#22 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

(From July 7, in the Time of the Blackout)

Hi, again. I’ve finished my chassis and painted the frame rails with Tamiya Gunmetal and the back sheet metal with Alclad dark aluminum. All in all it looks pretty good to me.

Most of the last few days have been spent working on the front suspension and it’s mounts. I got a set of front struts and springs from Scott at Future Attraction and took a few days to paint and assemble them. It was pretty straight foreword for me but some of the parts seemed impossibly small. Such is the nature of PE and the aftermarket in general.

The greatest challenge so far has been fabricating upper suspension mounts and lower control arms. I used 1.6 mm rod for the lower arms and the same size 1/2 round for the upper mounts. My heat gun allowed me to get the bends in the lower arms nice and smooth but I had to cut the loop off to make sure the hub would fit to the strut axle when it was assembled. A piece of 2 mm tube formed a boot for the bottom of the strut to set in. The top mount is only a single piece so I made a hook at the end to loop it around the top chassis rail for a more secure fit. It still fell off several times before I managed to get it epoxied in place. I’m not a suspension expert, so let me know if I did anything wrong for the next time I use these things.

It just barely fits the body and I had to remove the styrene trim from the inside of the front wheel wells and may need to trim them foreword a bit.

I got a wing installed on the body and it settled while the glue set so I had to pop it off and start over. It’s on it’s 2nd or 3rd trip through sanding land now.

Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think. If you have any ideas as to how to make the front end stronger, please pass them on.

inmc.jpg

2a0o.jpg

Thanks for your time. More to come in a few days. I will try to get up to date before next Wednesday when I have to take a break from building.

Dale

#23 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Looking good Dale, I just ordered and recieved a set of those front coil overs from Scott at Future Attraction too for a project I have been working on, quality parts!! Keep the updates coming! :D 

#24 krazyglu

krazyglu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Witte

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Looking good, I like what you have going on here.  Here is a link to the smallest hardware that I know of, be warned though it's not cheap and a specialty screwdriver/ nut wrench are required for something this small http://www.scalehardware.com/

#25 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Looking good Dale, I just ordered and recieved a set of those front coil overs from Scott at Future Attraction too for a project I have been working on, quality parts!! Keep the updates coming! :D 

The front end is probably the most straight foreword assembly he has, but some of the photos in the instructions are out of order. The tolerances are very tight, so don't paint anything until you're ready and handle it as little as possible.

Looking good, I like what you have going on here.  Here is a link to the smallest hardware that I know of, be warned though it's not cheap and a specialty screwdriver/ nut wrench are required for something this small http://www.scalehardware.com/

I am currently finishing a 4 link suspension and wheelie bar from Future Attractions for this project and have been using rod ends and tubes from R&B Motion and 0.85mm threaded nuts and bolts from Scale Hardware for it. I have two of those 1mm hex wrenches. Quite a trip working with stuff this small.

Edit: Here is a lower cost source for scale fasteners with minimum orders of 144 pieces.

JI Morris and Co

Thanks for the interest and support.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale, 17 July 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#26 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi, again. With the comments regarding Future Attractions PE and fasteners from Scale Hardware and R&B Motion, I thought I’d step out of my timeline to where I am today to show you the rear suspension that is built using components from these folks.

The 4 link came with brackets, rods and rod ends but no instructions or photos of the assembled part. I eventually went to SummitRacing.com and downloaded installation instructions for a 4 link and got it together correctly. I opted for better rod ends from RB Motion and connected everything with 0.85mm threaded hex nuts and bolts. All of the holes had to be opened up a bit with micro drills and a pin vise.

The rear end is the 9 inch Ford from FA and includes spacers and nice disk brakes and calipers that aren’t in the picture. It comes with a steel tube axel, but I dropped it with heavy molded rubber slicks tacked on and bent it. I was able to push it out and replaced it with some 1.6mm wire core rod from Plastruct. It’s strong and has some flex.

The coil over shocks were a real pain to work with even though they came with a nice clear diagram for assembly. The tolerances were so tight that a coat of paint rendered them unusable and I had to drill the resin core out in able to slip the tube through it. I eventually broke it and built my own from RB Motion tube, styrene tube and rod ends. the only remaining FA artifact is the spring itself and a small resin insert that managed to survive somehow. Having rod ends on both ends gives me more mounting options.

The wheelie bars required a lot of fabrication, and Scott makes that clear on his web page. The wheels, housings and back axel are in the kit. I used tubing and rod ends to construct the rest after another trip to Summit. Good thing they don’t charge for downloads! It’s not exactly square. Using a Dremel and CA just isn’t exacting science. I was going to “X” the top bars to square it out, but was so relieved to finish this that I’m not going to. It is a model.

hv2j.jpg

Back to the past tomorrow.

Dale

#27 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

(From July 11)

Hi, again. I have the chassis finished and the interior as detailed as I get on these things. Fitting the seat under the secondary roll cage was a bit of a hassle with the tight clearances I allowed but I managed OK. The seat is out of the Double Dragster kit in my parts box. The dash is from a road race Camaro I got free and has way too many instruments for drag racing. I scratch built the shift light and dash cowl. The transmission with the engine kit is a Lenco and these cars run gear boxes from Liberty Gears so I scratched up a Liberty style shifter and tunnel to go over the Lenco control rods.

