#61 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

While I'm a huge Chevelle fan and I'll probably purchase the kit regardless.  I have the hard top version and it didn't come out looking to great [The RC2-era kits were thin] on the decals (got a 72 Chevelle and no stripes!).  I wish Revell [...] would get on the ball and start making models like this.

I , too , would LOVE  to see a new tooling of a 1970-1972 Chevelle !

The lack of Super Sport hood / trunk stripes on the 1972 Chevelle SS-454 kit was a source of irritation , without a doubt . Heck , I even utilised the LS-6 arrangement (an artifact of the 1970 version) on my build of the '72 ; I built that one for a friend . Black-onblack ; it was gorgeous !

Other than exterior cosmetic changes between the 1970-1971-1972 Chevelles (in addition to engine changes) , what other items were different ? Upholstery pattern(s) ? Perhaps an "All-Three-Years" option --repleat with period-correct hot rod upgrades-- would be in order !

#62 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Barrow

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

While I'm a huge Chevelle fan and I'll probably purchase the kit regardless.  I've never really been a big fan of AMT.  A lot of times the fit of the kits aren't great and they're missing pieces.  I have the hard top version and it didn't come out looking to great.  The tail light fit was a little off.  I really hate how AMT models rarely have headlight lenses, mirrors, and sometimes even skip on the decals (got a 72 Chevelle and no stripes!).  I wish Revell or Lindberg would get on the ball and start making models like this.  I hate having to make my own parts by scavaging from models that I junked.

It is what it is, a 45 year old annual model.  Most annuals of the era (regardless of the company they were from) had molded in headlights. 

#63 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

The Round2 re-issue has interior location posts on the inside of the Chevelle convertible body, where as the 1977 Countdown series has none. Without the posts, the interior is free to move forward a bit. Some have complained that the chassis is too far back to center the wheels with the wheel openings on the Round2 re-issue.

I might suggest shaving off the posts on the inside of the body and see if it helps.

Other than that, I see no differences between the 1977 issue and the 2013 issue.

#64 Hard_2_Handle_454

Hard_2_Handle_454

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:Eric David Lucas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

I , too , would LOVE  to see a new tooling of a 1970-1972 Chevelle !

The lack of Super Sport hood / trunk stripes on the 1972 Chevelle SS-454 kit was a source of irritation , without a doubt . Heck , I even utilised the LS-6 arrangement (an artifact of the 1970 version) on my build of the '72 ; I built that one for a friend . Black-onblack ; it was gorgeous !

Other than exterior cosmetic changes between the 1970-1971-1972 Chevelles (in addition to engine changes) , what other items were different ? Upholstery pattern(s) ? Perhaps an "All-Three-Years" option --repleat with period-correct hot rod upgrades-- would be in order !

I think I ended up using stripes from a 70 model kit, but the front end still looks nothing like a 72.  It made me a little angry because A I own a 72 and it looked nothing like my car.  Plus if you have the stripes shown on the car, it would be nice to see them in the box.  I realize they build models the old school way, but it's like a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot  buying their models.  Some have headlight lenses, some don't.  Some have decals, some don't.  Some include rear view mirrors, and some don't.  Plus the fits of the models are normally off.  I'll probably still get the model and try to make my own parts as needed, but if I had my way it would be a Revell model.  Their quality is always much better.  I hope it looks better than the hard top version did. 

#65 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Here's a link to a detailed review and commentary on this new kit release from Round 2 AMT.  There are several reasons why I think this new issue is preferable to the one previous issue of the '69 convertible kit back in 1978 (both kit issues shown below).   

http://public.fotki....ookwhats-new-1/

DSC_0007-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking...TIM

#66 Mike Chernecki

Mike Chernecki

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Chernecki

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Tim, I was looking forward to a detailed review, but you have that album locked.

#67 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Olson

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I couldn't view this link  ^ the model but spent a long time looking at all the other kits you have in your fotki site .

#68 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Tim, I was looking forward to a detailed review, but you have that album locked.

Sorry guys...I locked it until I was able to post the text, but then forgot to remove the password when I posted the links.  It's fixed now.  Enjoy...TIM  

I couldn't view this link  ^ the model but spent a long time looking at all the other kits you have in your fotki site .

Randy...fixed now...sorry for the confusion but glad you enjoyed the other content...Best Regards...TIM 

#69 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,567 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Kudos to Round 2 on the decals!

#70 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,177 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Sweet!   

Thanks, Tim.

#71 kelson

kelson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Full Name:curtis boxill

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm wondering if the chrome trim along the bottom edge of the body has been removed I couldn't tell looking at the pics.

#72 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the review Tim! Interesting that the box art on the side shows the convertible with the vent windows-----as you mentioned, those were dropped for the '69 convertibles and hardtops. They were still available on the two and four door post sedans though.

