#21 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Full Name:James Tarver

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

So I am looking through photos and I think this is the stance I will try to go with.

sport_truck_wallpapers+1964_chevy_pickup

I will get some photos of the stock height up by this evening, but its no where close. I am hoping to find a build somewhere of a good way to drop this thing another 1/8 inch

#22 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Finally got started on the kit today. I was hoping not to have too much custom work to get this thing low but it looks like its gonna need help.

DSC_0141-XL.jpg

Its not a bad stance but the look I am going for is much lower. Sooooo I put together the chasis and cross members to see what needed to be adjusted.

The seems to be the only issue. I dont really see a place to just cut and remove so drop it down. If anyone has some pointers, or previsouly built kits I can use as build plan that would be cool. This will be my first attempt at anything other than simply chopping blocks to lower the car.

DSC_0153-XL.jpg

The rear seems simple. Chop the the rear braces like an 1/8 and I think it will totally change the look of the truck. No crazy tricks needed, rear diff should still clear.

DSC_0151-XL.jpg

Removed this line fromt eh hood I did not like.

DSC_0144-XL.jpg

DSC_0145-XL.jpg

Other than the ride height situation, the other issue is the quality of the kit. I guess I am too used to tamiya kits which too me are some of the very best. Lots of thin gaps in the front clip and most annoying of all... The detail of the interior roof liner is ruined by these injection mold circles. Obviously removing them is a no brainer, but I do not think I can do so without messing up the molded in detail.

DSC_0150-XL.jpg

More pics tomorrow. Like I said.. slow process.

#23 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Nevius

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

I will get you some pictures of how I did mine. The front was really simple but I decided to scratcbuild the rear half of my frame. I guess it really depends if you want looks or accuracy.

#24 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

For me its just the skill level. I dont want to jump into a hard project. I need to practice and learn a bit more first haha

#25 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Well mine was nothing special about as simple as you can get.

#26 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Sounds good Justin, I appreciate any help.

#27 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Well here it is. For the front I took a match and heated up the edge of the a arm up against the frame and bent it up. The lower a arms can be bent without any heat. for the back I did it just like any custom frame so the truck would sit low. I dont have a picture of the frame finished but I just made a simple box over top of the rearend allowing the frame to drag the ground. I have it finished now so I will get some pictures of it tonight.

062-3_zps4057a73c.jpg

063-2_zps424dd57d.jpg

Edited by 502, 19 June 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#28 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Heres some better pictures of how I did mine.

009-10_zps96307401.jpg

010-12_zpsaadb26ca.jpg

#29 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

If you need any detail pics of this truck I can get them from my 66.

#30 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for the offer Joshua, whats under the hood of your 66'?

#31 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Nothing right now lol. Had the plans of doing a 250 straight 6 but I'm holding out to drop a v8 off in there.

#32 outragis

outragis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Ragis

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

James, I have a custom chopped body and a stock one waiting in the wings, can't wait to see some tips and tricks! I got the popcorn out, now lets see the main feature! looks great by the way!

#33 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think I have decided to focus on getting back into the simple things.. so I will do this as stock as I can. Updates coming this week. I finally have a day off tomorrow and Monday so I can get some work done!

#34 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

So I guess I am ok with the ride height.. The front is a tad higher than the rear.. so I will use the hot water trick to bend it a bit.

DSC_0864%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

Also, not sure how I will approach the bed. The bed is detailed ot be wood so any pointers on that part would be cool.

DSC_0865%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

1964_chevrolet_pickup002.jpg

Edited by Project510, 23 June 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#35 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Also, not sure how I will approach the bed. The bed is detailed ot be wood so any pointers on that part would be cool.

Note that the trucks came from the factory with the wood bed painted black. It's only a hot rod / over restored thing to finish the wood and add chrome strips.  I did my '65 pickup bed in black.  If you want to do the wood thing, PM me your email addy and I'll send you a tutorial on wood graining that Irv Arter did a while back.

#36 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info Tom!

#37 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

While the site was down I got a bit of work in. I mostly spent my spare time moving stuff around in the storage the make room for the Artograph booth.

Not to get off track here, but once I set it up I was able to open a gift I had received many years ago... am Iwata DA airbrush. Unfortunately as I was trying to practive with it, I may have burned out the badger compressor I was using. It is also brand new. Or well, 6 years ago it was.. but has never been used. AAfter about 5 minutes of being on it got very hot and stopped. after an hour it did turn back on, and sort of works.. but will get hot. 

I switched back to my Tamiya Surface pimer in the can and realized I was getting the paint to lay nice and smooth from the can, but rough and uneven from the airbush. I do not know if it was my lack of expedrience, impropert setup of the airbrush... or the busted compressor that did me in. For this build I will stick to the spray can!

DSC_0899%5B1%5D-L.jpg

DSC_0898%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I really want to use the OEM style wheel from this kit, but I can not for the life of me get the inserts inside the tires. I am using the xtra Chrome wheels just to get an idea of what were looking at. Because I am gonna go stock, I dont think I will lower this one.

#38 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Awesome build, keeping my eye on this one, one question however, and I apologize if you already explain how you got them, are they detail master or did you lathe them yourself?

#39 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

To which part are you referring to specifically Darren? I dont have any detail masters parts or hand crafted parts for this truck. I am a bit confused lol

#40 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,173 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Kewl . . .