#41 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

AMT added the engine, opened the hood, and revised the chassis at some point in the 1970s. Yes, the original annual, and the 1961 Styline issue, were both curbsides.

What I can't recall about the later issues is if they had much in the way of an engine compartment...inner fenders, radiator, firewall, etc?   I have one of '90s issue '61 Rancheros but never built it..don't recall what's under the hood besides a Chevy engine, which makes no sense in a Ford.

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 December 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#42 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

It's got a promo style underhood area, with rounded inner wheel liners molded to the chassis- completely incorrect for the Falcon and Ranchero. You'd need to find a suitable first-gen Mustang donor kit and raid the engine compartment from that if you wanted it to be really accurate under the hood.

#43 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

It's got a promo style underhood area, with rounded inner wheel liners molded to the chassis- completely incorrect for the Falcon and Ranchero. You'd need to find a suitable first-gen Mustang donor kit and raid the engine compartment from that if you wanted it to be really accurate under the hood.

The AMT Mustangs have an incorrect engine compartment also, IIRC w/ the rounded wheel liners.   Probably best to glue the hood shut and do it annual style..

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 December 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#44 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

The AMT '67 Shelby Mustang still has probably the best chassis and underhood area for this car (as well as a great 289), but keep in mind that V8s didn't appear in the Falcon and Ranchero until late '63, so if you want to build an accurate 1960 Ranchero you'll need to source a inline six.

#45 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

The AMT Mustangs have an incorrect engine compartment also, IIRC w/ the rounded wheel liners.   Probably best to glue the hood shut and do it annual style..

The '66 coupe and '68 Shelby kits do, but...

The AMT '67 Shelby Mustang still has probably the best chassis and underhood area for this car (as well as a great 289), but keep in mind that V8s didn't appear in the Falcon and Ranchero until late '63, so if you want to build an accurate 1960 Ranchero you'll need to source a inline six.

Same goes for the '67 GT, though Steve's correct that you'd still need a proper straight six. Gluing the hood shut would work well too, though. B)

Bottom line is the '67 Stang kits would be great chassis/underhood donors for this kit... but the '66 and '68 kits are about equal with what's already in the Ranchero kit.

#46 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have three of these already; one will get the Jimmy Flintstone delivery body and be curbside, another will get the Shelby treatment under the hood plus I'll cut the doors and tailgate from the spare body, and the third I built stock back in the '70s from the "Baja" series reissue. Then I have a '61 Falcon coupe that I started to build as a contemporary street machine; it's about 75% done. Only thing is it's been sitting that way so long that it's now a nostalgic late '70s street machine... :huh:

One bit of trivia about that kit: that '61 grille is different from the one in the '61 coupe kit. If you look at the original '61 issue part, the pattern is engraved more deeply than it is on the reissue - plus if you look very closely around the headlights on the reissue version, you can see a remnant of the '60 grille pattern (which must be why they now had to tool a new '60 grille).

#47 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Another chassis and underhood clip that might work under the Ranchero would be the AMT '66 Fairlane. The underhood clip is already separate pieces from the body. The wheelbase may be a better match than the Mustang would be. I'm going to have to check into that. I've got a couple or three Fairlanes and an older issue Ranchero.

#48 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Another chassis and underhood clip that might work under the Ranchero would be the AMT '66 Fairlane. The underhood clip is already separate pieces from the body. The wheelbase may be a better match than the Mustang would be. I'm going to have to check into that. I've got a couple or three Fairlanes and an older issue Ranchero.

The Mustang wheelbase is a better match, 108.x vs 109.x.  The '66 Fairlane 2dr wheelbase is like 116 I think....

#49 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

I couldn't wait. So, I grabbed the Ranchero, the '66 Fairlane and the '67 Mustang. For me, the Fairlane chassis is the winner hands down. The only modification necessary is taking six scale inches out of the length to get the wheelbase right. Anyone familiar with the Fairlane chassis knows that it's a simple modification. The width is right and the length behind the rear wheels is right. 

The Mustang was wrong everywhere. Wheelbase is off  2-3 mms. Too narrow by six mms. Too short behind the rear wheels by 12mms. I'll take sectioning 6mms out of the Fairlane chassis over that mess any day.

#50 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

That's interesting to know. Could we see some photos of the result?

#51 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

One bit of trivia about that kit: that '61 grille is different from the one in the '61 coupe kit. If you look at the original '61 issue part, the pattern is engraved more deeply than it is on the reissue - plus if you look very closely around the headlights on the reissue version, you can see a remnant of the '60 grille pattern (which must be why they now had to tool a new '60 grille).

The '61 Ranchero kit never shared any parts with the Falcon, except for tires.  Bumpers and some other parts interchange, but are not the same.

#52 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Except for the Convertible & Hardtop versions of their Annuals,

AMT's Kits most likely did not share tooling between different body style cars of the same vintage/year

untill the 64 El Camino & Mailbu Wagon kits.

We can see that in the re-issues of the 65's which is what became of the 64's!!

Engine, Chassis and Chrome tree are shared. Body, & Interior are different between the 2 kits.

How many parts are shared between the Original AMT 60 Impala Hardtop/Convertible and the

El Camino or Wagon??