I have the original '78 issue of this kit, but this one is so much nicer, I think I'll be spending some more money soon! ;)

Curtis it's hard to tell, but to my sight it looks the chrome trim is gone. It's an easy addition however.

#73 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm wondering if the chrome trim along the bottom edge of the body has been removed I couldn't tell looking at the pics.

Curtis...it's still there but should be a fairly quick and easy removal....thanks for asking...TIM

#74 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the review Tim! Interesting that the box art on the side shows the convertible with the vent windows-----as you mentioned, those were dropped for the '69 convertibles and hardtops.

Bill...thanks...I didn't notice that....but I just figured out...the side panel art in light blue with the vent windows is a direct lift from the "stock version" end panel of the '78 Countdown issue box art.  I just noticed that the '68 blackout lower treatment is in this illustration as well. 

Seems we (or at least I) wasn't as sharp about catching these discrepancies back in the day.  Thanks for pointing that out....TIM 

#75 chadrob30

chadrob30

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Full Name:Chad Robinson

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Got this the other day...has a lot of flash...I messed up the paint so it is going into the purple pond, but will be wearing Honduras Maroon when it's done.

#76 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Tim for the pictures...

#77 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

I was so hoping Round2 would mold some decent tail lights for this kit. :(  Some red lenses would have helped what they did put out immensely. I'm just going to scratchbuild a pair and be done with it.

#78 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Tim, that was a very nicely commented pictorial of the Chevelle convertible kit. I have a couple of comments.

The original 1969 Chevelle did come as kit hardtop with promo versions of the hardtop and convertible. It is interesting to note that the 1978 convertible kit box showed the interior and boot of the original promo on the box cover, yet the the kit inside used a different interior tub and boot which included the downward arms that hid the convertible mechanism. I am guessing that in 1978, somebody at AMT used a promo, or parts of it to mock up a model to do a photo shoot. This is after AMT fired all the artists and used actual photos of the kits on the model boxes.

Round2 has done a terrific job at bringing back the old kits. I particularly like the inclusion of parts missing from previous re-issues. The pad printed tires are icing on the cake.

I have several versions of the AMT '69 Chevelle. As far as I can tell, none have the correct side marker lights or trim on the side. But, it is in no way a deal breaker. I shaved off the '68 chrome trim on the rocker panels made new thin side marker lights out of Evergreen styrene. You have to make new wheel lip moldings from Evergreen as well, but again, no big deal.

With the inclusion of '68 Chevelle windshield glass, making a '68 is easier. So that is a good thing.

I also looked at the two kits I had; an original 1978 issue and the new Round2 issue. However, after looking at your photos I realize that I missed some important thing Round2 did. I am glad you pointed out them.

Great job,

#79 kelson

kelson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Full Name:curtis boxill

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply's on the trim,i too have the 78'release but will be picking this one up for sure after reading the review and the additional parts included. :)

Edited by kelson, 27 January 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#80 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Tim, that was a very nicely commented pictorial of the Chevelle convertible kit. I have a couple of comments.

The original 1969 Chevelle did come as kit hardtop with promo versions of the hardtop and convertible. It is interesting to note that the 1978 convertible kit box showed the interior and boot of the original promo on the box cover, yet the the kit inside used a different interior tub and boot which included the downward arms that hid the convertible mechanism. I am guessing that in 1978, somebody at AMT used a promo, or parts of it to mock up a model to do a photo shoot. This is after AMT fired all the artists and used actual photos of the kits on the model boxes.

Round2 has done a terrific job at bringing back the old kits. I particularly like the inclusion of parts missing from previous re-issues. The pad printed tires are icing on the cake.

I have several versions of the AMT '69 Chevelle. As far as I can tell, none have the correct side marker lights or trim on the side. But, it is in no way a deal breaker. I shaved off the '68 chrome trim on the rocker panels made new thin side marker lights out of Evergreen styrene. You have to make new wheel lip moldings from Evergreen as well, but again, no big deal.

With the inclusion of '68 Chevelle windshield glass, making a '68 is easier. So that is a good thing.

I also looked at the two kits I had; an original 1978 issue and the new Round2 issue. However, after looking at your photos I realize that I missed some important thing Round2 did. I am glad you pointed out them.

Great job,

Bob...thanks for the feedback and further comments. 

When AMT did the art for the Countdown series, much of the Art Department was still intact (I was doing work for them at the time....the '65 El Camino countdown kit pictured the build they commissioned from me for that kit). 

It was probably about  six months later, when the strike hit, that they laid off the rest of the Art Department.  I had interviewed for full time work there, but the strike happened and they told me no job was available....weeks later I started at Ford and lost all contact with that group....

TB