258 replies to this topic

#41 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I didn't ask if the 14" Goodyear Eagle ST tires and 14" Goodyear rear slicks are going to be included (in addition to the larger diameter Foose wheels and matching tires and the stock 15" Rally wheels and skinny tires) but even if they aren't, the STs are still easily to found on eBay or from other sources.

The optional 14" Cragar 5-spokes the original 3'n'1 kit included are pretty outdated by now, and the 14" Centerline two-piece-look wheels included with the '67 Vette kit also scream 1980's, so I can understand Revell adding a new set of wheels and tires to freshen up this kit. The wide whitewalls from the '57 Chevy Bel Air kit are one of the only other commonly available kit tires in 1/12 scale, and they look out of place on a late '60 ponycar, so tire options sourced from kits are quite limited. The Camaro's 15" Rally wheels are very basic, too, with the wheel, trim ring, and center cap all molded as one piece. You could source the Goodyear Gatorback 16" tires from either the 1/12 Testarossa or F40 kits, but again you're limited to the 5-star Ferrari wheels unless you want to make or modify your own.

I hope this kit leads to the 1/12 '67 Vette being reissued with similar, larger diameter wheels and tires, too.

#42 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Carns

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I for one am going to look for the Cragar S/S wheels from the 57 kit to go on the Camaro.

#43 The Creative Explorer

The Creative Explorer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Full Name:Erik

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

You could source the Goodyear Gatorback 16" tires from either the 1/12 Testarossa or F40 kits, but again you're limited to the 5-star Ferrari wheels unless you want to make or modify your own.

Actually, I am doing that at the moment for my 1/12 Datsun, the F40 wheels are a great base for making an own wheel, you can cut out the 5-star from the inside and have a very nice sleeve left over.

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

Actually, I am doing that at the moment for my 1/12 Datsun, the F40 wheels are a great base for making an own wheel, you can cut out the 5-star from the inside and have a very nice sleeve left over.

I think I test fit the F40 tires on a 1/12 '69 Camaro I had at the time, but they looked a bit too small to me. If someone has both the 1/12 '69 body and a set of tires from the 1/12 Shelby GT500 kit, I'd be interested to see how well those work together.

#45 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,273 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

Wheel options for 1/12 kits?

Check out a well-stocked R/C hobby shop.  There's a huge number of wheels for 1/10-ish scale R/C cars ... most of which would not work, but some of which are very good-looking and appear adaptable to the 1/12 static kits.  They offer some options, as there are some very modern styles available.

#46 The Creative Explorer

The Creative Explorer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

I think I test fit the F40 tires on a 1/12 '69 Camaro I had at the time, but they looked a bit too small to me. If someone has both the 1/12 '69 body and a set of tires from the 1/12 Shelby GT500 kit, I'd be interested to see how well those work together.

I need to make dinner at the moment, give me some time and I will post tonight (my tonight, not yours :) ) some pictures.

#47 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wheel options for 1/12 kits?

Check out a well-stocked R/C hobby shop.  There's a huge number of wheels for 1/10-ish scale R/C cars ... most of which would not work, but some of which are very good-looking and appear adaptable to the 1/12 static kits.  They offer some options, as there are some very modern styles available.

1/10 scale on-road R/C wheels are 2.2", so that scales out to about a 26" wheel in 1/12. 

#48 The Creative Explorer

The Creative Explorer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I need to make dinner at the moment, give me some time and I will post tonight (my tonight, not yours :) ) some pictures.

I hope these pictures are clear enough for you Casey. I think the tires look realistically wide enough, not overdone.

Attached Files

#49 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Perfect, Erik. Thank you.  :)

#50 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,273 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

1/10 scale on-road R/C wheels are 2.2", so that scales out to about a 26" wheel in 1/12. 

All of them?   I've seen wide variety in R/C wheels ... some that would look good, some that wouldn't look bad, and a lot that just wouldn't work. 

Edited by Danno, 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#51 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

All of them?   I've seen wide variety in R/C wheels ... some that would look good, some that wouldn't look bad, and a lot that just wouldn't work. 

Not all of them, the rims made for 1/10 scale touring cars are usually 1.9" while the Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec uses 2" and Tamiya's M-Chassis cars use 1.6" rims.

