#61 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

The engine is looking good in there Sonny! Great idea on the fuel injection. I'm pretty sure the intake was an optional intake that came with that kit engine or it could be from the '69 Shelby GT 500. I would go with a modern throttle body/fuel rail system for the injection. Maybe modify the valve covers a little? If you do go the modern route, you might consider adding coil packs for the ignition also. I gave an old Hemi the modern treatment on my last build with a Viper styled intake and coil packs. Looked pretty decent when I got it done. If you would like to see a photo of the engine, let me know and I'll post it up.  

#62 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

Nice work so far!  What about getting a resin t-bolt teardrop hood?  Although looking ant what you've done so far, I imagine making something will be a breeze for you.

#63 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

Wow! ...just...  Wow!

David G.

#64 HondaSan72

HondaSan72

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Dominguez

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Fantastic work so far!! KUTGW!!

#65 geordie

geordie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Full Name:David Stout

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Very nice workmanship, an inspiration to all us folks who live vicariously off these builds.

#66 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Awesome. 

#67 knarf

knarf

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Full Name:frank russell matrau jr

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

The engine is looking good in there Sonny! Great idea on the fuel injection. I'm pretty sure the intake was an optional intake that came with that kit engine or it could be from the '69 Shelby GT 500. I would go with a modern throttle body/fuel rail system for the injection. Maybe modify the valve covers a little? If you do go the modern route, you might consider adding coil packs for the ignition also. I gave an old Hemi the modern treatment on my last build with a Viper styled intake and coil packs. Looked pretty decent when I got it done. If you would like to see a photo of the engine, let me know and I'll post it up.  

i would like to see that photo ^_^

#68 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the ideas Roger. I would love to see that treatment on the Hemi - please post a pic :) .

#69 james460

james460

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

use the cammer out of the 66 or one of the AMT reissue Funny Cars

#70 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Here you go Sonny. It still needs a few more details. But, those will have to come later.

015_zps8544d480.jpg

The intake and coil packs are from the Duster kit. I had to modify the intake a little to get it to fit the Hemi. I sanded the valve covers smooth and then cut the grooves in with a razor saw.

#71 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

Looking pretty good

#72 geemoney

geemoney

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Full Name:mike nequette

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Now it's time to  get the firewall sorted. For a while I was considering keeping it smooth with no details except for the brake servo, but after finding some good reference pics I have decided to scratch build a stock firewall. The one supplied with the kit is not accurate and had big holes for the bonnet (sorry 'hood') hinges - which I won't be using. It also has gaps where it meets the kits inner fenders (which I won't be using either!).

34m4.jpg

To achieve the oddly shaped panel I have had to cut my smooth firewall down. I've added the spot-weld flange using the thinnest styrene sheet I have.

In the pic below you can also see the engine mounts completed. The excess rod length has been cut away.

60ub.jpg

I've added the top part of the firewall back, but this time with a curve.

hlcq.jpg

From this angle (see the pic below) you can see the curve better. It now matches the curve of the back edge of the hood opening - as on the 1:1 car.

uccl.jpg

I found this pic of a Boss 520 with throttle body fuel injection and I think this is the kind of look I NEED :D .

jchn.jpg

To achieve this I've searched my parts box and come up with the 8 air horns (I have no idea which kit they originally came from). I've also found a twin carb high-rise manifold which can be cut down for the job.

bq3a.jpg

kbni.jpg

And here's the lot just mocked up in place. At the moment I don't know whether to replicate a mechanical injection system (like a Hilborn set-up) or a more modern throttle body set up.

1vye.jpg

In this picture you can also see how the curve of the top of the fire-wall now matches the back edge of the hood opening (or at least better than before!).

lurj.jpg

The manifold is a perfect fit in the Boss engine. Again, I have no idea where this part originally came from (after 30+ years of building model cars and never throwing anything away I've accumulated a mountain of spares and extras).

Of course, now I will need to cut the hood. This was never part of the original plan but Its something that can't be avoided now  :angry: .

that intake might be from AMT's boss 429 pinto funny car

#73 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

With the engine in place the bonnet will not fit - so after trialling about a 100 different bonnet scoops (sorry - I mean 'hood' scoop) and bulges from my spare parts box I found this. It's from AMT's 66 Nova. It was an optional part that I did not use when I built the Nova about 20 years ago.

ymtv.jpg

From all the pencil marks on the hood you can see the fun and games I had trying to figure out which scoop was going to be best.

rv0a.jpg

The only problem with the Nova scoop is that it is dead straight and the Galaxie hood has a subtle curve...

