#21 LongRoofNut

LongRoofNut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Full Name:Jonny Carson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

It's kinda like a pug dog, so ugly but they are cute in a way. I remember as a little guy in the '80s my non kid friendly neighbors had a ton of these in good shape, orange, light blue and green come to mind. I have a '76 wagon kit I will be building as "Oh God" the one John Denver drove in red with the wood panels and a '76 sealed annual that I have yet to touch but I will be picking up a few of these. These will be right at home between my Country Squire, Cadillac Coupe Deville and Chevy Caprice....... :D

#22 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

Another must-have. Wife is going to kill me. :lol:

#23 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Another must-have. Wife is going to kill me. 

Now just remind her your bringing home a model pacer, not a real pacer. :lol:

#24 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,457 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I never understood this, if it made it easier to get into the rear seat why weren't both doors longer? (Most parking is done in lots or driveways)

I think it was meant more for parallel parking situations- the rear seat passenger's could get in from the curb side rather than have to step out into the street.

#25 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'll be getting one of these. I like AMCs, and I have a feeling a lot of those 258s are going to end up in a  lot of other builds.

Charlie Larkin

#26 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Submitted for your approval ; the Randall AMC Pacer XR 401 (see attached photo) !

A little too over-the-top 70's for me ; however , a 401-powered Pacer would be enough to make naysayers stop scoffing !

Attached Files

#27 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

I am looking forward to this reissue.  While we hated most of the '70s cars at the time (and with good reason)  they stubbornly have become parts of our lives and histories.  The skinned knuckles and putrid performance has been long since forgotten, along with the recurring service nightmares caused by these cars.  Now, we seem to fondly remember the cars as being part of the best years of our lives.  

Well put!  With 20/20 hindsight we forget all the hassles and issues, and remember the good stuff!

Back in that era, I was responsible for buying cars and trucks for my company.  Literally when I took delivery of a new executive car, I'd drive it for a week or two to shake it out before handing it over to the intended recipient.  I had a brand new Buick drop a  tranny on the NJ Turnpike and other crazy stories. The company let executives pick out their car, or I'd help them with suggestions. We had a VP whose personal car was an AMC Matador 2 door and he wanted a Honda Accord. Most of us thought he was crazy until we took delivery of the Honda and it had no defects whatsoever. We never had a problem with that one,  or the '78 Toyota wagon I drove as my company car.  

#28 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

My main memory of a Pacer is riding up to Higgins Lake in the back seat of one with the cutest girl in my class (Who was wearing a bikini)  on a perfect summer day for a big picnic with all of our friends.  (And getting baked by all of that glass, while Alice Cooper played on the 8 track).

I don't have any Pacer memories myself, but this one brought back a few similar memories of my own!  Those are the kind of posts that really make me smile! 

#29 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'll be getting one of these. I like AMCs, and I have a feeling a lot of those 258s are going to end up in a  lot of other builds.

Charlie Larkin

Kinda has me wondering what it would take to doctor up one of those 258's and make a 4.0l out of it!

#30 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Was looking at the pdf file of the instructions, that engine is 19 pieces, which is a pretty high parts count even by today's standards (and might be about a third of all the kit's entire contents). That's a lot of time and effort in the design process for a Pacer :D

#31 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Was looking at the pdf file of the instructions, that engine is 19 pieces, which is a pretty high parts count even by today's standards (and might be about a third of all the kit's entire contents). That's a lot of time and effort in the design process for a Pacer :D

Those MPC 70s and 80s cars were done really nice. Throw away cars like the Chevy Cavalier, Ford EXP, and Dodge Omni all have excellent detail and go together well.  And the good part is that many of them can still be bought cheap today. 

#32 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

Owning 2 AMC's now and having owned MANY others......I am happy. True....a early model would be good....but in talking with R2 it may happen if we buy this one....like other 70's era kits sitting in the vault.

AMC was on the verge of breaking out......they had a mini van in the design stage that might mean we would have AMC today and NOT Chrysler !!!!

And what they did with no cash and using parts bin design is amazing! (Javelin used the same glass and door skins from 68 to 74 but you can't really tell!!!)

#33 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hey Dave, I wouldn't mind seeing picture of that AMC minivan if any exist!

#34 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

There is just something very wrong about using a FWD car platform as the basis of a Jeep, IMO...(those were based on the same Mitsubishi derived platform as the Caliber).   The new Cherokee is on the Alfa Romeo-based FWD platform derived used by the Dart.

Considering that the general public doesn't use these for anything rougher than the turnpike, they now produce cars that look like Jeeps. And the average person out there is happy. So be it.

#35 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Considering that the general public doesn't use these for anything rougher than the turnpike, they now produce cars that look like Jeeps. And the average person out there is happy. So be it.

I'm waiting for the "Mall Rated" fender medalions.

#36 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

http://round2models....mpc/amc-pacer-x I was on round 2 website and saw this. Who has built it? I got to have one because it's like a pug dog so ugly but loveable in a way

I built this kit years ago as an annual issue liked it they also had a Pacer wagon kit...Thanks Round 2 for the new reissues coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Some wheres deep in the depths of Google I stumbled across this. Man someone had to have been so stoned at the time they couldn't see.

Attached File  pacer ramp truck.jpg   33.99KB   23 downloads

#38 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

And with the kit coming back....I may build it or something like it. 

#39 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

And with the kit coming back....I may build it or something like it. 

Dave , seriously,  I hope you do ! That would make for such an outrageous KUSTOM

#40 Quintillus

Quintillus

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:J M Desper

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I built one of the 1976 issues of this kit, and used it to propose to my wife. It is a nice little kit with few issues for its age. I made a little video showing the construction, which should give you a sense of the parts available. You can check it out here: