Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek

Kaleb

Well, it's tuner time....this time with another wrx

I had a little trouble when I laid down the first coat. Had way too many sandpaper marks. So I went back and wet sanded with 4 different levels up to 2k and here is the sneak peek. No clear yet, just a fresh paint job.

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

This is by far one of my best paint jobs, I'm learning patience with sanding, primer, sand sand sand...and sand some more, no not really. Let me know what you think.

A few questions. Are there any white decals out there for logos like street glow, and others?

Also laying down carbon fiber, should I do a silver base coat, or color base?

Third, I have chrome wheels I want to turn a different color, but as they would have it the chrome will not come off with the purple pond. It just makes it shine even more. So could I just put a primer base then the color of choice? It's automotive primer, not the dollar stuff.

And if none of these work...... go to old faithful, Easy Off oven cleaner. It always works like a charm for me, including removing chrome from plated plastic parts. But use care not to inhale the fumes..... you'll be coughing for a week! Just spray it on (I use the one finger pump type... it goes further than the aerosol spray type) in the bathroom sink, get out of there for about half an hour (hoping no-one needs to use the room!) and when you go back, brush it around with an old toothbrush to loosen the plating or paint, then run it under the hot tap until it's clean. If any residue is still there, repeat the operation. Don't let the stuff get on your fingers though, you may have to regrow your fingerprints... use latex gloves.

Tony