Contest models that got skunked - show 'em!

• You cannot reply to this topic
135 replies to this topic

#121 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,670 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I build, therefore I am!    I build to satisfy the voices in my head.  And some of my odd friends, some of which march to the beat of a different drummer, and some of them refuse to march at all.

If I was out to please everyone I'd be building red Corvettes.  Ooops, I did build one.. it's red under all the rust!

#122 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

I build, therefore I am!    I build to satisfy the voices in my head.  And some of my odd friends, some of which march to the beat of a different drummer, and some of them refuse to march at all.

If I was out to please everyone I'd be building red Corvettes.  Ooops, I did build one.. it's red under all the rust!

*lol*...you also hear the vioces in your head...

#123 spotarama

spotarama

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:mark patrick

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

many years ago, i used to enter our local (sort of national) model show here in australia, i had attended a few before i entered and thought some of my models were at least as good as some on the tables. i never expected to win as making one small modification (de-chroming, different wheels etc and every car i build has something done to it) was enuf to put you into 'modified', fair enuf, those are thr rules but it puts you up against guys using a hundred bucks worth of photo-etch and billet, so as i said, i never expected to win.

what i didn'r expect was for other competitors to re-arrange the models to get theirs into better positions on the table after turning up 5 minutes before entries closed

what i didn't expect was for my models to have parts broken off them whilst displayed or being judged (this happened two years in a row)

what i didn't expect was to hear the (2)winners of one particular class laughing between themselves about 'why do these losers bother turning up, they never stood a chance against us?' (though i did wonder how they managed to build one model between the two of them if one was holding the other one's hand the whole time......)

as a result, not only do i not enter shows anymore, i don't even bother going, they apparently don't want or need my sort of 'loser' to help them pat themselves on their collective backs
after typing the above i've just wandered into the toy room and had a look at some of my builds and remembered why i build what i do...for me.
its exactly the same as my 1:1 motorbikes, some people hate what i do to bikes (acid green and black zebra stripes anyone?) but i'm doing it for me
i hope i don't come across as bitter and twisted, i just realised that the show scene ain't for me, good luck to those that do go for it

#124 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,441 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Frankly you do sound bitter. And I really can't blame you considering your experience. However I think you are losing out on some great times interacting with fellow builders and seeing some great work. Find a new contest, a new club. Don't let a couple of bad experiences keep you from enjoying the social aspects of this hobby.

#125 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Rob, this one's easy. It's black. Black models get lost on a contest table and are often times overlooked. That's my take on it.

#126 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,670 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

as a result, not only do i not enter shows anymore, i don't even bother going, they apparently don't want or need my sort of 'loser' to help them pat themselves on their collective backs

that's a shame. I go to shows to meet people, look at the models and buy things. I don't even enter contests anymore, but may put a model or two on the table just to participate.  There is another style of show called the "NNL" which is a non-competitive meet where everyone is free to display their work in a non-confrontational environment.  I don't know where in Australia you are, but a couple of my mates in Perth run the "Super Saturday" show there, and knowing them as I do (both have been to my house in the USA) I can't imagine their show being anything but quality!

#127 Hakan ERYILMAZ

Hakan ERYILMAZ

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Full Name:Hakan ERYILMAZ

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Congrats

#128 69H.O.Firebird

69H.O.Firebird

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Butler

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

This is a revell 32 ford that I built in 1996. It won the NNL East in the special themed class in 1997. Very proud of that. I then took it to a big show in Mass. Sounds like nascar.  There it got honorable mention. After the judge gave me my ribbon, he told me that my car really won but was disqualified because there was no tread on the back tires. I told him that the owner was doing burnouts that morning & wore the treads down. He had the best look on his face! Never went to another model contest.

Attached Files

Edited by 69H.O.Firebird, 26 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#129 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

This is a revel 32 ford that I built in 1996. It won the NNL East in the special themed class in 1997. Very proud of that. I then took it to a big show in Mass. Sounds like nascar.  There it got honorable mention. After the judge gave me my ribbon, he told me that my car really won but was disqualified because there was no tread on the back tires. I told him that the owner was doing burnouts that morning & wore the treads down. He had the best look on his face! Never went to another model contest.

I'm going to "BORROW " that line for this years I P M S contest when I show the Zeppelin Diner !

#130 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I entered two cars in what I thought was just a show. Later I found out that all entries were being judged. When someone called out my entry numbers to explain my builds. I was told that my 1992 Cougar Cabrio looked like it was built by a 2 yr old child. Talk about heart dropping. My other build was my 1990 Ford F350 Extended Crew Cab. I was asked about it and then shot down again this time with harsher criticism.

