#21 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Full Name:Jürgen Kowalski

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Skip, in those days customers could order either only a running chassis or a complete car with a standard Mercedes coachwork. The factory coachwork always had cycle wings and looked like this:

This is the displayed original SSK in the Mercedes-Museum in Stuttgart. 

Of course it is possible that owners modified their car later on, f. e. to make it road legal in their country.

Customers who ordered only a running chassis felt free to fit any bespoke coachwork to their chassis.

Your pictures show some examples. On top ist a coachwork by Murphy of California. The second and the third could probably be French. The fourth shows a SSKL like I built.

You can recognize the same mesh radiator guard on this SSKL as on my photo

Edited by Plastheniker, 12 February 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#22 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

If you really want to emulate the car in the painting you showed above, you'll save yourself a lot of agony (and create other types of agony) if you go with the 1/16 Mercedes SS Sonder Kabriolet, usually available on eBay. It can be built with or without a running board. This is the one I've been planning for a very long time.

http://www.freewebs....8mercedesss.htm

Here's what it would look like without the running board shown in the link above:

Attached File  32 SS harvey side enhanced from png copy.png   516.48KB   6 downloads

Edited by sjordan2, 07 May 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#23 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Skip, if you are interested you can see my pctures in a German forum.

http://www.wettringe...&threadID=44033

I hope it works.

Kenneth, Skip's hint is excellent. The 1/16 Entex/Gakken/Revell Mercedes SS is probably one of the best and most attractive car kits ever made. I suppose the box still contains real (!) wire wheels. 

#24 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Full Name:Kenneth Borst

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I will use the link for the engine,,,,,I want to get enuff garbage on it so it looks well detailed but you have seen what I do and I know it will never look like the real thing.......I went a little overboard on the Bentley motor.. :P ....I scratch build with an exatco knife and 4 files and a candle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D what do you expect :lol:

I know there is a significant different in the SSK and the 710 SS.....What I am thinking is to morph the 2 into one car using the body of the 710 to fit within the confines of the SSK. I think the thing that drew me to the 710 was the colours,,,,,,,,they reall set the car off but to get them right I need the 710 beading that the SSK just does not have......................if that makes any sense......... :blink: :huh:

#25 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

The wire wheels are the easy part...................... :rolleyes: Just have to sort out what I want to do with this to make it presentable when it is done........Skip...you know I am a gluton for doing things the hard way......... ;)

#26 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Skip, if you are interested you can see my pctures in a German forum.

http://www.wettringe...&threadID=44033

I hope it works.

Kenneth, Skip's hint is excellent. The 1/16 Entex/Gakken/Revell Mercedes SS is probably one of the best and most attractive car kits ever made. I suppose the box still contains real (!) wire wheels. 

Yes, it has the lacing wire wheels. I was so intimidated by them that I traded a 1/8 Jaguar E-Type to a friend who laced them for me! But if you look at Ken's other threads, you'll see that he's mastered the art of lacing wire wheels, which he could do just fine with the Lindberg SSK. Interestingly, the Revell version of the 1/16 kit doesn't have chromed wheel rims, while all the others do (I have the Entex/Revell/Minicraft versions).

And Jurgen, that SSK in your link is just awesome, over the top and overwhelming!! And, is the Bugatti Atlantic the Bburago kit? I'd love to see more pictures of that.

Question: Do you have digital files on the SSK instrument gauges? If you do, I could use them -- e-mail to sjordan47@comcast.net

#27 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Do you have digital files on the SSK instrument gauges? If you do, I could use them

Ditto on that one................................................... :P

#28 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm having difficulty posting multiple images, so I'll just go with this from my original owner's manual for SS/SSK/SSKL. 

Attached Files

Edited by sjordan2, 07 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#29 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

The Bugatti pictures are here

http://www.wettringe...&threadID=43679

Only the naked metal body except hood and radiator comes from a Burago ready-made diecast. The rest is self-made.

Indeed I have found a file named "SSKL Instrumente (=gauges)", but I do not remember what I really used for my model. It is stored with a MS word processing programme called "Works" that many computers cannot open. Shall I mail it anyway? Otherwise I could make a screenshot and post it as a ordinary jpg here. Please let me know.

