towing unit as an kit. with an lower price tag.

The pete and chassis i have built enough and not like to start them over again.

I think it would be an hammer, i would buy one immediatly for lot's of other trucks to fit.

BS EU financial crisis.

Kostas.

One thing I did when cash was tight and I wanted a new reissue kit was to take some of my older sealed kits that I lost interest in and traded them in at the hobbyshop for some reissue kits. If you have any unstarted or factory sealed kits that you may be willing to give up your local hobbyshop may be able to trade them for a new kit.

Revell should bring out only the towing unit as an kit. with an lower price tag.

The pete and chassis i have built enough and not like to start them over again.

I think it would be an hammer, i would buy one immediatly for lot's of other trucks to fit.

Thats a good idea, I like it, to bad it will never happen

Don't give up hope. I've been unemployed myself for awhile and I know what it's like to have to settle for being just a spectator in a hobby I've been involved with for nearly 40 years. I was ecstatic about this time last year when the reissue of the 1/16 Peterbilt 359 was announced, but I knew it would be awhile before I could afford to get one. I never knew it would take almost a year before I could afford to get two of the kits to start my latest project. I would love to run out and buy all these reissued 1/25 truck kits that have been coming out just to stash them in the closet for "someday", but it's not possible right now. The kits you want will be around for a long time, and things will get better for you, just be patient. :)

I suffer from this same issue right now . I've been layed off since Dec '12, I have been lucky enough to have good friends give me kits, but I also take this time to go back and re-build some of my past efforts that were not so good. Still nothing beats having a job and going to the hobby shop just to buy a kit.

Thanks guys. At least my favorit football team Olympiakos FC make it double this yeat (champion & cap) and also my favorit basketball team Olympiakos since last night is 3rd time in history and second time in two seasons European Champion in the final four of Euroleague.

Thats something.

Kostas.

• 3 weeks later...

The original kit was based on a wrecker used by Stepp's Towing in Florida, "Can-Do" was their motto...

http://steppstowing.com/index.html

Actually, "Can Do" was the truck's name.

steppswrecker006custom_zps1623142a.jpg

Stepp's even reissued "Can Do"! :lol: I'm not sure of the year, but as I was Googling pics of the real Can Do, I found this one that has "Can Do Restored" on it.

3597117061_94c7413314_zps9f29ac57.jpg

The biggest changes I see between the two, other than some paintwork changes, are chicken lights on the air cleaners and a whole new lighted front bumper, Alcoa wheels on the rear axles instead of the chrome Budd simulators, and new modern LED lightbars.

IIRC, though, these kits come with quite a few extra parts. I seem to recall either this kit or the Bill Signs kit coming with a second frame, a complete sleeper, and a headache rack among other parts. Even if they're selling for three figures, once you take that and the overall quality of the kits into consideration I don't think the prices being asked would be unreasonable at all.

Yes Chuck, the Can Do does come with parts from the regular Pete 359 kits like the headache rack and some half fenders for the rear and other odds and ends, but the sleeper is actually part of the Can Do truck. As for an extra frame, that's a no go! There are two different sets of frame rails, one for a normal Pete 359 tandem axle like the "Black Magic" or any of the other reissues of that truck and since "Can Do" is a modified reissue of that kit also, that explains the extra parts box fodder, but two complete frames can't be built from the extras. All of the reddish colored pieces in my frame in this pic are from the standard tandem axle frame that have to be used for the tri-axle frame.

Picture004.jpg

At least this was much better than the cut in half and reglue frames of the 353 tri drive versions of these Petes to add the third axle!

steppswrecker006custom_zps1623142a.jpg

Stepp's even reissued "Can Do"! :lol: I'm not sure of the year, but as I was Googling pics of the real Can Do, I found this one that has "Can Do Restored" on it.

3597117061_94c7413314_zps9f29ac57.jpg

The biggest changes I see between the two, other than some paintwork changes, are chicken lights on the air cleaners and a whole new lighted front bumper, Alcoa wheels on the rear axles instead of the chrome Budd simulators, and new modern LED lightbars.

About time they upgraded it to my standards! :lol:

1/16...

gallery_11866_1019_8703.jpg

About time they upgraded it to my standards! :lol:

1/16...

gallery_11866_1019_8703.jpg

:lol::lol: I just seen how close I even paid attention to the restored version, they added a new wheellift to it too.

This would look good with either a Lonestar or Prostar cab on it. Who will be the first to make a conversion!

Yes, there are the 3 trucks coming. 359 from Revell Germany (which will likely be a higher retail than the tow truck), the tow truck from Revell USA, and the 1/16 Kenworth from Revell USA.

The way it was explained to me on pricing for Revell USA and Revell Germany kits.

Revell Germany kits as a whole kit, being produced in Poland and being a Germany company, that there are more customs taxes on the "complete" kit being imported into the US, than just bags of parts being imported. The kit being a RoG kit, will still be produced in Poland at their factory, but only the bags of parts will be shipped to the US, the box, instructions and decals would then be added in the US to make a complete kit, thus avoiding excise taxes on complete kits.

One has to only look at the other co-op Revell USA/RoG kits to see a big difference in price. One of the last ones was the Ferrari 599 GTO. In the US, the RoG kit was about $40, yet the same kit reboxed into a Revell USA box was about $25, and all because of some US import tax on complete kits from Germany/Poland that has probably been on the books since the end of WWII.

That is very interesting information Scott, that explains a lot why the price of the wrecker was stated to be so low. That also explains why years ago I found the Revell USA boxed Italeri Ford Aeromax for $9.99 when other Italeri kits were selling for $30 to $40.