#21 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Very cool review/history  Thanks!   I have the Stomper pick up (I also had a large collection of the little stomper battery powered cars & trucks)  and I have the Hot Rod version of the model kits.

#22 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the history topic/lesson Chris.

I wouldn't have taken a nap if tree pics were included.

wink wink hint hint.

#23 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Full Name:Ellen Shaver

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the history topic/lesson Chris.

I wouldn't have taken a nap if tree pics were included.

wink wink hint hint.

James, you soooooooooooooo Funny ! B)  :lol:  :D  :P

#24 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I can help, as I recently acquired an unbuilt Billy Carter truck.

001_zps01c2893d.jpg

The tree layout is essentially the same on all the glue versions, other than the parts for the 2 with a non stock cab and the additional parts for the Ice Patrol Hot Rod versions.

#25 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,132 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Pics of the Ice Patrol decal sheet:

IMG_9205.jpg

Contest lit:

IcePatrolSweepstakes.jpg

The most disappointing thing about this series of kits is the front suspension, which is accurate for neither a C- (2WD) nor K-series (4WD) pickup. It does have parallel leaf springs up front, but has a solid beam or tube axle-- the same setup in every glue kit. Huge disappointment to say the least, and the Ice Patrol version's chassis/frame was laden with sink marks, not to mentioned the rear wheel arches had wheel flares but not the (mismatched) front wheel arches?!!? The Arctic Cat snowmobile did make up for some of the kit's shortcomings, but Chris' review of the Monogram, Revell, and MPC '73-'87(?) Chevy/GMC kits show how badly a new, modern kit is needed.

#26 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Here's a pic showing the MPC, Revell, and Monogram cabs together.

005_zpsc1ed1009.jpg

The MPC and Revell cabs are from original issue kits, the Monogram cab is from the recent GMC kit with the plow. Note how much larger the Monogram cab is. The MPC and Revell cabs are pretty close to the same size, with the Revell being slightly narrower, which messes up the proportions of the greenhouse.

#27 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for all of the history and background on these kits, I remember building many of them as a teenager and have a few of them in the stash in the garage.

I never was a big fan of the front suspension because as Casey pointed out, it ain't right! The MPC kit of the '78 2WD stepside was the closest to replicating a correct suspension.

If we could get a true new tool of this truck series, they could develop several tools including a medium duty cab as they aren't that much different. I do wonder how well the re-issued GMC with the snow plow has sold, I know I have done my best in helping them by purchasing/trading about 8 of them!

#28 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

I'd think the plow truck has been a pretty hot item, even if just for the plow! I do wish they'd update it a little with a factory steering wheel, and god only knows why they shipped it with a '50s fuelie small block! Otherwise it's not a bad. A 2wd version would go like gangbusters I'd think, but I'm no expert. A new tool 2wd on the level of the MPC '88 Silverado would me most appreciated and could be minimally modified for future releases to make newer/older body's, 4x4, etc. Could get alot of mileage out of it I'd think, but again, I'm no expert.

#29 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

I think the front suspension issues has a lot to do with the Sneaky Pete being the first issue of this tooling; it is close to something you would see on a full-size Peterbilt. The issue with the rear wheel wells is, as I stated, due to using a California Stepside bed. The fenders are the same in these kits, the Datsun pickups, and the Ford Courier. 

This generation of pickup lasted from 1973 to 1987 for regular cab trucks, 1991 for crew cab, Blazer, and Suburban. If Revell or AMT was to develop a new tool of this body style I would go bankrupt! I have three Revell kits, six Monogram kits, and seven (and counting) MPC kits!  :blink:

Edited by kataranga, 22 May 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#30 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

This generation of pickup lasted from 1973 to 1987 for regular cab trucks, 1991 for crew cab, Blazer, and Suburban. If Revell or AMT was to develop a new tool of this body style I would go bankrupt! 

I would join you in that problem Chris!

#31 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Why not use the chassis from the AMT Chevy Van (A-Team and the like) for a 2WD truck? The van and the pickup chassis seem to be pretty similar. I'm considering it with my truck when its turn finally comes up in the build queue. Someday. :)

Edited by SSNJim, 22 May 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#32 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

My buddy and inspiration Steve Milberry did just that, only with an MPC kit:

152_5275-vi.jpg

I also started to adapt the van suspension to a Revell kit with mixed results....

#33 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

That's just the kit I have in mind - the 1984 GMC MPC reissue.

#34 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Nice pics of the Billy Carter kit's contents via an eBay listing:

bcrp0.jpg

bcrp7.jpg

bcrp5.jpg

bcrp4.jpg

bcrp2.jpg

bbcrp1.jpg

The bed floor insert piece caught my eye as I don't think it was included in subsequent modified reissues. I know the Ice Patrol kit didn't have it, nor the four tire halves (which don't appear on the box but are mentioned), the stakesides. and the floor jack piece.

#35 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

The Big Red kit has the bed insert, jack, gas cans, and the extra tires. Other than the decals (which have a "Southern Redneck" theme) and the color of the plastic, it is a direct reissue of the Billy Carter truck.

#36 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Ice Patrol surprisingly received a new tooled cab that didn't come back until the HOT ROD issue; all other releases of the glue kit and the wrecker shared a different cab.

#37 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I like how the Ice Patrol build-up was photographed at a low angle to minimize the visibility of the top of the windshield, with its two connecting bar ends. Then, the Billy Carter version has a picture of the real truck, so no problem there...but then we see the problem on the Big Red version. Not only do those connecting bar ends stick out like a sore thumb, the top edge of the windshield is 1/32" lower than the body opening.  :huh:

#38 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

I don't even know how or if it is even possible to correct the windshield; any thoughts?

#39 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Why were these made with a separate rear wall for the cab?

#40 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Probably the same reason as the Monogram kits: the interior doesn't fit in the cab very easily with the rear wall attached.