Looking great so far!!
1971 Sunoco Ferrari 512M
Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:50 AM
Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:31 AM
The tires are resin. Mine were a little off in the tread area, not bad enough to require much if any work, but then a couple minutes on the lathe made them true, so why not…? Even the backs are cleanly cast only needing a few minutes of sanding to prep for paint. I didn’t have to do anything to the outer sidewalls.
The rims are two pieces each. A white metal outer rim:
And a resin center. The bottom two have been cleaned up, the top two are how they come from the box. The flash is minor and clean up only takes a few minutes.
And after a little sanding and polishing the outer rims look like this…
Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:49 PM
I painted the tires semi-gloss black and hit the tread area with some dirtied (brownish) black. The tire decals weren’t the right arc shape, they looked as though they were for smaller diameter tires, but a little coaxing with some decal solvent and I was able to correct that and stretch out the wrinkles too. After the Goodyear decals were applied I shot them with clear flat.
Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:16 AM
The wheels & tires are done… I used Tamiya Chrome Yellow to make the centers a hair richer than the Bright Yellow I’ll be using on the body. Instructions call out for the raised ribs to be painted chrome silver. Can’t make that detail out in the few photos I have, but I went ahead and followed the directions like I have for the rest of the build…
Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:30 AM
The dash is coming along. The gauges are printed on what appears to be an acetate type photographic film. I painted white on the back side of the film to bring the detail out. They fit to a PE piece that sandwiches them to the resin dash. The PE part was painted black. The bezels are raised so I just knocked the black paint off them to make them look chrome.
The body is in its final primer (good old stock Floquil), masked and ready for some Sunoco Blue.
Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:18 PM
The brakes are cast with the calipers attached to the rotors. Some bright silver and metallic gray was used, barely needed as they are mostly hidden behind the wheels.
I sprayed the body too. I used Testors 1111 blue enamel tweaked with a little 1143 for a richer deeper shade.
Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:36 AM
The seat belt hardware is provided in the kit, I used tape for the belts. A little work with washes and dry brushing was done to the seat to give it a used look and bring out some of the cast in detail. The belts were also made to look like they had seen some use…
Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:40 AM
Mark... I just ran across this build and man you are sure doing a great job on it. it looks very nice. Great work man!!
Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:46 PM
Thanks guys. These Fisher kits in general are an interesting mix of somewhat simplified assemblies (for ease of building) and eye catching details. The stuff that is not really seen when finished is not heavily detailed, and the little stuff that tips it into a really neat model are well done.
The headlights are cast white metal with vac-u-formed lenses. I polished the metal and punched the lenses out of the sheet with a brass tube/punch. A nice detail is the PE mounting rings that attach to the rear of the headlights.
Very little fiddling was needed to get the chassis and wheels under the body. Just a dry fitting here…
Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:09 AM
That is looking great! It's definitely more detailed than the Coda Lunga kit was, especially the interior and wheels.
Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:58 AM
A little BMF for the raw metal areas… Another nice feature of the kit is the sculpting of the ripples in the fuel tank. Now it is time to decal the body.
Edited by Scale-Master, 05 August 2013 - 06:00 AM.