Is anyone here going to get the new 1/32 B-17G?

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Here we go: while the Tamiya Corsair was big news, this here's some really B I G news:

IMGP2148-vi.jpg

All 39", 577 pieces, and 800,000 engraved rivets of it (and I wouldn't be surprised if the literal rivet-counter reference were meant to be a little funny).

What's kool is that the fuselage halves and locking wings are presented in such a way that the kit practically shouts "MOCK ME UP":

IMGP2152-vi.jpg

Wiild stuff, full catwalks and cockpit and gun bays, and as you see, the separate upper fuselage sections not only make for easier modification between versions, but also for a removable section to show off interior detail. There's also a small screw-in wall anchor that grabs into the plane by its bomb bay so you can hang it that way if you have absolutely nowhere else for it.  Surface detailing is actually quite fine and handled with a fair amount of finesse.

No way should you cheat your groceries or your mortgage, but if you're able to work out the 300 or so dollars and this is your kind of thing, odds are decent you won't be sorry.  Doesn't so much steal Tamiya's thunder as roll in a mighty cacophony of its own...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 04 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#22 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the pics, Chuck.  I've seen pictures elsewhere and I'm very impressed with it.  I fully intend to get one at some point in time.  I've been a -17 fan since I was a kid back in the mid-60s when 12 O'clock High was a television series.  I got hooked then and have never looked back.  My wife actually gave me a super-cool Christmas gift a few years ago - an armored plate glass window that faced aft in the stinger-equipped Fort tail gun position.  It's one of my most treasured pieces.  They were majestic airplanes...

#23 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

I see, too, from your picture that this version has the staggered waist windows in it.  That's a cool feature!

Edited by futurattraction, 05 August 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#24 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I see, too, from your picture that this version has the staggered waist windows in it.  That's a cool feature!

only indicates later G model ;)

#25 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

For any one really interested in the B-17 but really can't pony up the BIG bucks or the BIG space necessary to display much less build such a LARGE kit the older Monogram  kit is a great alternative. Have a look at what they've done over the years: http://www.swannysmodels.com/B17G.html :D

boxart.jpg

#26 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Love the older Monogram kit.  

Also dig The Revell Germany/current ProModeler 1/72 17G - necessarily more coarse for scale far as panels and surface detail go, but the interior detail is nice and all the control surfaces pivot.  And if it's a bit pricier than the classic Monogram 1/48, it's certainly the most manageable for space...

B) 

#27 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Space ? No room ? How about these ? They're 1/144th scale.boeing-b-17g-flying-fortress-1-144-minic41F8m3FU6TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg$(KGrHqFHJCUE7zK)bsOQBPDYqWbfT!~~60_35.J

Edited by Greg Myers, 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#28 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

.... My wife actually gave me a super-cool Christmas gift a few years ago - an armored plate glass window that faced aft in the stinger-equipped Fort tail gun position.  It's one of my most treasured pieces.  They were majestic airplanes...

Missed that earlier! That's very cool, Scott...

#29 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

If I can scare up a few minutes this weekend, I'll try to take a pic of it and post it.  It's made up of five layers of glass with what I'm presuming is some sort of plastic laminate between each layer.  It is HEAVY for no larger size than it is...

#30 Len Woodruff

Len Woodruff

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Full Name:Len Woodruff

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Very kool. I might need to get the 1/32 version.

#31 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

I just got one.  I don't know when I'll get around to working on it.  Maybe when I retire. LOL  I haven't had tons of time to look at it so far, but at first glance it looks pretty impressive.

#32 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

I wonder if the aftermarket will make metal rivets that you can use to replace the molded in ones.. :)

#33 Len Woodruff

Len Woodruff

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Full Name:Len Woodruff

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

I just got one.  I don't know when I'll get around to working on it.  Maybe when I retire. LOL  I haven't had tons of time to look at it so far, but at first glance it looks pretty impressive.

Scott where did you buy it?

#34 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

SprueBrothers.com is where I got it. They were in stock and they were the best price I had seen one - $278.99 and free shipping. I ordered it Wed and arrived Thu. I couldn't believe it!
Scott

#35 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

And if you can not afford one, just build one from scratch!

Warning! Amazing Modeling Skills Ahead!!

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=38905