MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

062-3_zps4057a73c.jpg

063-2_zps424dd57d.jpg

Im referring to the aluminum pulleys mocked up on the engine in the top pic. If its not detail master or done on a lathe its very convincing paint. Reason I ask is I have a Sherline lathe that I'm trying to learn, I have made a few pulleys that came out ok but takes me hours fooling around with the particular cutting bits,  just cause you have a particular tool doesn't mean your an instant master, boy did i find out after 900.00 worth of Sherline lathe and tools, Im trying to learn being a metal smith. I need to have someone train me on my lathe.

Edited by Darren B, 03 August 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#42 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Im referring to the aluminum pulleys mocked up on the engine in the top pic. If its not detail master or done on a lathe its very convincing paint. Reason I ask is I have a Sherline lathe that I'm trying to learn, I have made a few pulleys that came out ok but takes me hours fooling around with the particular cutting bits,  just cause you have a particular tool doesn't mean your an instant master, boy did i find out after 900.00 worth of Sherline lathe and tools, Im trying to learn being a metal smith. I need to have someone train me on my lathe.

And that's why I haven't bought one. Too big a learning curve. There was a guy in my club who got very proficient at making metal shavings, and that was as far as he got with it.  If I wanted to be a machinist, I would have gone into the trade. I don't believe I'd enjoy it. I have found the limits of how far I want to go with the hobby.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 03 August 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#43 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Nevius

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Those pulleys are from jb hobbies.

#44 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Tom, yeah thats about all i get, is a pound of shavings. I have made a few cool pulleys but thats it. I could have bought a lot of aftermarket machined parts waaaayyyyyy cheaper.

Justion, JB Hobbies, do they have a website?

#45 bpletcher55

bpletcher55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Full Name:blair pletcher

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

DARREN, I DID NOE OF THESE A FEW YEARS BACK AND HAD IT SLAMMED!

104ma91.jpg

nqdy80.jpg

1aq1d.jpg

#46 502

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Nevius

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

Darren here is the link to his old site so you can atleast see what he offers. It will probably be just a little bit before you could order anything. He's been gone for about the past year. He said he had family issues to deal with so now he's in the process of finishing the orders he already had. He is a good guy to deal with and he has good parts. The site probably has some contact info on it.
http://jbhobbies.freewebspace.com/

#47 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

thanks guys

#48 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Looking real good!

#49 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Full Name:James Tarver

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Sorry for the confusion Darren, those pics were not of my Kit.. but another forum member psoting some tips. Glad you got your answer tho.

Planning my wedding and two jobs has slowed work down on my end. I was able to paint the engine. I did paint the cab and bed white it jsut needs soem wet sanding so I can mask it off for the real colors.

#50 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Look who finally found one

IMG_1282_zps7e68dceb.jpg

IMG_1287_zps72b67e63.jpg

IMG_1285_zps887517ce.jpg

#51 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

That looks GREAT Chris.. What wheels are those they look superb

#52 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

IMG_2975-vi.jpg

Don't get too excited, the blue '66 is diecast!

#53 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

That looks GREAT Chris.. What wheels are those they look superb

Pegasus 23 Hollies 

#54 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Have been so busy at work I have not been able to get any work done. Good news is I FINALLY got the truck to sit how I like it. Now all I need is to figure out how to keep the front fenders.

1926815_10201569006978168_732360529_n.jp

Sorry for the crappy Cell pic.. Canon was dead.  

I should be posting more on this as I go along. 

I did also get a promotion so I am moving. In about 3 weeks I will have to pack everything up. I am once again loosing my build station and will have to convince the wife to be ok with me building in the spare bedroom.

#55 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

So I have been struggling with the wheels in this kit. I dont know if the kit sat in storage too long and the rubber is like plastic or what, but I cant for the life of me to get these whiles pieced together. The actual inner rim section WILL NOT get into any of the 4 tires.

I was curious, I like the look of these and they are the correct scale but how can I go about checking if the kit supplied wheels with fit these tires?

E54AE9EE-8407-4F81-96F1-CF4218AB6919-386

#56 Nate

Nate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Nate Johnson

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Which wheels do you want to use?  The kit supplied steel wheels, or the kit supplied torque thrusts?  The torque thrusts will be too wide for those AMT tires.

FYI, the torque thrust wheels and tires are 2 different sizes.  The smaller ones go in the front.  In your photos above it looks like you have the smaller wheels on the back.

Here's a photo of an in-progress build I have using that same chassis and wheels and tires:

1972ChevyStepsideCustom-22.jpg

Also, you might need to remove the inner fender skirting.  It's how most full sized truck guys get theirs to sit super low.

64Chevy4.jpg

Edited by Nate, 03 April 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#57 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Which wheels do you want to use?  The kit supplied steel wheels, or the kit supplied torque thrusts?  The torque thrusts will be too wide for those AMT tires.

FYI, the torque thrust wheels and tires are 2 different sizes.  The smaller ones go in the front.  In your photos above it looks like you have the smaller wheels on the back.

Also, you might need to remove the inner fender skirting.  It's how most full sized truck guys get theirs to sit super low.

Thanks Nate, the wheels in the pic are the Torque from the kit, but I dont want to use them. It looks like the fronts are incorrect because the it only has the back section ( I was just checking stance)

I deff like the stock wheels better, kinda going for that look where its a family truck passed down, so a younger guy left it stock but just lowered it.

Speaking of the included steel wheels, I must have got a lemon of a kit because in all my years of modeling I have never had a set of wheels be so freaking difficult to assemble. maybe its the years and years of the box sittig in storage and rubber turned ot plastic but wow.. I got them in to test and now i dont want to remove them to paint LOL

I am happy with the stance now, just need to get her painted.

DSC_0244-X2.jpg

Edited by Project510, 07 April 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#58 Ray J

Ray J

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:Raymond Jenkins

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Any updates on this Build?