#41 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I have been looking closely at some reference pictures of the 1:1 Galaxie. The picture below shows that there is a body coloured panel in between the grill and the bumper...

s39d.jpg

(Interestingly - the picture above shows the Galaxie with a clear lens covering the entire vertical headlamp stack. This is the only time I have seen this on a 65 Galaxie. It is not present on any other reference pictures I've found on the net. Maybe this is a special model?

Below is the kit's front chrome with the grill and bumper moulded as one.

dy6f.jpg

Very (I mean very) carefully I was able to cut the bumper off without scuffing the chrome. This took about a hundred passes with the No11 Xacto blade. The kit chrome is not perfect to begin with so I still may have to re-chrome these parts.

h208.jpg

Below, you can see the new body panel made from flat sheet to fit in between the bumper and grill.

sww7.jpg

There is a similar body coloured panel on the rear bumper...

6og2.jpg

In the pic below you can see that I have added this panel. You can also see the body modifications made around the inner boot opening.

r9sw.jpg

With the body nearing paint stage, I've turned my attention back to the motor. I really like the idea of one of these...

jw66.jpg

It's a Sonny's 727. With a name like mine - what would you expect! I believe its based on a Ford so it would be perfect.

The closest in1/25 scale I can see is a Ross Gibson 815, but I'm not sure if this would be a good starting point. I'm not afraid of scratch building a few bits, but I am at a bit of a loss about which Ross Gibson engine is which. The pic below shows Boss valve covers...

0se6.jpg

...and this pic shows what looks like Sonny's valve covers. I'd be grateful if anyone here knows what Ross Gibson engine part number I need. I don't want to order, wait 2 weeks (that's at least how long it'll take to deliver to the UK) and find I got the wrong one.

vybh.jpg

Edited by beeRS, 27 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#42 66belair

66belair

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Your work is amazing! I built this kit as a kid also,the Crusin USA version. The corrections you are making are unbelievable. I also owned a 1:1 in the same color as the one in the pic of the tailight. Keep up the awesome work,can't wait to see this one done.

#43 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

no the sonny are chevy base you mite need the rge312 that's a boss base big block ford 812 hemi ford

#44 Ford guy

Ford guy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Roy Snyder

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Sonny, the red Galaxie with the clear headlight covers is a special model. It's called the 7 Litre, because it has the 427 (7 liter) engine. It's the only model Ford to have these covers. Kind or a sports/luxury car. In '66 they used 428's.   Check this out.......http://www.7litre.org/........to learn more.

Awesome build by the way!  I love what you've done with the bumpers.

#45 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Sonny, the red Galaxie with the clear headlight covers is a special model. It's called the 7 Litre, because it has the 427 (7 liter) engine. It's the only model Ford to have these covers. Kind or a sports/luxury car. In '66 they used 428's.   Check this out.......http://www.7litre.org/........to learn more.

Awesome build by the way!  I love what you've done with the bumpers.

Thanks Roy. That's really useful information and a really good website for info.

#46 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

Sonny, why not just buy the recently reissued Revell '55 Jukebox Ford for your base engine? It has the same (maybe not exact. I can check my kit) valve covers as the real engine in your photo. The kit will be cheaper than a Gibson engine. Plus, you'll have a whole pro sportsman '55 Ford body and chassis left over. May be something to consider.

#47 bisc63

bisc63

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Full Name:Rusty Shackleford

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Beautiful work. I love your attention to detail. Adding the filler panels between bumpers and body is an especially nice bit, and will go a long way towards giving your car that REAL look. More models, especially older kits, can benefit from that touch. Good job!!

#48 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Sonny, why not just buy the recently reissued Revell '55 Jukebox Ford for your base engine? It has the same (maybe not exact. I can check my kit) valve covers as the real engine in your photo. The kit will be cheaper than a Gibson engine. Plus, you'll have a whole pro sportsman '55 Ford body and chassis left over. May be something to consider.

Thanks Roger, but I thought the entire underpinnings of the Revell 55 Ford Jukebox was the same as Revell's pro sportsman '57 Chevy. I have the 57 Chevy, but not 55 Ford. I would be grateful if you could check for me and if the engine is different It will certainly make a lot of sense. 

#49 knarf

knarf

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Full Name:frank russell matrau jr

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Whoa. Courageous.

2nd that :o

#50 bisc63

bisc63

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Full Name:Rusty Shackleford

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Any progress on this?!

#51 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Roger, but I thought the entire underpinnings of the Revell 55 Ford Jukebox was the same as Revell's pro sportsman '57 Chevy. I have the 57 Chevy, but not 55 Ford. I would be grateful if you could check for me and if the engine is different It will certainly make a lot of sense. 

