jerry clayton

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:jerry clayton

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Bill Davis----

Sorry I was not able to show up there---------being a retired United pilot riding on a pass used to be easy-----now they only fly 60 passenger airplanes between Chicago and Salt Lake and I couldn't get on------maybe someday soon--------

Jerry

#22 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

NO GSL pics as of yet and when the NNL East was over there were TONS of photos. While I've never been to s GSL Meet, it's not on my bucket list as I was in Salt Lake City back in '78 and even visited with Mark Gustavson at his home. At the time, I didn't see anything that was special about Salt Lake City.

That's because guys were within driving distance of NNL East and posted the photos when they got home.  More folks fly to GSL and the delay in posting photos is because of the travel time.  I know that when it's over on Sunday around noon, we usually pointed the car in some odd direction to do some sight seeing. Then we'd fly home on Monday, with jet lag back to the east coast, that put my picture posting til Tuesday.

#23 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I am so glad I got to see Jim's "Making Memories" diorama in person. You've heard the description of really good models that look better in person. If I've ever seen a museum worthy model, this is it. All the gray scale details are crystal clear and the miniature lighting adds a touch that you just don't see on the internet. The story jumps right out at you!

Art Laski has a drop dead georgeous black Corvette, and John Teresi looks to have half the categories covered with several more examples of awesomeness.

I've been busy visiting family, so I haven't run into Bill Davis yet, but his work speaks for itself.

Way too many jewels to describe them all. Say a prayer for the judges :)

Good luck to you all.

Thanks, Alyn, for the comment on the 'vette. Congrats on placing with the T Tow Truck! Great to see you again, and  I really enjoyed talking to your dad as well. Neat guy.

Just got back from my first GSL, WOW what an experience! every one has to put this on their bucket list!!! I got to meet all of my heroes and visit with them as well as see their creations up close and personal! Made a lot of new friends as well.

Even though it was my first GSL every one made us feel very welcomed, I had no idea Salt Lake City was so beautiful! Having a mountain top view from the motel was just icing on the cake!

Congrats to all who received awards, I feel it is an honor just to place at this event, top honors went to Greg Nicols with his 1/25 scale all brass and aluminum roadster called Backdraft, all most 10 years in the making I understand, wait till you see this!!

thanks to all who made us feel so welcome and Mr. Gustavson for the invite.

Bill, it was absolutely great to meet you and congratulations on the win in Replica class with the Keeling and Clayton car. Very well deserved!

Here are some pics I took, Sorry for the blurry ones.

http://public.fotki....ski48/gsl-xxiv/

Edited by Art Laski, 06 May 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#24 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Bill Davis----

Sorry I was not able to show up there---------being a retired United pilot riding on a pass used to be easy-----now they only fly 60 passenger airplanes between Chicago and Salt Lake and I couldn't get on------maybe someday soon--------

Jerry

Hi Jerry, sorry you couldn't make it out, I appreciate you even considering coming, there is all ways the Heartland coming up in June in Kansas City, another great show a little closer lol,

#25 Ognib

Ognib

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Haines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Here is the winning car in 2007.  Done by Greg Nichols

Beautiful piece of work.

GreggNichols1-vi.jpg

Very nice!

#26 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

And here they are:

http://public.fotki...._cars/gsl-xxiv/

#27 simonr

simonr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Oh yes, back again from a great model car weekend at SLC...This year I feel that it wasn't some mech models than the last one but, the level of craftmaship and details was over any level. Like always, the group that organized this great event hit it in the bullseye with great seminars, vendors, the museum tour, the auction and all the other great events. Also, I saw old friends, made some news and everyone there was respectfull and very friendly...To me, this is the top level model car show to be...See you guys in the XXV in 2015!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

#28 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Full Name:Chas Cochran

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Just got on the computer for the first time today and all I can say is wow what a show, Great meeting Bill Davis for the first time and had fun with Art and John, Simon  and Mike thanks for sunday we had a great time like normal. Thanks to Mark D Jones for all the help that will be needed for this next project and so many great builders to name!

Congrats to all the winner and Gregg for Backdraft taking it all home!

#29 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Steve for the great photos. I may have to start planning for 2015.

#30 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

It would be great to see you there again, Phil!

#31 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

We will all need to get out to GSL in 2015. That's the 25th anniversary!  

For those of you who have never been to GSL, it's like Disney World for modelers.  I went out in 2001 for what I thought would be a one time trip. I had so much fun that I've been back every two years, except the last two shows due to personal circumstances.  It's one of those places you can go all by yourself, knowing no one, and within a short time you are friends with everyone! 

The first trip I met Bob Paeth of the old Revell, who gave me the entire inside story of the release of the '57 Nomad kit, one of my favorites as a kid.  Then I went out again in 2003 and just when I thought nothing magic would happen, another one of my childhood heros, Tom Daniel walked in. I never thought I'd be having a beer with him, discussing my favorite old customs.  And every trip out there has been fun like that!

It's not a huge event, just a few hundred people, but it's the right people! I've met some amazing folks at GSL.   And I've seen some of the world's best models.  Don't let that scare you from coming and bringing models. There are also a lot of models built by guys like you and me on display.  It's a well rounded event!  You owe it to yourself to make the trip at least once. Most folks who do that wind up being regulars.

#32 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Tom it would be great to see you back out there again also! I'm still trying to get back to the east as soon as I can figur out a way of putting it between builds and time wise.

#33 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Tom it would be great to see you back out there again also! I'm still trying to get back to the east as soon as I can figur out a way of putting it between builds and time wise.

Chas, come to NNL East next year!  It's an off year for GSL so you need to do a trip in April!  Look forward to seeing you too!

#34 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Well said, Tom. The first time I went to GSL I didn't even bring a model to show, but after that I've always brought something. Even if you don't have a winning entry, it's a way of getting to know your fellow modellers. When I got a fourth in class at GSL XXI I was surprised and overjoyed, but I don't anticipate that happening again - the standards seem to get higher with every show.

And speaking of boyhood idols, one of the thrills at the last few GSLs for me was meeting and listening to Don Emmons - builder and writer of articles in Rod & Custom Models and the inspiration for much of my model building to this day.

#35 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

And speaking of boyhood idols, one of the thrills at the last few GSLs for me was meeting and listening to Don Emmons - builder and writer of articles in Rod & Custom Models and the inspiration for much of my model building to this day.

I agree Steve!  Don is a great guy and never stops!  Years ago he came to NNL East and we had dinner the night before the show.  It was fun hearing his stories.  The year they debuted his display at the museum, he was out there the entire day as all the tours went through.  He got back to the hotel late and I spied him grabbing a late dinner in the hotel bar.  I thought he'd be tired and want a little privacy but he waved me over. It was nice to share a quiet little meal with him once again.

#36 Nitro Neil

Nitro Neil

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Full Name:Neil Van Zile, Jr.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

We will all need to get out to GSL in 2015. That's the 25th anniversary!  

Tom, do you know the date for GSL XXV? I need to start saving my coin for the airplane ticket...

#37 sfhess

sfhess

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Neil,

Start saving anyway.  First Weekend in May.

Here's a link to my Fotki page for GSL 24: http://public.fotki....ss/gsl24photos/

#38 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

GSL 25 dates are April 30th till May 3rd 2015!

#39 Nitro Neil

Nitro Neil

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Full Name:Neil Van Zile, Jr.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Thanks guys

#40 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

Now on the GSL website are photos of all the winners

GSL XXIV Awards Brunch Presentation/Winners (html) (pdf)

http://www.gslchampi....org/index.html