MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Re: decal sheet comment.... Look here:

11842465653_71ec1a8112_z.jpg

As far as I know, the 1975 Dart Sport was equipped with a 360 V8 rather than a 340. How much effort would it have taken to provide the correct stripe?

Okay , now I see what you mean . 1974 was the first year for the 360 in High-Perf vocation ; 1973 was the 340's last year .

Either way , and as Mark pointed out , those style of stripes are not of 1974-1976 vintage anyhow .

What I do recognise that's (potentially) good is the Calif license plates ! The "L" = 1974/ 1975 issue plates . Hopefully they're to-scale .

#42 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

I dunno- those plates/tags seem out of proportion- too long, side-to-side and too narrow, top-to-bottom.

#43 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

The kit I received was real heavy with flash.  Should have it "under glass" in a couple of days.

#44 MG Brown

MG Brown

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:MG Brown

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

The stripes aren't correct for a stock Dart anyway, so what's the difference?

Wow this kinda sounds like something Hillary Clinton would say.

The stripes were commonly seen on Darts as a custom add-on at least when I was growing up- I can't imagine someone putting "340" logos on a "360" car though. In any event it's a waste of decal space that could have been used for something the kit needs- like instrument or interior decals for example.

#45 Randytheroadrunner

Randytheroadrunner

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Earle

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

I suppose you could just cut off the 340, and put the stripes on without it.

#46 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

We always used to replace emblems.  It was very easy for Chevy models.  Replace the flags and V with a 6.  Or 327 with 283.

#47 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

While I love dem Mopars, I won't be getting this kit as I'm tryin' to "cut back" on my model kit buyin' and the "muscle car era" was pretty much kaput after '71 - '72.

#48 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I used the MPC Dart kit to build a Dodge Dart Hang Ten about three years ago.  I used Keith Mark's decals.  It came out pretty well

I was just think about this. I remember the Dart Hang Tens new on the show floor back in the day. I really like the looks of them. I believe came only with the 225 six or 318 V8. Never with the 360. I do know they were offered both in '74 and '75.

So Keith Marks makes Dart Hang Ten decals? Does he include decals for the interior striping too? Whether he does or not I may have order a set. I had little interest in this kit until I read your posting. I mainly like the early Dusters and Demons better. And have an original '75 Dart Sport promo. But knowing I can build a Hang Ten version puts a new light on this kit!

Now do I keep the 360 from the kit? Even though this is incorrect. Or do I find a slant six for under the hood? I wonder what it would take to put in the slant six from Lindberg's '64 Dodge kit in? And how it would look in there? Has anybody tried this? And how did it turn out?

I'm thinking I may have to do this.

Uncle Scott

#49 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

After a little more research, I was wrong about the Hang Ten not being available on the Dart 360 Sport. At least in 1974 you could get any Dart Sport model, 225 slant six, 318 V8, or 360 V8 with the Hang Ten package. I'm not so sure for '75. The '75 Dart brochure talks about both the Hang Ten and the 360 on the same page, but doesn't make clear if the two can be combined. One can assume it was this was still true for '75. But at this time I'm not 100% sure.

Uncle Scott

#50 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

The "E58" 360 was available with the Hang 10 model . The only limiting factor was that all Hang 10's were console-shift automatics , regardless of engine ; however , I wouldn't be surprised to find that Chrysler built one or two special order 4 speed models (which would naturally execute the console , as no console / manual trans A-bodies were built after 1969 for U.S. or

Canada consumption).

For 1975 there was a similar interior option for the Duster . Actually , it may be the exact interior trim / colour combo as the Hang 10 ... "Custom" , was its name , IIRC .

#51 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Comparing this reissue's chassis against the original 1972 Duster Annual chassis ; when were the moulded-in Torsion Bars "deleted" , and why ?

I had an original 1976 Dart Sport Annual some years ago ; however , I can't recall if the T-Bars were still in-place by that "last hurrah" of the A-bodies ...

