Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Pontiac Catalina Super Stocker

W-409

This was basically finished last year, but I FINALLY got the Hood repainted properly. Or it's far from perfect, but that's the best I could get.

This started from AMT '62 Catalina 2 In 1 kit. The Custom version was nice too, but because there were optional parts for Early '60s Super Stocker, it was clear that I'd build that version. My dad decided to build his as Howard Maseles' Packer Pontiac, so I went with the kit decals to create "Mr. B's Passionate Poncho".

The kit was really nice, and my build started from the engine (As usual). I had to find correct paint color for Pontiac's engine, and this is the best one I came up with. Engine got some extra details, but not as many as some of my other builds. I had to sand material off from the Fan Belt and Fan, because they were way too thick and other little touchups were done, but nothing too critical.

Kit's interior is really nicely done, but from my version, there was a big part of rear seat missing. Luckily I managed to fix the problem with some sheet styrene and bondo. Interior seat colors are mixed from a bunch of Enamel Paints to create maybe a bit more accurate paint scheme for the interior. Seat belts are only thing I added there, otherwise it's Box Stock.

Chassis is nice too and especially I liked the tires and wheels. They went together nicely and caused me no problem. Paint is Maston (Spray Can) with clear coat and polishing. This was nice kit to work with, really worth buying.

DSCN2709.jpg

DSCN2699.jpg

DSCN2698.jpg

DSCN2687.jpg

DSCN2712.jpg

Wow that looks great, man i wish I could do tire letters like that

Laz

They come in the kit like that. You can also get tire packs from AMT with 4 different sets of two tampo print styles on the side walls. There is a thread on here somewhere on the AMT tire packs too.

Great looking build. I did one of these a few months back. and it instantly became one of my favorite kits / cars .

Isn't painting the 3 tone interior fun ?

You did well grasshopper, take a bow.

Edited by gtx6970

Well done man. I have one also, it is about 95% done, just temporarily lost interest in it. I wish I had known about the R&M louvered hood, I definitely would have added that on, the real car as seen in the box photo shows the louvers. Oh well, in any case yours looks great Nick, the 60's super stockers are my fave subject.

Thanks for the great comments guys!

The tires came like that, as Andy mentioned, and they are excellent. I have also the Racemaster Parts Pack that has those tires with different kinds of sidewall details, but they are too nice and I haven't used them yet on my builds. :lol:

Jonathan: Yes, I've never been a fan of decal work, especially on the bodies. :D But luckily these were good quality and I managed to get them installed pretty nicely.

Bill: I had no masking tape on the interior, or the one I had was too strong and it would have pulled the paint off also. And since then, I haven't built three color interiors. :P

Nick: Bummer about the Hood. I didn't know there was one available, so I just went with the kit hood. Oh well, if I ever build another one, then I'll have to keep this in mind.

Sean: Post pics of your build also. I'm a fan of all Stockers and Super Stockers in any scale, not only because we're building a 1:1 '74 Chevelle for Stock Eliminator with my dad.

Thanks again for the nice comments, they all are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gene!

These Pontiacs are really nice, just like all other GMs from that era. I'd like to get one more of these some day and make it as a Street Car with body colored Steelies and Dog Dishes.