#52 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not all of them, the rims made for 1/10 scale touring cars are usually 1.9" while the Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec uses 2" and Tamiya's M-Chassis cars use 1.6" rims.

Brain fart.  Touring cars are 1.9".  Always been an off-road guy myself, that's why I had 2.2" on the brain.   1.9"'s would be about 22" in 1/12th scale

#53 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I've been doing plenty of research into larger diameter wheels and tires for a 1/12 kit. What I found that I'm going to use on my 1/12 Doyusha Mustang is a set of resin Cragar wheels made for the GT500 kit, along with a set of HPI R/C tires that scale out to be around 19" wheels and roughly 26" tires.

If they do plan on the larger wheels and tires for the Camaro kit, I hope that they make them as "see through" wheels with available 4-wheel disc brakes.

#54 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Brain fart.  Touring cars are 1.9".  Always been an off-road guy myself, that's why I had 2.2" on the brain.   1.9"'s would be about 22" in 1/12th scale

That's why I also brought up the M-Chassis rolling stock, they should be a should scale out to 20" or less.  Another thing to look at are the "Vintage Trans Am" and Cup Racer rolling stock.

#55 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Doing a quick Google search, I've learned a few things.

1) Orange car in first post is the Foose designed Camaro for Unique Performance, the one for Year One is yellow and dark gray.

2) Unless Revell decides to tool up the RS grille, it will probably more than likely be like the black Camaro posted.

3) It will be yet another kit of just added wheels/tires, and probably decals. The real orange Camaro has a big block engine, and I'm sure Revell won't want to add the big block from the Corvette kit, even though it is a popular swap that I've seen on several builds.

The only thing I'm hoping for is the removal of the tunnel ram and an addition of some sort of fuel injection setup.

#56 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

The only thing I'm hoping for is the removal of the tunnel ram and an addition of some sort of fuel injection setup.

I could see something like that happening, though I think the new parts would be added without anything existing being deleted.

I think even a more typical single carb intake manifold and open element air cleaner, similar to the aftermarket pieces included with the '67 Vette kit, would be a welcome addition. The cross ram dual carb intake is rather obscure and was essentially a race part for the street, and the chambered exhaust system Revell-Monogram decided to include with both it's 1/25 and 1/12 scale '69 Camaro kits similarly obscure.

#57 Nate

Nate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Nate Johnson

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I could see something like that happening, though I think the new parts would be added without anything existing being deleted.

I think even a more typical single carb intake manifold and open element air cleaner, similar to the aftermarket pieces included with the '67 Vette kit, would be a welcome addition. The cross ram dual carb intake is rather obscure and was essentially a race part for the street, and the chambered exhaust system Revell-Monogram decided to include with both it's 1/25 and 1/12 scale '69 Camaro kits similarly obscure.

Judging by all of the other Foose branded modified re-issues, I doubt that they'll do anything other than just a new set of wheels and tires and maybe some decals. They will most likely not even provide parts that would alter the ride height to be fitting of most of Foose's 1:1 designs.

That being said, it would be awesome just to get a 1/12 set of decent aftermarket modern wheels and tires.

#58 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Judging by all of the other Foose branded modified re-issues, I doubt that they'll do anything other than just a new set of wheels and tires and maybe some decals. 

I think the forthcoming '67 Charger is supposed to have a new console, but don't quote me on that.

I'll take only new wheels and tires with the straight reissued kit and be happy with it.

#59 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think the forthcoming '67 Charger is supposed to have a new console, but don't quote me on that.

I'll take only new wheels and tires with the straight reissued kit and be happy with it.

I do wonder if the Charger will have the hood shown in the illustration (custom hood w/ '70 E-body style shaker scoop). That would be interesting...

#60 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Judging by all of the other Foose branded modified re-issues, I doubt that they'll do anything other than just a new set of wheels and tires and maybe some decals. They will most likely not even provide parts that would alter the ride height to be fitting of most of Foose's 1:1 designs.

That being said, it would be awesome just to get a 1/12 set of decent aftermarket modern wheels and tires.

I would personally talked to Jim at Micro Nitro and have him Turn some custom wheels for it  :D