Remember, the Wagon was Only a Promo in 60 too!

It came out as a Kit in 62-63 in the Junior Trophy Series

Also, Did the 63 Nova/Chevy2 Wagon share any parts with the Hardtop/Convertible??

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 09 December 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#53 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

..don't recall what's under the hood besides a Chevy engine, which makes no sense in a Ford.

Never been to a street rod run have you?

Edited by Craig Irwin, 09 December 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#54 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

I couldn't wait. So, I grabbed the Ranchero, the '66 Fairlane and the '67 Mustang. For me, the Fairlane chassis is the winner hands down. The only modification necessary is taking six scale inches out of the length to get the wheelbase right. Anyone familiar with the Fairlane chassis knows that it's a simple modification. The width is right and the length behind the rear wheels is right. 

The Mustang was wrong everywhere. Wheelbase is off  2-3 mms. Too narrow by six mms. Too short behind the rear wheels by 12mms. I'll take sectioning 6mms out of the Fairlane chassis over that mess any day.

Interesting to know - I'll have to pull some boxes off the shelf and check that out.

Keep in mind that in the "real" world, the Mustang components are a much closer match to the Falcon and Ranchero. While all are unibody cars with similar suspension design, the Mustang was directly based on the Falcon, while the Fairlane is more of a mid-sized car. Although when the Falcon got the V8, some parts came from the Fairlane line, so one could argue for some cross-pollination.

So it all just depends on how crazy you want to drive yourself for the sake of scale accuracy.

#55 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Except for the Convertible & Hardtop versions of their Annuals,

AMT's Kits most likely did not share tooling between different body style cars of the same vintage/year

untill the 64 El Camino & Mailbu Wagon kits.

We can see that in the re-issues of the 65's which is what became of the 64's!!

Engine, Chassis and Chrome tree are shared. Body, & Interior are different between the 2 kits.

How many parts are shared between the Original AMT 60 Impala Hardtop/Convertible and the

El Camino or Wagon??

Remember, the Wagon was Only a Promo in 60 too!

It came out as a Kit in 62-63 in the Junior Trophy Series

Also, Did the 63 Nova/Chevy2 Wagon share any parts with the Hardtop/Convertible??

The '65 Chevelle wagon and El Camino don't share any parts (except for a small tree with parts for a supercharger setup, that floats between the two kits).  Everything is similar, but again, not the same.  Same goes for the '64 kits that they are based on.  In fact, the '64 bumpers for the two kits have the "1964" in the license plate areas in different fonts.  And the chassis aren't exactly the same: the wagon piece has the little spare tire well at the back.

The Nova wagon parts are different from those in the hardtop and convertible kits (the latter two did share a lot of parts).  The front bumper/grille units are way different: if you put a hardtop/convertible hood on a wagon, there will be a noticeable gap between the hood and the upper grille trim (which is attached to the hood on the 1:1 car).  The parts do interchange, but you have to use the both the hood and bumper/grille unit from the wagon, or hardtop/convertible.

The '60 Chevy hardtop/convertible, wagon, and El Camino were all different (though again parts did interchange).  The Junior Craftsman wagon used the rear bumper from the hardtop/convertible, reworked to move the license plate below the bumper.  Probably just a case of "just patch it together; it'll be good enough".       

#56 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Never been to a street rod run have you?

Not into that stuff... 

#57 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Not familiar w/ the original, I assume it may have been a curbside like the '61 Falcon annual was? 

The original '61 had two issues. There was the annual and in 1962 they did the customizing version.  Yes, it was curbside with the hood being molded as part of the body.  The other differences between the originals and the later issues, aside from the open hood and the Chevy engine...  the chassis on the original is curbside with a single exhaust on it. The later issue has a cut out for the Chevy engine and dual exhausts molded in.

The original has screw posts and the front and rear bumpers go on those posts. The later versions don't.  The original also has two part tail lights with a chrome surround and a red clear lens. The later issues have a one part chrome tail light.

#58 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Here's some quick and dirty photos of the Fairlane and Mustang chassis' under the Ranchero. There isn't going to be a truly "correct" chassis out there for a Ranchero.

First are the two photos with the Fairlane chassis. I put a piece of 6mm tape across it where I plan on making my cuts. I'll do some exact measurements to make sure of the amount that needs to be taken out before making the second cut. I think this will make a cool project in the future.

009_zps2229d8db.jpg

013_zpsc8f83ef9.jpg

Here's the Mustang chassis. I don't think anything else needs to be said this mess.

022_zps963e0b96.jpg

#59 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for the visual Roger.  I would have assumed that the Mustang chassis was the way to go.  How about the Trumpeter Ranchero chassis?  I haven't seen one so I don't know how nice it is, but if created properly, it would be the right chassis.  The wagon / Ranchero may have had a different gas tank etc from the cars.

#60 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

That does look very close, Roger! Definitely close enough to pass for a Falcon unibody to most eyes, and certainly better than the Trumpeter.

Yes, the Ranchero has a different gas tank than the Falcon - hung by straps under the bed vs. dropped in through the trunk, but it looks pretty much the same in plastic.