#41 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Leave it in the solution for as long as it takes, it will not attack the plastic. I've done it on bare plastic and left it in there for a week just for testing purposes and it was okay....

Edited by cruz, 31 July 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#42 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell S. Peoples

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Cruz: I checked out your link and it's well documented and photograped. I'm hesitant when it comes to the sanding (especially repeatedly) and the polishing as it removes the very thing I'm trying to apply (paint). Like you've said, I have a practice body now that I can use to develop skills on. I'll be checking on the body parts in the Dawn slurry later this morning to see how things are progressing or if I've created some kind of "toxic avenger" in the ooze...  :o  

#43 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

Cruz: Hey, I changed my mind - can you help me build one like this? (I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting a link here).  http://www.automotiv...d.php?t=1050294

#44 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hey gang:  The Dawn dissolved (literrally) and I scrubbed everything out with soap and water.  I found a big container of that Purple stuff and that's where the parts are now.  The old parts body is 75% and the newer one for the build is 80%.  Should I keep on soaking another 1-2 days or pull them now?  I've picked up a pack of 150, 200, 400, 600, 1000, 2000, 4000, 5000 and 6000 grit sandpapers, so would this be a good time to fight through the remaining enamel and start making some headway?

BTW, call me "poor man's" modeller, but I took some of my wife's "arts & crafts" thin wound hemp, painted it silver, let it harden, then measured and cut it into lengths for my original Vega F/C I built this winter. Now both cars have wires and the Nova will get a light fuel line treatment. Boy, it's way easier to detail before installation!!!! :blink:

#45 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Johnson

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Cruz, all I can say is wow!  Thanks for that information! Glad I was able to find this info before I started my base coat, into the "purple pond" and back to square one.  Thanks again for taking the time to explain that all!  Kevin