Need help figuring out what im talking about.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello
Im trying to get pics or information on what a part on a drag/street car is called.

I dont have pics because i dont know what it is called so i will describe it.
When i was a kid, early 80's, my dad and uncles all had these things stuck out the back of the cars (bottom) that resemble two reese hitches about a foot or two apart. I guess they were around 1 1/2 to 2 inch square tubing. I want to think that the device was for either traction or to keep the car from popping a wheelie
Im looking to add it to my 1/12 350gt-500gt mustang build.

#2 Madd Trucker

Madd Trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Ferguson

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

they  was   or  are  called wheelie  bars

#3 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is them.
99D368A5-1351-42C3-A59D-26C4CE99C316-974
Traction bars is what the ebay posting said

Now. Where do they hook to. Can anybody please explain how they work. I am now and was then baffled.

#4 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Traction bars... they snub the front eye of the leaf springs on launch to maintain pinion angle and mitigate axle wrap and wheel hop. Those U bolts cinch down around the axle tubes. You can pre load or set snubber height to get a different traction characteristic.

Edit... just noticed no U bolts on the ones pictured. The u bolts would go around the axle tube and through the base plates and fasten up underneath the base plates

Edited by Blown03SVT, 10 June 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#5 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

The metal plate with the four holes in it would be bolted to the u-bolts that attach the axle to the springs. The other smaller u bolt that is up by the rubber snubber would bolt around the front part of the spring itself. When a car launches off the line without these you'll get a lot of wheel spin or wheel hop. With these the car will get better traction because it eliminates the twist in the front part of the spring, thus putting the traction where it needs to be, the tires!!

This link will give more of an explanation.....

http://www.competiti...es/chassis2.asp

#6 gonzo64nova

gonzo64nova

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Gonzo

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

What you have there Gary are traction bars for a leaf spring equipped vehicle . Commonly called slapper bars.  They are bolted onto the bottom of the leaf spring and it replaces the bottom mounting plate of the stock leaf setup. These prevented spring wind-up on acceleration of the springs , in other words they prevented the spring from distorting and letting the rear end hop off the ground. There is a term called wheel-hop that is used to describe this action of the spring. The rubber snubber  in the front contacts the spring eye and limits the up-ward movement of the leaf spring. The "u" on the front of the traction bar is inserted over the spring and is connected to the traction bar to prevent the front of the  traction bar from hitting the ground on hard deceleration. This version was originally used in the 60s and are still used today, but these are quickly being replaced by Caltrac bars.   Hope this clears things up. -Bill

#7 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

tractionbar01.jpg

#8 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks every body.
The drawing helped me totally understand. I guess since my gt350 transplant is using the chasis from the gt500, using these would be inaccurate and a total waste.