W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Danno!

Here are the decals on place. They were really easy to install, only a little Micro Sol was needed, the decals were really thin and very nice, even if I was bit afraid of installing them (As I always am when trying to install bigger decal than those little badges or cauges :lol: ).

DSCN3584.jpg
DSCN3585.jpg
DSCN3586.jpg
DSCN3589.jpg
DSCN3590.jpg
DSCN3591.jpg

This is now the current stage where I am at. Now I should have the body clear coated in a couple of days, since those decals has been drying over a month now. :rolleyes:

#22 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Moving along nicely, looks great. I really enjoy seeing '50s stock car builds like this :)

#23 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Very nice!

I just won this kit on the auction site, should be here next week.

Scale Auto just did a nice article on a resin '56 body model using the chassis from this kit.

I also grabbed the last set of '56 300B Buck Baker Mercury decal sets that Mike's Decals had, as I see Moebius is releasing the 1956 300B model in a few weeks. Will be sweet to have two Chrysler 300 stock car models in Mercury livery.

#24 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Bill! Me too, these '50s Stock Cars, as well as '60s and why not Early '70s Stock Cars too, are really nice. Much nicer than those new ones, even if there is nothing wrong with them either.

Thanks Chris! Yep I saw that Scale Auto article, and it was great. I might build another Stock Car also from the '56 kit, so then I'd have '55 and '56 Stock Cars on my shelf also. But first I need to get this one done. :D

#25 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Looking good, Niko!

#26 drodg

drodg

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Full Name:David Rodgers

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Looks great. I built last year the street car and I was so impressed with how easily it went together.  I think the back glass was the only part that I had quite a bit of frustration with. 

#27 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

Nice build of a classic.  I gotta get one of those kits.  But does anyone else wonder why "Mercury" outboards would choose to sponsor a Chrysler and not a Mercury :huh: ?

#28 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

Very nice work! I was allowed to help out on this project......an d the Flock's were a neighbor in Charlotte.....so I am happy to see such a neat and clean build!

#29 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Nice build of a classic.  I gotta get one of those kits.  But does anyone else wonder why "Mercury" outboards would choose to sponsor a Chrysler and not a Mercury :huh: ?

The outboard company and the car company share nothing aside from the name of a Roman God.

Kiekhafer(sp) was rich, and could afford to buy the overwhemingly powerful Chryslers for his race team, so he did.

#30 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I know the manufacturers were not "related", so to speak.  I just find it a bit odd, but the reasoning does make sense.  Honestly, I don't even know if Mercurys were on the tracks in those days.

#31 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hi Niko,

very clean progress. looks perfect in my view. I'm just working on the same and agree to your points about the kit. fits great, the Decals (i also like to use such great ones) are very easy to work with.

go on buddy, looks real good so far!

#32 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I need to check the Rear Window fit before clear coat, thanks for that tip, David.

And Dave, your help is always appreciated. I'm not an expert with these Stock Cars, even if they are really interesting. Great to have those experts that are willing to help on here too.

Dominik - The decals sure are excellent, as is the whole kit. But we need pictures from your build also, I'm sure it's going to be spectacular B) !

Now I'm waiting for the correct weather for Clear Coating. I will post more pictures when I get a chance to spray some clear over it.

#33 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Dominik - The decals sure are excellent, as is the whole kit. But we need pictures from your build also, I'm sure it's going to be spectacular B) !

Niko,

my goal is NOT as shiny as yours! To this point not the end of the weathering...

CIMG130803_011.jpg

...some more will come up here: "About weathering Decals"

I'm not sure, to make an extra progress-thread , because it is on the finish line (think so). That means, i must recall all steps to this point of the built. I will think about...

#34 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

Oh Yeah I saw that topic about Weathering Decals. I really like how the car looks, that weathering has turned out excellent! I can't wait to see that finished. It's nice to see also something different being built from these kits.

#35 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Niko.

I will make a thread about my build - from the beginning. you won ;)

#36 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

That's great! Your WIP looks excellent. B)

Today the weather was fine, and when I woke up I knew that this day is perfect for clear coating. So I took my Pro Stock Cuda build and this Chrysler out and sprayed clear coat on both. Both turned out very nice, but I need to hope that there will be no surprises when the clear is dry. But at least now looks like I might survive with only a little polishing with this one. :D

DSCN6494.jpg
DSCN6492.jpg
DSCN6486.jpg
DSCN6482.jpg

#37 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hmmm...excellent Niko. It looks very goood with clearcoat. I think,no surprise is waiting, when the paint is dry.

#38 shafer

shafer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:clyde w shafer,II

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

i have bben keeping an eye on this build , man it looks great, love to see you build one with #42 on the door

#39 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanx Guys.

This is Finished. I had no time to post pics of the final assembly, and I only remembered/Had time to take pics of polished body with the glasses installed. They fit very nicely, just Snap them on place and no glue is necessary. Though the rear window was harder to get right, but a little Super Glue made it fit good.

DSCN6630.jpg
DSCN6631.jpg
DSCN6634.jpg
DSCN6635.jpg

#40 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

No problems were found in Final Assembly. Only the front bumber holes needed a bit drilling, but otherwise everything went very well together. I scratchbuilt those Headlight Covers with the information from Dave Van, to who I'd like to say Special Thanks for the help that he has given on this build. Thanks!

On to the pictures...

DSCN7008.jpg
DSCN7010.jpg
DSCN7011.jpg
DSCN7012.jpg
DSCN7013.jpg
DSCN7015.jpg
DSCN7019.jpg
DSCN7020.jpg
DSCN7021.jpg
DSCN7023.jpg