I can do it not before tomorrow or Thursday because in Germany it is almost midnight. I hope you agree.

#30 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Here's my attempt at a translation of the caption on the diagram above. Perhaps Jurgen can correct it (Interesting to note that there's a remote tire pump on the dash).

INSTRUMENT PANEL

TRANSLATION FROM SS MANUAL

11 3001 = Injection pump

13 431 = Pressure gauge shutoff valve*

85 701 = Oil pressure gauge

85 721 = Tachometer

85 756 = Speedometer & odometer

85 901 = Switchbox

85 951 = Instrument panel lights

85 1002 = Clock

85 1101 = Fuel gauge

85 1142 = Air pressure gauge*

85 1161 = Water temperature

85 1171 = Ignition switch

85 1181 = Fuel overflow*

85 1191 = Starting lever

85 1301 = Hand tire pump*

90 331 = Horn switch

99 403 = Plug contact for hand lamp

* “only with fuel = demand by tire pump”

#31 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Only the naked metal body except hood and radiator comes from a Burago ready-made diecast. The rest is self-made.

Indeed I have found a file named "SSKL Instrumente (=gauges)", but I do not remember what I really used for my model. It is stored with a MS word processing programme called "Works" that many computers cannot open. Shall I mail it anyway? Otherwise I could make a screenshot and post it as a ordinary jpg here. Please let me know.

I can do it not before tomorrow or Thursday because in Germany it is almost midnight. I hope you agree.

I'm on Mac. so any unusual software probably won't work. A large screen shot would be great. I've been working in Photoshop Elements and other graphics programs to try to sharpen up the diagram above enough to reduce to the proper scale, but I still have to keep trying.

Edited by sjordan2, 07 May 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#32 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Jürgen... I clicked on your link. Your model is absolutely spectacular!

Could you post a few photos here on our forum?

#33 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

That Bugatti is also spectacular -- I have the built-up diecast and a couple of Bburago assembly kit versions, and I can see everything you did to it. It appears to be the Pope Atlantic before Ralph Lauren had it restored. Any engine shots? And how did you open the side vents on the hood?

Edited by sjordan2, 07 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#34 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

From works you can save as a pdf file,,,,,,,I can transfer that to the programs I use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you...

more later.

#35 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,428 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Glad to see this thread. I've bought a couple of these as g-bomb kit-bash fodder, and one virgin-in-the-box, cheap. Always got the impression from the somewhat toylike appearance that many things were wrong, and the proportions seemed off. Still, it always looked to have potential. Thanks to all for making research materials more available.

#36 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

For an experiment I sanded the back of the wire wheel off until all that was showing was the wire,,,,,,vast improvement but not sure. it does have some depth to it and the chrome will match the grill ect.

DSCN4669_zpsf54982ce.jpg

The lacing is really small and trying to get a decent rim is posing s problem, I might just try to cut out everything other than the rim and cast what is left....same with the hub.

Edited by kennb, 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#37 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

For an experiment I sanded the back of the wire wheel off until all that was showing was the wire,,,,,,vast improvement but not sure. it does have some depth to it and the chrome will match the grill ect.

DSCN4669_zpsf54982ce.jpg

The lacing is really small and trying to get a decent rim is posing s problem, I might just try to cut out everything other than the rim and cast what is left....same with the hub.

Nice job. However, chrome wheels would not be authentic except for a modern over-restoration -- nothing more than painted silver or body accent color, such as white or red would be period-correct.

#38 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I've uploaded several engine and detail shots here on page one:

http://s827.photobuc...rdan47/library/

PS: Here's the way I'm going to build my 1/16 SS cabriolet:

33SSCabALARGEcopy.jpg

33SSLEFTSIDE.png

Edited by sjordan2, 08 May 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#39 kennb

kennb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

gorgous vehicle (those colours ?)

#40 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

gorgous vehicle (those colours ?)

Dark gray and black with a red interior. The photos have different color balances because one was shot with flash (the top of the hood is closer to the actual color) and the other was shot at "golden hour" at dusk. I talked to the photographer (www.schlegelmilch.com) of the bottom shot and he said the car was a somewhat dark gray, so I'll be using Tamiya TS-4 German Gray, if it's dark enough.

Edited by sjordan2, 08 May 2013 - 09:47 AM.