Hi. I’m going to be converting a Revell 2010 Mustang into a Pro Stock car using the racers of Larry Morgan and Jim Cunningham as 1:1 references. There are a lot of body tweaks like narrowing and body extensions used in these cars and doing this with a stock model kit will require a bunch of body work that I haven’t done before, so bear with me on this.
I found a blueprint on-line for a Pro Stock Camaro built by Five Star Race Car Bodies that included NHRA approved body measurements and I used that as my guide to determine how much I could alter the Mustang. It’s all educated guesswork
To mark the cut lines I trimmed a strip of styrene and glued it to the centerline of the body since that would hold it in place best and I was going to toss it anyway.
After I cut the body the long way I put it back together to match things up before cutting the front off for the nose extension. I glued all the headlights in to add to the structural strength after I cut it. The only part of the front end that needs to be real is the headlights. The grill and running lights can be simulated. I have a decal for that.
I cut and extended the hood after trimming out the center portion to fit the hood scoop. The scoop is really a hat that locks tight to the carbs and the hood slides over it. The scoop I got from Competition Resins scaled out to something like 50 inches long, so I cut that down while I was at it. ProStock cars all have bowed hoods but I decided to not try that given that I have already destroyed one Mustang trying to do all this. I have the feeling that I might need to do this to clear the tunnel ram intake and carbs, and my plan is to cut the raised portion out of the center of the hood and elevate it as needed, then use sheet styrene to build out to the edges of the hood. But only if needed.
The front end is a lift off deal so I glued the hood on and used it as a marker to fit the rest of the front end in place. The stiffness of the hood kept pulling the nose up, so I glued a strip of styrene between the tail and nose to pull it down. I put a cross piece in place to position the remains of the front wheel wells while I added reinforcing stuff and got to the putty stage. Kinda looks like I crucified the poor thing.
More body work to be done today. Wish me luck.
Edited by ScaleDale, 19 August 2013 - 07:47 PM.