#21 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

I just tell them that this is my hobby, if I started doing this for money, it would become a job, and would take all of the fun out of my hobby, so  NO!

#22 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I just tell them that this is my hobby, if I started doing this for money, it would become a job, and would take all of the fun out of my hobby, so  NO!

Exactly why I won't do it!   Earlier in life I was an enthusiastic stamp collector.  That led to becoming a dealer and brokering collections and such. I got so involved in that aspect that I never had time to work on my own collection. And when I had time, I didn't want to look at another stamp! 

#23 Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Clancy

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

I would tell them your precious time is for your builds and direct them to the diecast world.  I have built several models of 1-1 and given as surprise gifts but if asked and/or pestered it probably wouldn't happen.  Stick with your gut on this one.  

#24 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

I face the same issue. I politley tell them you have to pay for talent and its not cheap. ThT usually shuts them down. If not i tell them when your hobby becomes your job then its no fun. And i enjoy my hobby. I treasure my bench time as i work 50 plus hours and my comute time plus family duties. Dont let them pressure you into doing it.