Model Cars Magazine Forum

van builds finished or wip

Can I ask what you built this from? I'm looking to do a Chevy Grumman Step Van and this looks similar, though I suspect it may be all scratch built. It does look fantastic!

Yes, it's scratch built. see here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Repstock/library/Step%20Van?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the kind words!

Edited by Repstock

Did this one back in April. A special thanks to Dwayne for hooking me up with parts that were missing so I could make it almost box stock. And there was another member that pointed me into the right direction the plans but I forgot his name thanks any way. I say almost because it came with one 3 types of sirens that (in my openon) did not look good together, so on Dwayne suggestion I found a 2nd big siren off a cop out on ebay, that had to be modified just a little so they match, then put some post on both so they would fit in the existing wholes.

I moved the hose, prayer, thinging to the back along with the gauge panel and moved the later up. It made more since to me. The back windows didn't come close to fitting so I justified leaving them out with

the thought that all that heat and fumes had to go some where. I dropped the front a scale 3 inch's into the weeds only to find out that was not conceders box stock, whoops. And lastly put a 9 where there was nothing but a whole up front.

DSCF1128_zps9d1fdbef.jpg

DSCF1129_zpsbf7d096b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dscn3742.jpgDSCN4080.jpgDSCN4050.jpg

Ryder_Ford.jpgRepstockCamper35.jpgDSCN3570.jpg

Tom,

Your vans are incredible! I remember you posted the green Ford Econoline in another thread a while ago.

Every last detail down to the spare tire in the back of the Chevy is spot on. I had to go back and look at the pictures a few times to make sure they were models.

BTW, what paint/color(s) did you use on the green Ford Econoline?

Mike.

Did this one back in April. A special thanks to Dwayne for hooking me up with parts that were missing so I could make it almost box stock. And there was another member that pointed me into the right direction the plans but I forgot his name thanks any way. I say almost because it came with one 3 types of sirens that (in my openon) did not look good together, so on Dwayne suggestion I found a 2nd big siren off a cop out on ebay, that had to be modified just a little so they match, then put some post on both so they would fit in the existing wholes.

I moved the hose, prayer, thinging to the back along with the gauge panel and moved the later up. It made more since to me. The back windows didn't come close to fitting so I justified leaving them out with

the thought that all that heat and fumes had to go some where. I dropped the front a scale 3 inch's into the weeds only to find out that was not conceders box stock, whoops. And lastly put a 9 where there was nothing but a whole up front.

DSCF1128_zps9d1fdbef.jpg

DSCF1129_zpsbf7d096b.jpg

This model just has "FUN" written all over it. I am sure it brought you many hours of joy and pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have this one done soon, not entirely happy how its coming , but I plan on building a second one

IMG_0038_zpsd3e005fd.jpg

Jonathan, This is coming out real nice! I never saw one of these kits built with the extension added to the rear.

How many Vantom/Phantom kits did you use to build this?

Edited by crowe-t

Has anyone compared the AMT 'Phantom' to one of the MPC Ford Econoline vans(Sunrunner, Juke Box...)?

The bodies looks very similar. I have an old glue bomb MPC Sunrunner that's falling apart but don't have a Phantom for comparison.

What you going to do with the sunrunner

Bob

Edited by b_lever1

Has anyone compared the AMT 'Phantom' to one of the MPC Ford Econoline vans(Sunrunner, Juke Box...)?

The bodies looks very similar. I have an old glue bomb MPC Sunrunner that's falling apart but don't have a Phantom for comparison.

Michael what are you doing with the sunrunner I'm interest in it if your willing to part with it

Michael what are you doing with the sunrunner I'm interest in it if your willing to part with it

Bob, I'm keeping it. It's a kit I built back when I was a kid and want to tear it down and re-build it.

Edited by crowe-t