Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cool New Stuff from Aoshima - Tamiya Reissue...

Perusing Hobby Search today, I came across some new stuff from Aoshima and a long awaited reissue from Tamiya:

2012 Sambar Truck and Van

10223386b2_zps38315a61.jpg

10223391b_zpsc0ff0c99.jpg

Looks like some type of engine detail:

10223391b2_zpsc86a1545.jpg

430 Gloria Sedan (I don't know if this is totally new or a reissue, I haven't seen it before:

10223394b2_zpsbf18aee7.jpg

Modified reissue, totally cool:

10223466b2_zps448eaf4a.jpg

And this from Tamiya - been a while since this kit was reissued:

10227756b_zpsda1d2996.jpg

The Sambar and Gloria are definitely 3D printed, so I'd say the Gloria is all-new, too.

The Gloria and it's sister car the Cedric are both new tools - well it's one tool for the both of them as they differences are the grills, mirrors and a few other details. The Sambar is all new. The other major Aoshima releases are the Toyota 86/Scion & Subaru BRZ with engine kits (those are due out next month actually - the Sambars & Nissans are tentatively July). Along with the McLaren F-1 GTR Long Tail and Toyota Celica Rally Car.

If you want a Hi-Ace better get a pre-order in somewhere because it's a Spot Production run (read limited edition) so when it's gone, it's gone. The other two automotive announcements from Tamiya were "Full View" (clear body) versions of the Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren & Porsche Carerra GT.

The Sambar and Gloria are definitely 3D printed, so I'd say the Gloria is all-new, too.

Going through a few searches...there is the "newer" Gloria and Cedric with square headlights. I think it's crazy, but totally cool, Aoshima is making a kit of a four door, rather mundane car. The hobby must be going strong in Japan!

Going through a few searches...there is the "newer" Gloria and Cedric with square headlights. I think it's crazy, but totally cool, Aoshima is making a kit of a four door, rather mundane car. The hobby must be going strong in Japan!

Oh I have no doubt there are a pile of classic and modern VIP style cars planned for that joint new tool. The existing generation of Cedric/Gloria tooling is based off an old motorized chassis, so a brand new kit with a real chassis, up to date body and interior were overdue considering the variety of similar style classic 4 door cars that have passed in and out of the catalogs at Aoshima & Fujimi.

Heck one of the modified re-issues for next month is a Toyota Crown Majestica that is a very minor tweak to the existing tool they already had that seems to be bumpers, rims and a few other very minor details to make a "late version" of that car's styling. It'd be like Revell offering the '69 Camaro as not only several option/builder packages like they do now, but then making random tweaks to make it a '67 and '68, and then offering them in a base model with base engines.

Dragon USA has the "GameBox" truck listed for Under $25.oo!!!!

That surprised me as it is also listed as 1/24!!!!

They also showed a Food vendor version!

Japan has a new PM who's "devalued" the Yen as part of an attempt to spur their economy. That beneficial Dollar to Yen ratio has knocked a good $10-15 off prices over the past few months. It's something like the 2nd or 3rd best (well for us) exchange rate in the past decade.

Japan has a new PM who's "devalued" the Yen as part of an attempt to spur their economy. That beneficial Dollar to Yen ratio has knocked a good $10-15 off prices over the past few months. It's something like the 2nd or 3rd best (well for us) exchange rate in the past decade.

Yes, and it's a good time to visit Hobby Link Japan for this reason. ;)