bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hey guys,

ive been looking for a while and cant seem to find a resin kit/body of a 30 chevy pickup.  if anyone knows if there is one available please let me know.

my buddy bought a 1:1 and i want yo build him a replica by christmas.  any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

cheers

bryan m

Edited by bryan_m, 14 May 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#2 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Bryan, I have heard some people using Revell and MPC's Ford truck kits . The difference seems to be the hood shape and of course the grille shell.

#3 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Bryan, I've never seen any GM pickups in resin or styrene earlier than 1936...(I do hope that there is one out there I haven't heard of yet though ;) )

Danbury Mint did a 1/24 diecast of a roof-less '31 if all else fails. These can be had cheap sometimes, especially when damaged.

$T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseF5YBRM+0FZp2!~~60_57.J

Edited by jeffs396, 14 May 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#4 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Could you start with the Vampire Van for a starting point?

That would give you the front half of the cab .

After looking at the Roadster pickup above they are a little different . But you could always look at his truck for better feel of what you need. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup, 14 May 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#5 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

thanks guys!

Do you mean the "Barnabas Collins" van? i forget what it looks like.....im gonna check it out in a minute.

thanks again guys

Bryan

#6 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Check out the April issue of MCM. I have an article on how to convert the Barnabas Vampire Van into a 32 Chevy pickup. That should answer most of your questions on how to do the conversion.

#7 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

The  Barnabas Van is based on the '33 Panel, that used '32 passenger car front sheetmetal, until around '37 this was common practice with most of GM stuff, the commercial vehicles used front sheetmetal from the previous years passenger cars. Of course this applies to Light Trucks, the '30 Chevy Truck would look like the '28-'29 front passenger cars that were drastically different than the sheetmetal that was on the Barnabas Van. Unfortunately I don't know of any plastic kits of the real early Chevy's I would like to find some also I had a 1:1 '31 Coupe years ago & would like to make a model of what it would have looked like if I hadn't sold it before I finished it (the guy I sold it to hasn't touched it since '86, so I don't feel that bad about not finishing it either.