#1 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Cook

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

As I mentioned in my intro, I built trucks exclusively from the late '70s to the late '80s. As one popular adage from the internet goes, "show pics, or it never happened", so here's one old project I finished in May 1982 that doesn't require me to rummage far in my scanned image collection. I just had to take the one photo below with three pics in it since my scanner isn't functioning lately.

Basically, an Ertl Great Dane with a reefer engine modified to be a Crown 500, with a kitbash of a Chevy Astro cab and lots of sheet plastic and semi-scratchbuild bits, painted up in blue/silver in my own stripe design, and having a Double-O 92 Detroit Diesel.  The grill material was the chromed plastic stuff in the Revell Custom Parts for Pickups box. Originally, it was supposed to have a whole electric light system in the trailer with fiber optic lines going to all the lights and some means of making the signals flash, high & low beams, on or off fog lights. But, that ended up being way over my head back in 1982. Later when I really needed cash, I sold it to one of the Albuquerque Model Car Club guys, I hope he still has it. It didn't turn out half bad, but it could have been a lot crisper... but what does one expect from a 17 year-old builder?

Attached File  CL-9000 & Great Dane.jpg   106.04KB   4 downloadsAttached File  25th scale Ford CL-9000.jpg   104.52KB   2 downloadsAttached File  ThermoKing Crown 500.jpg   57.32KB   0 downloadsAttached File  25th scale Ford CL-9000 3 pic.JPG   154.86KB   0 downloads

#2 Swamp Dog

Swamp Dog

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Full Name:David Rose

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

good looking Ford..

#3 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

That thing looked great! especially knowing what it was made from and also the builder's age... I wish I had half that at the same age! The CL 9000 is one of my favorites along with the LTL.

#4 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Quality build.  Espically for 1982.  The CL9000 was one truck subject that should have been make in to a kit of at least 1/25th scale.  I hope the guy still has it.

#5 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Very, very, nice!

True that the CL9000 should have been kitted in... 1/25th scale.

One of the great looking COE back then.

#6 towman1271

towman1271

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Full Name:dave odonnell

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Sweet looking ford!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Renegade

Renegade

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Schmalriede

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Great looking rig. I hope it still exists.

#8 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words, all. I've been most negligent in keeping track of all the resin cabs out there, I was thinking somebody has done a 25th scale CL-9000, but folks can correct me if that was never done. If I remember right, I had to fill in the Astro's lower part of the windsheild opening a bit, but for the rest of it, there was just mostly flat surfaces to construct. As with any modeler, I can point to places I'd like to fix on it, such as the headlights and the angled gap on the sides where the cab hinges forward.

The Albq guy I sold it to hasn't responded to my relayed messages to say 'hi' to him via the other Albq guys who drop into Phoenix every April for the Desert Scale Classic.

#9 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Dr James Whalen

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi,

Nice job on the Ford.

KFS here in England did a very nice one of these in resin and would consider a re-run, certain to conditions:

We have been asked if we would be prepared to make a special re-run of any particular kit or transkit that has already been issued for the final time & is now discontinued. The answer to the question is yes, if the 'buyer' is prepared to place a deposit on & subsequently purchase at least 30 of the re-run of 50 kits.

So, if any individual customer, group of modellers, association, club, or company wants a further re-issue of a discontinued transkit please feel free to contact KFS to discuss costs, terms & conditions, & lead time. This applies to kits already discontinued as well as kits still on sale or about to be re-issued that will ultimately be a discontinued item.

Kits already sold out & discontinued for example are;-

Tracked Excavator, Michigan L190 Shovel Loader, Nooteboom 78/04 trailer, White Road Commander II, Scammell Crusader, Scammell Trunker, Seddon Atkinson 401, Scammell S26/Leyland T45, Leyland Marathon, Ford CL9000, Mk2 Atkinson, Scania CP28 Crewcab, Scania R Series P Sleeper, Scania R Series P Daycab, Iveco EuroTech/SA Strato, Foden Alpha, Mack F700 Daycab, ERF ECS, ERF ECT, ERF A Series, ERF E Series, Ford Transcontinental, Bedford KM

#10 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

When Matchbox (AMT) made the CL & LTL 1/32 Snapers kits, back in '79 or '80, surely tought that we would see an AMT 1/25th (Plastic) CL kit for sure, back then... never came :(  

As for KFS resin kit, not bad, but needs patience, remember seeing a builtup on Tim's website a few years back.

#11 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Nice build Russell it's a shame that you had to sell it off when you were tight for a few bucks. I had a friend who I found out had to do the same thing to his GSL people's choices award winning car. As he was on his death bed I was able to close a deal to acquire the car back. I got the information to his family less than an hour before he passed. The car now presides in the museum in Salt Lake City. Just where he wanted.

#12 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

...shame that you had to sell it off when you were tight for a few bucks. I had a friend who I found out had to do the same thing to his GSL people's choices award winning car. ...The car now presides in the museum in Salt Lake City...

A person does what he must do while living on tight budgets. Plus that model occupied quite a bit of space.

I think I heard about the rescued model you speak of since I haven't missed attendance at GSL since 1990 (budget requiring me to stay at the nearby Motel 6 rather than at the contest hotel the last few times) but I forget which model it is.

#13 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

My favorite cabover! You did an awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Now here is a truck that Moebius should make .......... Hey Moebius you listening we all would like to see a CL 9000 cabover Please.

Edited by Mr mopar, 17 July 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#15 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

Hi,

Nice job on the Ford.

KFS here in England did a very nice one of these in resin and would consider a re-run, certain to conditions:

We have been asked if we would be prepared to make a special re-run of any particular kit or transkit that has already been issued for the final time & is now discontinued. The answer to the question is yes, if the 'buyer' is prepared to place a deposit on & subsequently purchase at least 30 of the re-run of 50 kits.

So, if any individual customer, group of modellers, association, club, or company wants a further re-issue of a discontinued transkit please feel free to contact KFS to discuss costs, terms & conditions, & lead time. This applies to kits already discontinued as well as kits still on sale or about to be re-issued that will ultimately be a discontinued item.

Kits already sold out & discontinued for example are;-

Tracked Excavator, Michigan L190 Shovel Loader, Nooteboom 78/04 trailer, White Road Commander II, Scammell Crusader, Scammell Trunker, Seddon Atkinson 401, Scammell S26/Leyland T45, Leyland Marathon, Ford CL9000, Mk2 Atkinson, Scania CP28 Crewcab, Scania R Series P Sleeper, Scania R Series P Daycab, Iveco EuroTech/SA Strato, Foden Alpha, Mack F700 Daycab, ERF ECS, ERF ECT, ERF A Series, ERF E Series, Ford Transcontinental, Bedford KM

Hi Jim sure would love to see KSF bring back his Ford CL9000 ,is there any way to get it out?

#16 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Awesome work, Man.....Excellent....

#17 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

nice build

#18 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Excellent, Russell!   Nice to see your old-timers getting a reprise appearance.    ;)

#19 Old Buckaroo

Old Buckaroo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Davis

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Russel - those are two fine looking builds.  B) 

I am a retired Diesel Mechanic and I love those older trucks.  They had such great paint schemes and lots of shiny stuff on them.

#20 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

And thanks again for the kind words, all. I'll be digging a couple others out of storage later, all from the '80s.