Here are my two "Childish and Toy Like" builds.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Cabrio Concept

CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

1990 Ford F350 Extended Crew Centurion Custom

DSCF0642.jpg

DSCF0641.jpg

(Just saw this thread while doing a search for another topic)

I will plainly say that there are flaws with your builds posted here, and while they are minor, I could see how they may not place in a show (though that doesn't make what the judge said valid at all!)

(Opinions of course based on pictures)

For the Cougar, the convertible conversion looks great, especially the windshield frame and the partially raised side window. One flaw though is the black paint along the edges of the hood which can be seen from the outside. It also looks like there might be some glue residue where the rear bumper meets the body. Plus, the wheels don't all seem straight (especially the passenger rear). Also, no fault of your own, but the body kit for this kit just never looked that great to me, it always seemed to make the car look tall and blocky.

For the F-350, the major things are the bed not lining up with the cab, the slightly crooked front bumper, and the crooked front wheels (also the wheel rims don't sit flush with the tires.) The hood also isn't sitting flush (though that may be more of a kit flaw I've found), and the tailgate is a bit low.

However, both paintjobs look great, and overall they are good builds along with interesting subject ideas. Dunno how the guy thinks they look toy-like, I've seen builds that make you wonder how much they spent in tubes of glue!

#131 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

What an interesting topic!

Here's one that always seemed unappreciated to me. I had so much fun building this one because its such an oddball. Who ever heard of making a street machine from a 4dr Plymouth police car??

P1018648.jpg

P1018638.jpg

Raisin

I did one of these up too... I like yours better ...

002-68.jpg

Edited by DragLoKustomz619, 29 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#132 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

For the record, I was thinking about none of those things. It is a fictional build, a sort of "what if?". I had just finished reading Stephen Kings, Dark Tower series. I was naturally artistically inspired when I finished, and thought, what would a Stephen King villain drive? Rather than go with Christine, or the Dark Half's Toronado, I decided on an original piece. The criteria was, full size, low, dark, non-reflective, high horsepower, aggressive, with custom touches to make the car look rather industrial. I settled on the AMT Black Cat Cougar. The tag reads RFLAGG, King's recurring villain, The Man in Black. 

I even built a Gunslinger inspired dio-base for it. Dark Tower fans will see several nods to Mid-World.

I understand than none of the above would make this get very far with a judge, and I never included this info on the build sheet, but I always thought the quality was there even if the "class" was rather ambiguous. 

100_0646.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0652.jpg

100_0654.jpg

This would be a perfect addition to my Stephen King bookshelf. I have every hardback edition of his books and my favorites are "The Stand", "Christine", and "The Dark Tower" series. Your diorama is MASTERFUL!!!

#133 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,441 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Allan. Only a real King fan gets most of the references in the sign.

#134 ERIK88

ERIK88

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Full Name:erik rodriguez

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

This Chevelle of mine has been consistently overlooked, and (like customsrus) I've also been told some judges thought it was simply an out of the box build with painted bumpers and nice paint. It would be good to be judged by people who had enough knowledge of car design to recognize a 4" top-chop, and enough knowledge of model building to realize the level of difficulty in chopping this particular car. It would also have been nice had anyone bothered to actually read the data cards with the model that explained all of the mods, including the full-custom C5-R derived, road-racing chassis. But hey, it's not a perfect world, is it? So far, best it's done is a second in a minor hobby shop show. Lost out to a box-stock build of a Hurst Hairy Olds because the judges saw TWO engines in the Olds and didn't realize the OLDS was a straight kit build. Oh well.

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

DSCN5573.jpg

DSCN5567.jpg

wow who are these people judging contests? lol . U can clearly see the top has been chopped and the custom exhaust coming out from the sides

#135 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Allan. Only a real King fan gets most of the references in the sign.

Can't miss the Eye of the Crimson King. Drink Nozz-A-La!

#136 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I really don't understand these next two, the Talledega is fully detailed, complete braking system, everything you'd think it would take to win, but nothing so far. The Fairlane has pulled down a 3rd place, but nothing else....

69Talladega039-vi.jpg

ResinHood010-vi.jpg

Well, these two still haven't done as well as everyone who sees them thinks they should, but at the CKM NNL last month, they did get photographed for a magazine you may have heard of...

Myentry1966FordFairlane-vi.jpg

P1020895-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 09 September 2013 - 04:28 PM.