#21 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

Best governed truck I had performance-wise was a '99 Pete 379 with a 550 CAT I had when I drove for Werner. That thing flat flew up hills, you'd have to actually watch your speed going up Monteagle in TN because I could pull it the full 65MPH fully loaded.

I also had a '05 International 9400i with a Cummins, but I set the governor out at 85 (mostly to keep from going any faster) and it would produce 7.5 - 8 MPG all day long, and made trips out West a lot more bearable when you could cruise across AZ, NM & West Texas at 75mph.

Edited by niteowl7710, 22 June 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#22 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yeah Matt, I'm thankful that I have an APU.............when it works! So far, since I've had this Pete, the APU keeps trying to kill batteries, and I've had it in the shop three times now with no success at getting the problem fixed. New alt., new wiring and I still can't run the unit all night long without waking up to a dead truck. I also have to unplug my fridge once I'm parked because of the draw that those things pull. With the combination of both issues it becomes a bit of a challenge to stay comfortable without killing the power to the truck.

It's also funny that you mention Pete power ports melting things. I have one that has already melted my first fridge and a portable inverter plug in. I can't plug anything into that one port now. All the others work fine.

That and the A/C blower works when it wants to. I've tried to get that fixed as well but wouldn't you know it, every time I'm in a shop for something and I can get someone to look at the problem the thing is working so they say they can't fix what isn't broke.

Dang Wayne! If it's that bad I'd be scared to even start the thing up! What type of fridge do you have in there? Usually the Coleman coolers are not too bad on using up the batteries, but the more high end ones are. Good luck with your truck, and I hope they get it figured out.

#23 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well, I have finally made it out of the motel, but not out of the dealer! I'm just waiting on a load assignment now, and have been all day. The whole problem, the NOX sensor in the regeneration system went out, so what I figure set the lights off in the first place was that it was probably going to do a regen as I was going down the road and it found it the sensor was out. Oh well, hurry up and wait!

#24 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

Those regeneration systems are a pain...  I had one of those AC blowers with a mind of its own.  On a 99 T-6. Its issue was the fan control switch. Burned them critters up at least once a month.  The issue was fixed by selling the truck! ^_^

#25 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well, I have made it back home to the Wild and Wonderful, and even though the forum problems prevented me from posting any sooner, if you are waiting for pics of my new ride, you're not getting any! Not that I wouldn't want to share the pics, but there are no pics to be shared. After I finally got the Cascadia out of the Freightliner dealer, I was assigned a load to pick up on Monday the 24th in Richmond, IN and drove out there on the 23rd and bad news. After just the short 100 mile ride from Columbus to Richmond, my back felt almost as bad as it did when I first broke it in December. That and the facts that the load I was assigned actually didn't pick up until Tuesday and a call to the dispatch office for the account that was getting the Cascadia in Tomah and then finding out from them the Volvo I was assigned was not there anymore but was assigned to another driver, I told them I was taking the truck back to the terminal in Springfield and coming home! I turned the truck back in and went on a Leave of Absence (most probably permanently!) and got a bus ticket home. Then after I got back home, my now ex fiancee told me she didn't think it would work between us, so I was saved the hassle of unpacking and packed the rest of my things and currently staying with a friend that is more like a brother to me. I honestly think the ex's problem is she enjoyed being in the truck and I couldn't give her that life anymore, and I'm beginning to think she was more in love with my paychecks than me. Oh well, her loss! I'm happy, and had a wonderful 4th of July with my "family" where I'm staying now, and also was invited and went to my ex wife's house to spend part of the 4th with her and her family as well. My ex wife and I have managed to stay in touch and be parts of each others lives even after our divorce in 2001, and I see this now as a possibility for us to get back together. I'm not rushing into anything with her, but just going to let time take its course, but at least she also knows and understands my back problems and understands I may never drive again and has no problems with either.

Also, the week after I got home again and moved from the ex fiancee's, I had to go back to the emergency room because of my pain. The ER doctor said there was no new damage to the fracture in my vertebrae, the X Rays looked the same as the ones that were done in April when my back doctor said everything was healed. The only thing that the ER doc could figure was that my back was aggravated  from the bouncing up and down in the truck. I don't know for sure, but it appears as if this may be the end of my driving career. I'm sure though, if I feel up to it, I will be able to find out for sure, since both my "brother" and his dad, who we live next door to, are both drivers also, I can go for a short run with them.

#26 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

Sorry to hear about your back issues. Lord knows, I have degenerative disease myself & it has interrupted my career along with my A-Fib issues. No company will touch me now.  So hang in there my friend,  We are all a root'n for ya you aint alone in that class brother!  You are in good company hanging out here.

Rode hard & put away wet they tell me...

Edited by Gramps2u, 12 July 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#27 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

One of the most common reasons for ex-truck drivers. Myself included. Even if I would have recovered with no pain the doctor said I was through driving after my fusion. Said the bouncing around alone would cause all his pretty work to fall apart in a short time.

#28 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Truck'n is hard on the body that's for sure. Thank goodness for Air ride, but those darned old Hendrickson walk'n beams can beat the tar out of ya!

#29 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Well, I went on a short ride with my brother Friday, and the back seemed to handle it pretty well, even helping him strap down the load of pipe he was taking to a gas well here in WV. The trip was a couple hundred miles total and it didn't do bad. It did start hurting after I was on my feet for a while at the gas well as we waited for the pipeline company to unload 22 pieces of pipe and them reload 17 of them back on the trailer after they rejected them. After spending 5 hours on the well site waiting for someone to make up their minds whether they would accept the already reloaded rejects or deliver them back to the shipper, we finally headed home. The back was bugging me a little when we got back home, and on top of the long day we both had, a 6 pack each helped both of us forget the day! When I finished my 6 pack, I wasn't feeling any pain either! 

#30 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. I just hope that maybe someday everything will get back to normal for you. I know what it's like to lose a career that was fun, and made good money, and to lose someone that you thought would stand by you. My best wishes to you for health and happiness.

#31 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Marshall.

#32 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles Matthew.  I hope you can recover fully from the back problems.  I know what that's like also.  I'll say yo to Mike when I see him fer ya.  If you ever get back to Columbus be sure and stop by the hobby store again.  You're welcome to come and visit anytime.  Take care.  Dan

#33 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles Matthew.  I hope you can recover fully from the back problems.  I know what that's like also.  I'll say yo to Mike when I see him fer ya.  If you ever get back to Columbus be sure and stop by the hobby store again.  You're welcome to come and visit anytime.  Take care.  Dan

Thanks Dan, and maybe next time if I'm not in a big truck again, I'll even bring something along!

#34 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

That would be great Matthew.  Take care.  Dan

#35 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

With the new Fed Regs out I couldn't care if I ever get back on the super slab ever again.  Take care of your self Highway lets let the young'ns take over.

#36 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

With the new Fed Regs out I couldn't care if I ever get back on the super slab ever again.  Take care of your self Highway lets let the young'ns take over.

The sad part of it is Bob, I am one of the young'ns!! I'm olny 37 years old!

#37 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

I hear that Gramps! Been following this for some time and they are going to put all but a hand full of BIG companies out of business before they are done and I believe that is exactly what it is all about.

#38 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

The sad part of it is Bob, I am one of the young'ns!! I'm olny 37 years old!

Mercy you must have had some hard work in you early years.

#39 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

It used to be a good living, not any more.

#40 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Mercy you must have had some hard work in you early years.

No, not really, taking  a tumble down the stairs was what started the back problems, I had a compression fracture to my L1 vertebrae. Even though I did put in my fair share of hard miles and long days, but don't tell the DOT!! :lol: