Revell's plastic crazing under Duplicolor...anyone else seeing this?

• You cannot reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic

#61 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,012 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

You're right. I was ticked off and frustrated and shot off before thinking through what I should have said. My apologies. I actually like Revell most of the time, but I DO think the plastic in question is inferior to earlier stuff.

To be fair, its just not Revell either,   one of the reason's I switch to Tamiya was that all new Japanese kits are the same way to , the craze/etch very easy if you use hot primer ,  I dont like getting less for more , I would much rather buy Dupli/Plastikot primers.

#62 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

To be fair, its just not Revell either,   one of the reason's I switch to Tamiya was that all new Japanese kits are the same way to , the craze/etch very easy if you use hot primer ,  I dont like getting less for more , I would much rather buy Dupli/Plastikot primers.

While we're being fair, I pulled some kits from other manufacturers off the shelves today and found several that have the very soft look of the one I've been whining about. And interestingly, the snappers seem to be made of the hardest, best material.

#63 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,012 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

While we're being fair, I pulled some kits from other manufacturers off the shelves today and found several that have the very soft look of the one I've been whining about. And interestingly, the snappers seem to be made of the hardest, best material.

I have to noticed that about snapper kits as well,  kind of odd, but I am sure there is a reason behind it,   I guess I dont know this, but what is it to look for to see if its soft plastic?

#64 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I used to use Veriprime two part primer by Dupont, but had to buy it in bulk, it had a shelf life, was not not cheap etc etc, but you did get a good barrier.

BUT!...in the last couple years, I started using Tamiya as well. It is not cheap, but a can will do several kits. I use both their filler/surfacer, and they smooth primer for the final prime.  I have not had any issues yet, BUT....I too do mist coats.

#65 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Not relevant, but if this bothers you, be glad you don't live in CA. The shops are using water soluble paint, not by choice. There was even talk of banning black paint on new cars a couple years back, because "they absorb too much heat, requiring you to run your A/C more, resulting in more carbon emissions". The people in charge should be riding the short bus. 

The allowance on chemical container sizes varies from county to county in Southern Ca, with San Diego basically dictating the entire country. You can'r buy certain chemicals in liters anymore, but they're okay in quarts. Can't buy them in gallons, but 4 quart is fine. I think I'm dumber now after just typing this out. 

Given the number of mentall/reasoning-capacity deficient who fancy themselves in charge (and sadly, in many cases, are in fact in charge), the short bus is going to have to be the length of a city block.

Charlie Larkin

#66 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have to noticed that about snapper kits as well,  kind of odd, but I am sure there is a reason behind it,   I guess I dont know this, but what is it to look for to see if its soft plastic?

My guess...it IS the better stuff and more durable, and figuring most snap-kits are probably going to get played with at least a little, they need something that'll hold up.

Charlie Larkin

#67 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

My guess...it IS the better stuff and more durable, and figuring most snap-kits are probably going to get played with at least a little, they need something that'll hold up.

Charlie Larkin

That is what I was thinking. Different target market

#68 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

FWIW I think China is on it's way out as the cheapest manufacturing centre of choice (when I was a kid it was Japan, then Hong Kong).

A lot of the real nasty cheap BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH we get in the (Aussie)$ shops these days is made in Indonesia and Bangladeshi labour is apparently even cheaper.

However, I think that the future is East Africa.  Build your manufacturing plant in, say, Liberia ignoring any 1st world WH&S requirements and ship in your workforce from any of the conveniently located refugee camps in the region.

Shipping to the US will be cheaper as the Atlantic is narrower than the Pacific and funding can easilly be raised from the US by playing on white mans guilt over the slave trade (or by fooling African Americans into believing that they are helping their "people" by exploiting them).

#69 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

and I don't think anything is different today.  I recently pulled the MPC '67 Corvette  "Streaker" kit done in 1972 from my stash to build the rusty Corvette. The plastic was this milky opaque soft stuff with a lot of flash on the parts and trees.  I also noticed that it heated up from friction easy as it was clogging up the drill bits with melted plastic as I used my small battery power drill.