Trying to find a new and faster way to dry paint ?

dryer paint uv nail polish

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#21 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Full Name:Don Banes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Now I'm just being silly.  This is a fancy fingernail dryer.  :lol: Attached File  nail dryer.jpg   31.56KB   0 downloads

#22 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Super silly!  Infared paint dryer. 

:lol:

Attached Files

#23 simonr

simonr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

If you don't like the round dehydrator, get the square one.  Maybe add some extra rings for more height. 

81kB4TkRKvL._SL1500_.jpg

The NESCO ones are the best ones around...The have a nice temp adjust knob...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

#24 CJ1971

CJ1971

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:Cliff Caddy

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

What you do is take one or two of the layers and you cut the bottoms out, leaving only the outer "ring." Now you can stack the layers, but you have a deeper (taller) section to fit larger parts.

Oh ok... Easy enough to do. So what is the ideal temperature setting ( in Celcius?) & for how long?? ( mainly acrylic basecoats/ urethane )

Cliff

Edited by CJ1971, 24 July 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#25 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

I think the lowest setting on the average Nesco unit is around 85 degrees, adjustable upwards.  Leave your parts in the unit until you can't smell any paint odor, which is usually only a few hours.

I tend to ramp mine up to about 90 degrees or so.

#26 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,008 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

In my small dehydrator (Nesco), I run about 95-100 degrees for styrene parts and bodies.  I run it about 85 (lowest setting) for resin parts and bodies . . . too much more and resin can get soft.

In my medium dehydrator (kitchen oven), the oven lamp only ~ no heating elements ~ gets the oven interior up to about 90 degrees.

In my giant dehydrator (outdoors), it runs about 80-95 in the winter, 100-115 :o  in the summer.  

#27 chev12olet

chev12olet

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Full Name:jason M Shipley

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

You so funny
Square wheel and the round wheel we must move on bro like, well everything cant be slow..... I like to go FAST and a dehydrator is square, slow and outdated for my uses. That's why I asked my question man not for stupid responses lkke some.

#28 CJ1971

CJ1971

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:Cliff Caddy

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think the lowest setting on the average Nesco unit is around 85 degrees, adjustable upwards.  Leave your parts in the unit until you can't smell any paint odor, which is usually only a few hours.

I tend to ramp mine up to about 90 degrees or so.

#29 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,682 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

You so funny
Square wheel and the round wheel we must move on bro like, well everything cant be slow..... I like to go FAST and a dehydrator is square, slow and outdated for my uses. That's why I asked my question man not for stupid responses lkke some.

Sorry if my response was "stupid"... I guess I need to try harder. :rolleyes: 

I'm all for newer, better technology. But when you have something that is simple, foolproof, works perfectly, and is cheap and easily available on top of it... why try to "do better?"

#30 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Oops!  95 degrees is the lowest setting, which is plenty warm enough.  Here's what mine looks like with some rings added for height.  Also a peek at the inside...

Attached Files

#31 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Luddite tendencies aside, now you understand why I shoot film. :P :lol:

As to the main topic, if I want to spend things up or if it's humid, I use a hair-dryer. I don't have the space for a dehydrator right now, but it's on my get list once I have the space and money.

Charlie Larkin

#32 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm all for newer, better technology. But when you have something that is simple, foolproof, works perfectly, and is cheap and easily available on top of it... why try to "do better?"

Amen.

Charlie Larkin

#33 chev12olet

chev12olet

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Full Name:jason M Shipley

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Sorry if my response was "stupid"... I guess I need to try harder. :rolleyes: 

Because that's human nature! Bigger is better advancement in technology is always better.That's why we are the #1 species man.

#34 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

After I started using Donn Yost's method of cutting my enamels with cheap lacquer thinner (which brings down the drying time considerably to about 3 days), I feel like that's pretty fast.  The other tip I picked up from the OLD MAN is simply to paint a sequence of bodies at the same time and then you will have plenty of models stored away for a rainy day.

I also have  dehydrator but lately I have not used it.  I have a metal cabinet where I put all the painted models to dry over a period of 3 days, then the fun of sanding and buffing and polishing begins.

I find that if I work only one model at a time, I stress out and tend to become extra/ultra impatient.

#35 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I find that if I work only one model at a time, I stress out and tend to become extra/ultra impatient.

I think there's a lot of truth in that, Doc. That's why so many of us tend to have a whole bunch of projects going at once, the impatience and resulting frustrations (or vice-versa) need to be contained or all your work will suffer.

Charlie Larkin