Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient history 25th scale Ford CL-9000 & Great Dane reefer

As I mentioned in my intro, I built trucks exclusively from the late '70s to the late '80s. As one popular adage from the internet goes, "show pics, or it never happened", so here's one old project I finished in May 1982 that doesn't require me to rummage far in my scanned image collection. I just had to take the one photo below with three pics in it since my scanner isn't functioning lately.

Basically, an Ertl Great Dane with a reefer engine modified to be a Crown 500, with a kitbash of a Chevy Astro cab and lots of sheet plastic and semi-scratchbuild bits, painted up in blue/silver in my own stripe design, and having a Double-O 92 Detroit Diesel. The grill material was the chromed plastic stuff in the Revell Custom Parts for Pickups box. Originally, it was supposed to have a whole electric light system in the trailer with fiber optic lines going to all the lights and some means of making the signals flash, high & low beams, on or off fog lights. But, that ended up being way over my head back in 1982. Later when I really needed cash, I sold it to one of the Albuquerque Model Car Club guys, I hope he still has it. It didn't turn out half bad, but it could have been a lot crisper... but what does one expect from a 17 year-old builder?

post-12144-0-51797100-1373930153_thumb.jpost-12144-0-55074100-1373930144_thumb.jpost-12144-0-07902200-1373930132_thumb.jpost-12144-0-82396400-1373930022_thumb.j

Thanks for the kind words, all. I've been most negligent in keeping track of all the resin cabs out there, I was thinking somebody has done a 25th scale CL-9000, but folks can correct me if that was never done. If I remember right, I had to fill in the Astro's lower part of the windsheild opening a bit, but for the rest of it, there was just mostly flat surfaces to construct. As with any modeler, I can point to places I'd like to fix on it, such as the headlights and the angled gap on the sides where the cab hinges forward.

The Albq guy I sold it to hasn't responded to my relayed messages to say 'hi' to him via the other Albq guys who drop into Phoenix every April for the Desert Scale Classic.

Hi,

Nice job on the Ford.

KFS here in England did a very nice one of these in resin and would consider a re-run, certain to conditions:

We have been asked if we would be prepared to make a special re-run of any particular kit or transkit that has already been issued for the final time & is now discontinued. The answer to the question is yes, if the 'buyer' is prepared to place a deposit on & subsequently purchase at least 30 of the re-run of 50 kits.

So, if any individual customer, group of modellers, association, club, or company wants a further re-issue of a discontinued transkit please feel free to contact KFS to discuss costs, terms & conditions, & lead time. This applies to kits already discontinued as well as kits still on sale or about to be re-issued that will ultimately be a discontinued item.

Kits already sold out & discontinued for example are;-

Tracked Excavator, Michigan L190 Shovel Loader, Nooteboom 78/04 trailer, White Road Commander II, Scammell Crusader, Scammell Trunker, Seddon Atkinson 401, Scammell S26/Leyland T45, Leyland Marathon, Ford CL9000, Mk2 Atkinson, Scania CP28 Crewcab, Scania R Series P Sleeper, Scania R Series P Daycab, Iveco EuroTech/SA Strato, Foden Alpha, Mack F700 Daycab, ERF ECS, ERF ECT, ERF A Series, ERF E Series, Ford Transcontinental, Bedford KM

When Matchbox (AMT) made the CL & LTL 1/32 Snapers kits, back in '79 or '80, surely tought that we would see an AMT 1/25th (Plastic) CL kit for sure, back then... never came :(

As for KFS resin kit, not bad, but needs patience, remember seeing a builtup on Tim's website a few years back.

Nice build Russell it's a shame that you had to sell it off when you were tight for a few bucks. I had a friend who I found out had to do the same thing to his GSL people's choices award winning car. As he was on his death bed I was able to close a deal to acquire the car back. I got the information to his family less than an hour before he passed. The car now presides in the museum in Salt Lake City. Just where he wanted.

...shame that you had to sell it off when you were tight for a few bucks. I had a friend who I found out had to do the same thing to his GSL people's choices award winning car. ...The car now presides in the museum in Salt Lake City...

A person does what he must do while living on tight budgets. Plus that model occupied quite a bit of space.

I think I heard about the rescued model you speak of since I haven't missed attendance at GSL since 1990 (budget requiring me to stay at the nearby Motel 6 rather than at the contest hotel the last few times) but I forget which model it is.

Hi,

Nice job on the Ford.

KFS here in England did a very nice one of these in resin and would consider a re-run, certain to conditions:

We have been asked if we would be prepared to make a special re-run of any particular kit or transkit that has already been issued for the final time & is now discontinued. The answer to the question is yes, if the 'buyer' is prepared to place a deposit on & subsequently purchase at least 30 of the re-run of 50 kits.

So, if any individual customer, group of modellers, association, club, or company wants a further re-issue of a discontinued transkit please feel free to contact KFS to discuss costs, terms & conditions, & lead time. This applies to kits already discontinued as well as kits still on sale or about to be re-issued that will ultimately be a discontinued item.

Kits already sold out & discontinued for example are;-

Tracked Excavator, Michigan L190 Shovel Loader, Nooteboom 78/04 trailer, White Road Commander II, Scammell Crusader, Scammell Trunker, Seddon Atkinson 401, Scammell S26/Leyland T45, Leyland Marathon, Ford CL9000, Mk2 Atkinson, Scania CP28 Crewcab, Scania R Series P Sleeper, Scania R Series P Daycab, Iveco EuroTech/SA Strato, Foden Alpha, Mack F700 Daycab, ERF ECS, ERF ECT, ERF A Series, ERF E Series, Ford Transcontinental, Bedford KM

Hi Jim sure would love to see KSF bring back his Ford CL9000 ,is there any way to get it out?

• 5 months later...
...the ChevyTitan/GMC Astro ...gives me some ideas...

The biggest mod was to fill in the bottom edge of the windshield opening. The center section of the bumper was flat plastic sheet, while each end was bare metal foil covered modified ends of the Astro bumpers. All 'eyeball engineered' rather than by using real measurements, so one could perhaps get side & front views of both where you could overlay the printouts and see more accurately where they differ... The bigger chore was using the Astro dash as the basis for the new one, where I used sheet plastic and rather uncooperative cardboard to form the new dash pods. I might be able to dredge up the bottomside photo of the dash later.