#41 checkmate

checkmate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Burns

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

The 73 issue had the 454 option and surfboards also. (Red, white and blue box art)

chevdragvan.jpg

Going of the contents it's virtually identical to the Strip and Surf van, except the decals.

Edited by checkmate, 05 February 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#42 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,152 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

Ahhhh, but would there be enough interest in window vans to merit a resin caster's effort?

#43 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

Ahhhh, but would there be enough interest in window vans to merit a resin caster's effort?

Maybe, but I doubt it. Maybe if the caster offered a dedicated window van body with the insert already molded in place, the drip rails back in place, and a few bench seats. The clear windows might be a challenge, too.

#44 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

Maybe, but I doubt it. Maybe if the caster offered a dedicated window van body with the insert already molded in place, the drip rails back in place, and a few bench seats. The clear windows might be a challenge, too.

Casey, couldn't one create the windows with some clear plastic? IIRC there weren't any compound shapes to those side windows. 

#45 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Just got the one which I'd ordered a few weeks ago ; the red-colour-mould version (by choice) .

I was happy to see :

- Restoration of the ambre and red exterior lighting

- Front seats were also restored

- Snow tyres

I for one am pleased as pie to see this kit --in any incarnation-- available again !

#46 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,152 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Casey, couldn't one create the windows with some clear plastic? IIRC there weren't any compound shapes to those side windows. 

Correct.  Side windows are flat. 

#47 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Could we get pics of the parts?

#48 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Considering the windows are pretty simple to create, what if someone were to offer a template for a window van? One could trace an outline and then using some basic tools cut out the windows, no?

#49 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Very Possible

Outside view

rescuevansidewindowsinside2_zpsb9773704.

Inside view

rescuevansidewindowsoutside3_zps63c538d3

There is a step ledge to hold it in the body on the inside and a ledge on the outside to fit flush.

#50 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

I've had mine for about two weeks now, there are a few parts omitted vs the original Rescue van, No window inserts as mentioned, no Police parts (Ie big bumper ETC). However, decal sheet is a beautiful and so are the new tires.

GEDC1818_zps8a2d5d4b.jpg

GEDC1819_zpsa2d0b7e9.jpg

GEDC1821_zps4b165d11.jpg

GEDC1822_zps49e0fcdc.jpg

#51 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Anybody have pics of a red one?

#52 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

Those chunky snow tire looking tires look like the ones that were in the 'Kandy Van' issue I built as a kid.

#53 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Those 'New' Snow tires look like the "Gates Commandos" included in the original issue of this Rescue van.

As well as the 72 Blazer kit from Model  King. (And the Original annuals from before!!)

I have a few of them, and a GMC Jimmy with them!

For Snow tires, I would rather have the MPC Suburbanite's!!They would be closer in size 

to the Stock tires in the kit.

#54 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

I've just posted a full review of the kit contents of Round 2's reissue of this 1971 Chevy G30 "Rescue Van", along with a comparison to the original 1971 "T516" issue of the kit.  28 photos and commentary at the link (you may want to use the "roll" feature view the pictures and text as one continuous presentation).

Thanks for looking...TIM    http://public.fotki....chevy-rescue-v/

DSC_0293-vi.jpg

Edited by tim boyd, 02 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#55 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

But, Back then Even Cargo vans had windows in the rear doors!!!
I remember reading about owners getting tickets for them being covered,
or blocked by contents IN the van!!

In the one-to-one world, glass, other than the front doors and windshield was optional on all the manufacturer's cargo vans. In our area, most customers preferred them without any glass for security reasons. A lot of the vans I sold were that way.

#56 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the excellent review , Tim :) .

I first built one of the 70's-issues of this kit back in late 1977 when I was 7 years old . I don't remember what the box art portrayed , but am sure that it was a customised version .

I still vividly recall the day that I bought it ; it was the day that Elvis died . I got it at the GEMCO in Downey (Calif) on a rainy late afternoon . When I got home , I went to my bedroom , turned-on the television , and tuned-in to the Spiderman cartoon programme .

Unfortunately , I had a devil of a time with assembling the wheel / tyre assemblies to the "kingpins" ... God only knows what happened to that kit ; it was boxed-up and forgotten about .

In 1984 , I tried for a requiem ! A local sporting goods store sold kits . Many of their kits were very highly-priced , so they sat for decades on the shelves (!!) . Many of the boxes were even Sun-bleached ! Well , on their shelf was the same 1970-something Chevy Van that I'd had 7 years prior . I figured that , at age 14 , I would be able to tackle building this kit again !

I was right ! Came out quite nice ... then the 1987 earthquake destroyed it (GRrrUMpH !)

Anyhow ...

I believe that the A-TEAM issue / retool from c.1982 did the most *damage* to the tooling , IMO . The only reason I used to buy the A-TEAM kit was for its tyres and plain steel wheels for use on other builds .

Other *subtle* changes to the tooling vs. the newer versions :

- The "plate" on the interior platform which used to occupy the space behind the seats . I believe that that "plate" was introduced when the wild 454 engine option came about for 1972 or 1973.

- The custom wheels --American Racing type--- have been unchanged since at least 1977 . Even the A-TEAM version had them !

The last time I built one of these vans was back in 2003 ; the RC2 A-TEAM reissue . I opened the hood , as I wanted the engine to be seen . However , the compartment looked so bland that the opening hood effort was wasted .

I mention this only because I wanted to quell your concerns about making the hood operational . The cowl area is reasonably thick , perhaps as an artifact of the issues with the original 1971 version's weak point.

So , cut away !

Thank God the correct , stock seats have returned !!!!

#57 DrGlueblob

DrGlueblob

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Full Name:Chip Johnson

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm going to buy a couple of these, if just for the neat decal sheet.

Wouldn't is be great if someone with the side window inserts posted a scale sized pic of them we could work with (pdf?)..

#58 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

I'm going to buy a couple of these, if just for the neat decal sheet.

Wouldn't is be great if someone with the side window inserts posted a scale sized pic of them we could work with (pdf?)..

Try looking back at post #49..

#59 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,361 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

But, Back then Even Cargo vans had windows in the rear doors!!!

I remember reading about owners getting tickets for them being covered,

or blocked by contents IN the van!!

IIRC, most if not all cargo vans still can be had with or without windows in the back doors, I've also seen several current Chevy and GMC cargo vans that have smaller than factory and most likely aftermarket back windows installed in those doors...........and look like garbage that way too!

BTW, how were those tickets written? IIRC here in Illinois, all vehicles have to have at least 2 useable mirrors, so long as those vans had mirrors on both front doors, they should be legal.

I may be wrong but all ambulance and rescue vans have windows in the back???

#60 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

I may be wrong but all ambulance and rescue vans have windows in the back???

Some did and some did not.... I had a 73 Chevy cargo van I drove it had no rear or side windows in it....later we did add window doors to it that popped open it had no AC.