Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Sunoco Ferrari 512M

Scale-Master

Thanks guys!

The wheels & tires are done… I used Tamiya Chrome Yellow to make the centers a hair richer than the Bright Yellow I’ll be using on the body. Instructions call out for the raised ribs to be painted chrome silver. Can’t make that detail out in the few photos I have, but I went ahead and followed the directions like I have for the rest of the build…

DSC02399_zps812e45fb.jpg

Thanks guys.

The dash is coming along. The gauges are printed on what appears to be an acetate type photographic film. I painted white on the back side of the film to bring the detail out. They fit to a PE piece that sandwiches them to the resin dash. The PE part was painted black. The bezels are raised so I just knocked the black paint off them to make them look chrome.

DSC02401_zpsb3f98df8.jpg

The body is in its final primer (good old stock Floquil), masked and ready for some Sunoco Blue.

DSC02400_zps2797f765.jpg

The brakes are cast with the calipers attached to the rotors. Some bright silver and metallic gray was used, barely needed as they are mostly hidden behind the wheels.

DSC02403_zps39a834bc.jpg

I sprayed the body too. I used Testors 1111 blue enamel tweaked with a little 1143 for a richer deeper shade.

DSC02406_zps79826ef2.jpg

DSC02407_zpsdf040822.jpg

The seat belt hardware is provided in the kit, I used tape for the belts. A little work with washes and dry brushing was done to the seat to give it a used look and bring out some of the cast in detail. The belts were also made to look like they had seen some use…

DSC02413_zps4f151e33.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. These Fisher kits in general are an interesting mix of somewhat simplified assemblies (for ease of building) and eye catching details. The stuff that is not really seen when finished is not heavily detailed, and the little stuff that tips it into a really neat model are well done.

The headlights are cast white metal with vac-u-formed lenses. I polished the metal and punched the lenses out of the sheet with a brass tube/punch. A nice detail is the PE mounting rings that attach to the rear of the headlights.

DSC02428_zpsd799f701.jpg

Very little fiddling was needed to get the chassis and wheels under the body. Just a dry fitting here…

DSC02430_zpsf385dde2.jpg

So it's going to be the Sebring version. Coming along Very Well Mark. Hey, I don't know if you ever got to read the Motor Racing Models issue that did the 512M build but the builder had a problem with the BMF "blistering" on the Body after a couple of days.

Yeah, had to do the flames and long chord wing, it is just a better looking car to me.

I have seen BMF do that over raw resin, even after what seemed to be adequate prep work. That is why I laid a thin coat of the blue down as a base for the BMF to really stick to.

Sebring Car - Yeah, had to do the flames and long chord wing, it is just a better looking car to me.

I have seen BMF do that over raw resin, even after what seemed to be adequate prep work. That is why I laid a thin coat of the blue down as a base for the BMF to really stick to.

I'm guessing the BMF blistering has something to do with out gassing........ Well once I get around to my 512M I'm headed to the Watkins Glen version. Heck it's a Coupe that ran in the CanAm. Although there were more than many think, it's one of those that folks would ID.