#1 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

What is the preferred way of getting our fix. I live in a major metro area of 2 million plus people. But even still, buying models, I have to travel quite far to the "local" hobby store. Once there, it is rare to fine the old "cool" kit. I fine that e-bay lately has become my preferred method for getting what I want. Comments ????????

#2 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

I do a little of both.  It just depends on the subject I'm after, pricing and how lazy I am at that particular time.  There's other options even than the ones you listed.  Check out jimnohio.com and Tower Hobbies. 

#3 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

eBay, with it's worldwide reach, will always have more variety than any local store could possibly have. I have yet to purchase from eBay, I guess I am just different in that respect. I haven't seen anything on there that I had to have that would cause me to open an account and become a regular.

I find those older kits at hobby shows and swap meets in the area where I live. There are several within a 2 hour drive throughout the year and what I like best about them is that I can physically see what I am getting before plunking down my cash.

I have also found that trading with members here has allowed me to get rid of models for those that I missed out on in years past. Many members here are great traders and it is a way to add to your collection without spending big bucks on the bay!

As I thin out my collection, I am trying to concentrate on those models I am likely to build and have some real interest for me.

Edited by mikemodeler, 09 June 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#4 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

For new kits I go to a hobby shop. For older kits I search ebay and try to find what I'm looking for. The shipping costs have been getting out of hand of late however.

#5 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

For new kits I go to a hobby shop. For older kits I search ebay and try to find what I'm looking for. The shipping costs have been getting out of hand of late however.

I noticed that too as of late. I used to be  great deal using e-bay. Now after shipping it can be twice as much 

#6 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

I use ebay, LHS, kit shows and model shows. Plus, it also helps being in a model car club. Some members usually bring in kits to sell or trade and you can always announce a request at the meeting and get some pretty cool deals going. 

My LHS usually is used for the new stuff or supplies, the kit shows are a great place to buy in bulk and find the cool vintage stuff at a great price without shipping. 

#7 peter31a

peter31a

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Full Name:Peter McDonald

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Chris, with the current shipping costs I find it cheaper to drive from here to Toronto to purchase there than to go e-Bay route Shipping has pretty much killed any e-Baying I do unless it's a rare kit or one oop I really want.

#8 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

I use ebay, LHS, kit shows and model shows. Plus, it also helps being in a model car club. Some members usually bring in kits to sell or trade and you can always announce a request at the meeting and get some pretty cool deals going. 

My LHS usually is used for the new stuff or supplies, the kit shows are a great place to buy in bulk and find the cool vintage stuff at a great price without shipping. 

what is "LHS" please forgive me  

#9 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

LHS=Local Hobby Shop.  I've bought 96% of my kits from eBay.  My supplies come from one of the chain hobby stores, which is about a 40 minute drive.

#10 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Mine is ebay or i find people in the area selling off the collection. My local hobby store thinks his kits or made of gold some of them or way over priced and he hardly ever has any newer kits as neither does my Walmart so i use them for paint and supplies

#11 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ebay is always my go to for getting kits. I sometimes will buy new stuff from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon when I'm in the area. But, you can't beat the convenience of ebay! The only things I buy from a LHS are paints and supplies. 

#12 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,030 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

model roundup sels older kits and out of production kits. they ship 2 for what ebay shipping costs are. Ebay is my last resort after the last shipping hike...

#13 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

If i can get it from my lhs for near the ebay price, the lhs gets the cash. If the local wants 60 bucks for a kit i can get for 30, ebay gets the cash and i spend the money saved in the lhs
Either way, the local wins

#14 turn1wonder

turn1wonder

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Eardley

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Chris, have you checked out Panther Hobbies in the Dundas/427 area?

Bob

#15 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

Panther is the LHS that I use, but its an 1 and a half round trip. There prices are very reasonable have has great inventory. Thanks Bob, Any word on what happened at the other hobby store that recently closed.

#16 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

I shop local first, Then if I am searching for an old release I search the internet.

There are  the ebay stores with good prices all around & I do shop with them for Detail & Resin items.

Like everyone else Ebay  shipping has become expensive. Some auctions charging at nearly the price of a kit if not more. Plain & simple, Those sellers I do NOT trade with.   Just a way to make extra profits on the sale IMO . 

Edited by Gramps2u, 10 June 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#17 Danger

Danger

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Grainger

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

Chris,

Where in the Toronto area are you? There are model stores in the West end, Central and East end. If Panther is that far away, I am guessing you are in the East end. Check out Dailey Hobbies in Whitby, Wheels & Wings on the Danforth.

Danger

#18 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

Chris,

Where in the Toronto area are you? There are model stores in the West end, Central and East end. If Panther is that far away, I am guessing you are in the East end. Check out Dailey Hobbies in Whitby, Wheels & Wings on the Danforth.

Danger

Thanks for the tips, I am central, but closer to east end. Next Day off, I might take a road trip!!! 

#19 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Some auctions charging at nearly the price of a kit if not more. Plain & simple, Those sellers I do NOT trade with.   Just a way to make extra profits on the sale IMO . 

I know some sellers over inflate postage costs.

but just as an example. I just ck'd costs to ship a single model kit to Canada from Northern Ky , price was just under $17

Same box to Florida is $8

Same box to California is $10

#20 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Chris, have you checked out Panther Hobbies in the Dundas/427 area?

Bob

And just my luck, Drove all the way to Panther (My LHS) and it was closed. E-bay never closes