Conversely , the 1983 Modified-Reissue (moulded-in-red) "Dodge Duster" street machine was reviewed in SAE in 1984 , and its reviewer mentioned (to closely-paraphrase) : "No Torsion Bars whatsoever [...] just air ! ..."

Maybe the coveted Pro Stock run of the Butch Leal Duster and its companion Sox & Martin kits deleted the T-Bars ?

#52 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

I was just think about this. I remember the Dart Hang Tens new on the show floor back in the day. I really like the looks of them. I believe came only with the 225 six or 318 V8. Never with the 360. I do know they were offered both in '74 and '75.

So Keith Marks makes Dart Hang Ten decals? Does he include decals for the interior striping too? Whether he does or not I may have order a set. I had little interest in this kit until I read your posting. I mainly like the early Dusters and Demons better. And have an original '75 Dart Sport promo. But knowing I can build a Hang Ten version puts a new light on this kit!

Now do I keep the 360 from the kit? Even though this is incorrect. Or do I find a slant six for under the hood? I wonder what it would take to put in the slant six from Lindberg's '64 Dodge kit in? And how it would look in there? Has anybody tried this? And how did it turn out?

I'm thinking I may have to do this.

Uncle Scott

Yes the interior striping is included scan0001-vi.jpg

#53 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Very cool! I'm going to do it. And since the Hang 10 was available with the 360, I'm going to stay with that engine.

Uncle Scott

#54 Mopeyguy

Mopeyguy

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

""For 1975 there was a similar interior option for the Duster . Actually , it may be the exact interior trim / colour combo as the Hang 10 ... Custom, was its name , IIRC .""

I had 3 of these back in the 80's and 90's. The Orange carpet, parts of dash and back tray were blindingly bright.

One was a 360, another 318 and I think my brother still has the 6cyl one ?

A very unique option with the fold down rear seat...

#55 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Ordered my Hang 10 decals from Keith Marks yesterday. Wasn't interested in this kit, until I saw the info on the Hang 10 decals. Thanks to Dave and the others. I'm now looking forward to building one of these. Even if we can not really surf anywhere here in Miinnesnowta. I've always liked the Hang 10 Dart.

Scott Aho

#56 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Yesterday, I got the kit itself to start my Hang 10 Dart. A couple of comments are needed.

First, the body and chassis has a bit of flash. Second, I was surprised to see that there were enough parts in the kit to build two complete figures. One driving. One standing. From reading the side of box, I though I could only build one or the other. Normally I could care less about these figures in model car kits. But, right away I like the looks of this guy. He looks correct for a guy who would be driving a new '75 Dart Sport. The clothes, the hair, the shoes all look right. I'm so impressed with this figure, I do plan on for sure using the seated figure in this build. I like that his lower torso and legs seated fit against the firewall perfectly. I have to use him.

What to do with the standing figure? From the waist up, he is exactly the same as the seated figure. Reminds me of the Wrigley's Double Mint gum commercials from the same time period. You know the ones with different Double Mint Twins? Most had cute twin girls. But, I believe there were one or two commercials with male twins in them? So I need build them exactly the same. The second one standing, basically looking in.

A pretty nice kit overall. Other than the figures, it's exactly what I expect from a MPC kit from this time period. I kind of wish it came with a correct time period set of female Double Mint twins. But, the guys are OK. Maybe I set the standing character fondly looking at the MPC Pacer. Rather than with his brother, looking at the Dodge.

Scott Aho

#57 oldscool

oldscool

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Full Name:Gerald Goff

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

You can always build them as the Hager twins from Hee Haw. :P

#58 BirdWatcher

BirdWatcher

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Full Name:Buzz Dominguez

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

I want those decals too! Hope Keith has more.

#59 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Make it a diorama with the one guy daydreaming about himself driving the Dart, with him standing there and the "other" him in the Dart mounted in a thought balloon! :lol:

#60 BirdWatcher

BirdWatcher

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Full Name:Buzz Dominguez

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Make it a diorama with the one guy daydreaming about himself driving the Dart, with him standing there and the "other" him in the Dart mounted in a thought balloon! :lol:

I like the way you think Chris!