Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's true...I have cancer...

I've received a bunch of messages and emails asking me if this is true. Since it was on Facebook it's no secret. I was diagnosed with advanced Prostate Cancer a couple of weeks ago. I've already been started on a Testosterone blocker pill to stop the production of the hormone, which feeds prostate cancer. I go to the hospital tomorrow for a bone scan and a CT scan. Then next week I see the oncologist to have the cancer graded and staged. Then get the plan of attack. Most likely this will be a few weeks of this blocker pill followed by a couple of months of radiation and chemo to shrink the prostate. Then surgery to remove it. The cancer has already spread a little to the surrounding tissue but they think that can be taken care of.

While it certainly sucks to get the news you have cancer, my urologist believes I will have an excellent prognosis down the road. I am 61 now and my father had this same thing when he was around my age. And he is 83 now and doing fine. It is indeed scary but I have great confidence in my Doctors. And I have lost 51 pounds now from Weight Watchers and working out every day so I'm in much better shape to go through this ordeal. Add to that the huge amount of support I have gotten from my friends and I'm determined to beat this thing!

Hey...life is like playing cards...you gotta play the hand you've been dealt.

Edited by Terry Sumner

I'm real sorry to hear this Terry. But it sounds like you're in good hands, and with a great mental attitude. I think you're gonna be fine, but getting there is gonna suck for a while.

Edited by Jantrix

Sorry to hear that news, Terry. I'm glad you have a positive attitude, however!

It just seems so wrong to survive a career on the line only to be struck by this nasty disease.

We'll be here for you and with you. God be with you as you meet this challenge.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Terry- Remember that you are not alone. There are of a lot of us out their who have been through it at varying levels. You can and should find another survivor near by that you can talk to. It will help a lot. They got to mine pretty early but this is the second time I have had to put up with male specific cancer. I am now 63 the first time was about 40 years ago the last was 3 years ago. You just have to keep on keeping on. One day at a time man! Good luck.

Edited by Pete J.

Sorry to hear that Terry. :( I hope all goes well for you. IMO, a positive spirit and attitude is some of the best medicine there is. Prayers help a ton also!

Just take one day at a time, Terry. Prostate cancer hit me 7 years ago and after surgery I'm still kickin' around. My doctor said if a man is going to get cancer, let it be prostate cancer and find it early.

All you guys out there - GET EXAMINED ANNUALLY!!!

Guest Johnny

Don't like hearing things like this Terry, I know you sure as heck didn't. But I guess it is all part of life.

We will keep you in our prayers.

But I guess if you had to have it, at least you have it in a time which they have made great advances in treatment and cures.

I know at least half a dozen men who have the same issue and am happy to say all have passed the ten year mark one is at 16 years!