#1 B.DougBeck

B.DougBeck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Beck

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have the opertunity to buy a Mad Max, Road Warrior Falcon. My only interest is in converting it to a stock Falcon. So my question is to anybody that has seen the kit and a real Australian Falcon, how accurate is the kit, is it worth the effort? Thank you.

#2 Dyno Davo

Dyno Davo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Full Name:David Loye

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hey Doug, it will take some work to convert this. There are some diecast 1/24 XB Falcon Coupes that are very close to standard, it might be best to try to clean up one of those first.

http://www.ebay.com....a043db02&_uhb=1

Have a look as see if that might work. 

#3 truges

truges

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Rugendyke

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

That diecast XB on ebay isn't very accurate though - a little bit too Dub-City in its proportions. Particularly the grill is quite toy like.

The proportions of the Aoshima kit are quite good but I've heard the scale is more like 1:23. As Dyno Davo said - it will take some work to make stock - the main things being removing the wheel arch flares, removing the roof spoiler, and removing the concord nose and creating a stock grill.

#4 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

I have one of the Road Warrior kits and plan to convert it into the first movie car that is tough enough in itself but cant imagine what making it factory stock would take to do...but good luck with it...would be cool to see love the Aussie cars/trucks.

#5 checkmate

checkmate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Burns

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Search for a Cavalier GT kit, it'd be your best option. They haven't made them for awhile but they pop up on ebay still.

XB-Label-to-Print-735x375_zps65d63c86.jp

#6 B.DougBeck

B.DougBeck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for all the input. I will look at all the options. I have written Revell, and other kit manufactures on this subject but as of now no takers. I have wanted one since my dad took me to see Mad Max ..... Thanks again. 

#7 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

IMHO the XB Falcons are the best looking muscle car to come out of FoMoCo ever. It's like Ms. Torino and Mr. Mustang met at a seedy little motel and nine months later - this. 

I'd love to have a real kit of one, and it saddens me I'm on the wrong continent to ever see one in the flesh. If you'r going to start a petition let me know.

Edited by Jantrix, 22 May 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#8 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hey Rob there used to be a gentleman down your way with a few falcons and a landau also . well somewhere in Fla at least . And i really like the analogy for the design i have to agree that it is the best looking Ford ever . And i bleed chevy engine orange.

And tring to import one now is really expensive. At first ther was a lot of them available reasonable . now 20k gets a rebuildable car then finding sheetmetal . they rusted as fast as ours do up here in the east.

One day i will find a 1:1

MIchael

#9 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

IMHO the XB Falcons are the best looking muscle car to come out of FoMoCo ever. It's like Ms. Torino and Mr. Mustang met at a seedy little motel and nine months later - this. 

I've had the same thought. Those Aussie Falcons are cool looking, though.

#10 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

In comparing the Aoshima kit with a pro modeler  Torino which the 2 share roofs with, it would apear that  the MM kit is close in length, but the width is off as far as it being 1/25. I'm sure that there are differences between the 2 such as wheelbase ect in the real car. There are differences in the exterior panels as far as body lines go. One could convert a Torino into a Falcon with much work. It may be worth it to use the torino as a base and graft on the front clip, modify the doors and then graft the rear section which is much shorter than a torino from the wheelwell back. Side window belt line is also different between the 2. Also required would be the rear window which is different. That may be the only way to get an accurate Falcon XB without paying rediculous prices for a rare resin kit that you may not be able to win. Then someone would have to cast it so the rest of us peons can have one haha. I've often thought about this conversion my self but never got into it any deeper than the thinking stage.

#11 Dyno Davo

Dyno Davo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Full Name:David Loye

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Sorry guys, forgot to mention yesterday that the PartsBox site sell Aussie car kits, currently they do the XB GT 4 door which might go some way to providing an easy path for conversion using a Torino shell.

Address is: http://www.thepartsbox.com/

They are great people to deal with so feel safe placing an order.

In some sad news Ford Australia today announced they are closing local production in Australia in 2016 so no more home grown cars :( I can see the price of some of the desirable models going through the roof now.

#12 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

In some sad news Ford Australia today announced they are closing local production in Australia in 2016 so no more home grown cars :( I can see the price of some of the desirable models going through the roof now.

That is tragic. Did they leave any hints as to where the cars Ford will be selling in Australia will be made or are they abandoning you folks altogether?

#13 B.DougBeck

B.DougBeck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Gents,

Sounds like the beginning of a writing campaign to some model companies. I wrote Revell a few years ago, their response was zero interest. Heck if Revell did a bone stock coupe, the reissue could be a Mofat Bathurst car, or The Beast. Thanks.

Doug