The chassis' are the same. The engines are different. The engine in the Jukebox is a 698 c.i. Boss. It doesn't have the heads like the Sonny's engine in the photo above. This kit came out in '92. So, the engine is a little dated compared to today's engines.  

#52 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Can I incorporate some of your modifications on my next convertible?

#53 Bill Edman

Bill Edman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Edman

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

nice build

#54 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Any progress on this?!

Yep - work is progressing, but very slowly. I will post some more pic's soon.

#55 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

The chassis' are the same. The engines are different. The engine in the Jukebox is a 698 c.i. Boss. It doesn't have the heads like the Sonny's engine in the photo above. This kit came out in '92. So, the engine is a little dated compared to today's engines.  

Thanks for that info Roger. I'll have to get my hands on this kit.

#56 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Can I incorporate some of your modifications on my next convertible?

Ronald; I would be honoured if you, or anyone else used any of the mod's that I've carried out. Good luck with your convertible project.

#57 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

A coat of grey primer reveals that the floor is going to take a lot more work to look right.

3glb.jpg

8eob.jpg

r6zh.jpg

h6hn.jpg

Finally, I have sourced an engine! I'll be using a 429 Boss motor from Monogram's '70 Boss Mustang kit. It's actually a 1/24 scale kit. At first I was not too keen on this idea, but after checking a few measurement I felt that it would be OK. I wanted the 'big' V8 look for the Galaxie and this is certainly achieves that.

It's a 429, but I'm happy to call it a 520 Cu In. I believe that the outer dimension of both engines would be identical ??

vl8i.jpg

The kit engine is 'OK', but it lacks the super-detail I would have had from a Ross Gibson engine. Never mind - I will just have to get busy scratch building details myself.

qzgf.jpg

First job was to cut away the moulded-in sump. The engine is to be set further back in the engine bay than the original, and so the front drop on the sump was no good. Anyway, I want to build a race style fabricated sump for this engine. 

hzq5.jpg

Above you can see the engine offered up in place with the beginnings of my scratch build engine mounts. The plates that bolt to the block were created first, then 'tack glued' to the block.

kevj.jpg

So that I can adjust the lengths of the mounts I have drilled right through the X-member and used extra long styrene rods to meet up with the mounting plates on the block. In the pic above you can see the engine temporarily held in place with a blob of Blu-Tac whilst the glue sets.

You can also see that the hollow internals of the engine have been filled with a lump of putty. This adds a little extra weight (I like a weighty feel to my models - in moderation).

71z5.jpg

#58 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Now it's time to  get the firewall sorted. For a while I was considering keeping it smooth with no details except for the brake servo, but after finding some good reference pics I have decided to scratch build a stock firewall. The one supplied with the kit is not accurate and had big holes for the bonnet (sorry 'hood') hinges - which I won't be using. It also has gaps where it meets the kits inner fenders (which I won't be using either!).

34m4.jpg

To achieve the oddly shaped panel I have had to cut my smooth firewall down. I've added the spot-weld flange using the thinnest styrene sheet I have.

In the pic below you can also see the engine mounts completed. The excess rod length has been cut away.

60ub.jpg

I've added the top part of the firewall back, but this time with a curve.

hlcq.jpg

From this angle (see the pic below) you can see the curve better. It now matches the curve of the back edge of the hood opening - as on the 1:1 car.

uccl.jpg

I found this pic of a Boss 520 with throttle body fuel injection and I think this is the kind of look I NEED :D .

jchn.jpg

To achieve this I've searched my parts box and come up with the 8 air horns (I have no idea which kit they originally came from). I've also found a twin carb high-rise manifold which can be cut down for the job.

bq3a.jpg

kbni.jpg

And here's the lot just mocked up in place. At the moment I don't know whether to replicate a mechanical injection system (like a Hilborn set-up) or a more modern throttle body set up.

1vye.jpg

In this picture you can also see how the curve of the top of the fire-wall now matches the back edge of the hood opening (or at least better than before!).

lurj.jpg

The manifold is a perfect fit in the Boss engine. Again, I have no idea where this part originally came from (after 30+ years of building model cars and never throwing anything away I've accumulated a mountain of spares and extras).

Of course, now I will need to cut the hood. This was never part of the original plan but Its something that can't be avoided now  :angry: .

#59 66belair

66belair

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

Your detail work is amazing,I've never seen this much detail correction made to this kit. I can't wait to see more, the 65 Ford is my favorite.

#60 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Excellent mods and work.  We'll keep following this one closely.