The motor is finished except for the radiator and headers and is glued in at this point. It’s out of the Jukebox Ford Pro Sportsman kit and the valve covers are generic “modern pro stock” from Competition Resins. I drilled out the spark plug holes to match the pattern I found in my research of the motor used in the current Ford Pro Stock cars. The distributor is scratch built and uses telephone wire. It took me three tries to get one that didn’t look either too big or small.

I have the first round of several minor eye surgeries to clear up cataracts due in around two weeks from today (today being July 11), so I need to work on anything requiring depth perception before that. I’m not sure how long I’ll have one eye (then the other) patched.

0ol1.jpg

j1tu.jpg

Thanks for your time. More to come.

Dale

#28 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

This is finally it for the chassis. After tonight the wheels and tires will be epoxied in place and it will be waiting for the finished body work and that will be that.

In the process of mounting the 4 link, I lost one of the springs and had to scratch build my own from wire. Now there isn’t anything left at all of the coil overs from Future Attractions except a good idea of how to do this. Some things just work out like that.

When I did a test fit of the tires on the suspension and body the fit was way too tight. The "Modern Pro Stock/Super Stock" tires from Competition Resins scaled out to 18 inches wide and around 34 inches in diameter which seemed a bit on the big side. I took a tour through YellowBullet.com forums, usual source of drag race BS and found a post from a Goodyear employee that stated the NHRA Pro Stockers run 16 inch tread slicks. I put them on my drill and turned them down with course sandpaper and they fit OK now.

When the suspension was mounted and set, the wheelie bars touched the ground so I had to pop the axle and cut the upper bars to shorten them. I added sleeves of styrene tube painted red to join the cut sections and decided to just leave them separate rather than try to replace the axle with everything in place. What I wound up with was a set of working independently adjustable wheelie bars mounted to a stainless steel adjustable 4 link suspension. In 1:25 scale. Impressive!

xmao.jpg

ayn3.jpg

And now I will return to the body shop. I'm still not firmed up on a paint scheme, though. With the amount of body work I've done I seem to be leaning towards something dark to cover all the hacks, but then again a lighter color will let me goof with decals more. The paint on the Larry Morgan car is beyond my skill level but I think I could do the red on the Cunningham car. Or just go my own way. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your time.

Dale

#29 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

Way kool!!!!

#30 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Way kool!!!!

Thanks. I have a safety box that I keep finished sub assemblies like this in while I work on other components and I found the rear tire sheet metal in the box when I went to stash this. Forgot about it... Seems like I'm never done.

Dale

#31 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've been watching your progress since you started this one. A lot of work already done on this one, and it really shows. The body and chassis are both very nice pieces of art! Great work.

#32 ewaskew

ewaskew

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Full Name:Earl Miller

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

I like to scratch build a lot myself and I know whats involved in something like this.

You have done a very nice job with everything you have done so far on this one,it should be a very cool well built model when its finished.

#33 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement. They are very much appreciated. I jumped over here from another forum that just didn't get drag racing and I'm glad I did.

This is my last out-of-date post for this project and will bring everything up to where I am with the body.

(July 14)

I separated the front end from the rest of the body by marking a line just ahead of the leading edge of the door and scoring it with the back side of a fresh razor knife. After the cut I added a thin strip of sheet styrene to each edge to replace the lost material and maybe add a bit since the front wheels came in a bit on the short side. I didn’t like the ragged look so I added a shroud of thin styrene to overlap the cut and filled it with thinned putty. To make the connecting joints, I went with a bayonet mount thing with tabs to center the front and a tube and rod setup for joining them. The rods are wire covered with a plastic material from Plastruct and are both strong at a small dimension and flexible. all in all it works pretty well. I have several coats of putty and repeated trips to sanding land done and the car is in primer and ready for the first coats of paint. I’m going with a red and white paint scheme of some sort. Not real firm yet. the white is ready to be sprayed so I’ll do the whole car in it and make my decision from there.

z6om.jpg

g729.jpg

2xqy.jpg

zjux.jpg

See you all soon.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale, 21 July 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#34 brett

brett

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • Full Name:Brett

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

looking good, cant wait to see what paintjob you come up with

#35 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Maybe this with Racing White and Mica Red.

e27f.jpg

Dale

#36 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Full Name:D Ryberg

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

You're going about this as a true craftsman. Looking forward to more.

#37 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

You're going about this as a true craftsman. Looking forward to more.

Thanks for the compliment. I do the best I can. I got through my eye surgery thing yesterday OK and should be back at the bench in a day or two.

I did a final fit of the front end and scoop Monday and the plug wires on the engine were just a bit too big and prevented the hood from setting like I want so I had to pop the distributor and make a new one with thinner wire. Should be able to get it in today or tomorrow depending on my depth of field vision. My left eye es a bit screwed right now.

Dale

#38 Bill Edman

Bill Edman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Edman

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

nice dale

#39 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Things are going well in the paint shop. I have three coats of Racing White on it. It seems a bit dull, so I added two coats of Pure White and will overcoat that with Pearl White. The paint will be two-tone so it will have masking tape on it for a few days while I overspray the white with red. My usual way of doing this is to put a good coat of finishing wax on the body before the tape to keep it from sticking. 

I replaced my pesky distributer with one with smaller wires that will let the carb hat sit low enough for the front end to fit OK. I also glued the front and read wheels and tires in place, so all it's waiting for is the body.

Pics when I have 'em.

Dale

#40 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Very NICE Dale, I think it's gonna be sweet!! :D