3xcr.jpg

So, a quick dip in a pan of boiling water and a gentle bit of shaping got the shape just right.

ekru.jpg

It's a very slight curve, but its all it takes to make it a perfect fit.

6v86.jpg

Above; with an appropriately sized hole cut in the hood. I've stripped the silver paint off the air 'trumpets' so they look a mess right now.

ird9.jpg

And here's the hood scoop finally glued in place. There's still some work to do here as I want the scoop to look like it is moulded as part of the hood.

ywzz.jpg

The underside of the hood is looking pretty bad now. The plan is to make this part look like it is a one-piece glass fibre hood so most of the under-hood structure must go.

4uty.jpg

And here it is after an hour of sanding.

#74 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Now its time for me to sort the trunk lid out.

yvxq.jpg

Above is a pic of the trunk lid as it comes out of the box. As with most plastic kits I think it far too thick.

31s8.jpg

I wonder if AMT could have put the ejector pins in a worse place!

2l6e.jpg

Here's a pic of the 1:1 trunk, so the challenge I have is to make the kit part look more like this.

fh0m.jpg

So here it is after another hours worth of sanding/cutting/grinding... It's not quite as '3D' as the 1:1 trunk, but its slightly better (I think!).

5iey.jpg

Now I have to replicate the trunk hinges. Of course the kit parts won't do so I'm starting from scratch.

5p59.jpg

The pic above is from a 1:1 car. You can see the 'U' shape channel that I need to replicate.

8kpd.jpg

I will never be able to make a true scale hinge from plastic as it won't be strong enough to do the job. My effort is slightly oversized, but at least it will look a little more like the 1:1 hinge. In the pic above you can see three different profiles that I have trialled.

1tly.jpg

With this trial hinge tack glued to the trunk lid, I can test that the hinge will work properly.

i0gs.jpg

This is my favourite way of cutting identical shaped pieces. You can see that I am actually cutting 5 pieces here. I will need two per hinge and I'm cutting one extra just in case I mess one up. The two holes are so that I pin the 5 pieces together and keep them perfectly aligned with one another.

04qz.jpg

Five identical pieces!

#75 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

The excess holes in the hinge pieces are being filled with a little stretched sprue.

94us.jpg

I've glued them into the holes and then cut them flush once the glue is set.

0r4p.jpg

Here are the two completed trunk hinges.

u67k.jpg

And here they are glued to the trunk. The long pin helps me to make sure that both hinges are perfectly aligned with each other.

k0ya.jpg

These are the pieces that will anchor the hinge to the body.

no0a.jpg

This is the final hinge assembly in place. The trunk can easily be removed by sliding the pins out.

lj12.jpg

Once the glue is set I can try the hinge out and I'm glad to say it works! I've made many hinges in a similar way to this and they don't always work. The worst part is that you never know till the whole lot is assembled.

j5of.jpg

I'm switching from grey primer to white. This is just what I call a 'checking' coat. I get everything the same colour to make sure I can properly see that the shape is right and I can pick out the flaws.

jt66.jpg

hb62.jpg

rn4y.jpg

There's so much work left to do on this one. It's great to see all the encouraging comments you guys make on this forum - its good for keeping up the enthusiasm and staying motivated.

#76 Terminator-Fox

Terminator-Fox

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Smiley

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Fantastic work!

#77 bisc63

bisc63

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Rusty Shackleford

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Been watching this thread since day 1, and this is beautiful attention to detail!

Just a thought on your hinges; if you thin the trailing edges of the plastic, it will do alot to lighten them visually. Just file a light taper from front to back, removing nothing at the front, and maybe 2/3 of the thickness at the rear edge. Big change in appearance, and shouldn't affect their strength.

#78 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,205 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Awsume progress. love the engine and intake...

#79 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Ahart

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Truely amazing to watch this build, I am in awe of your creative abilities sir. :o

#80 Alan

Alan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

This is killer work,, LOVE the trunk hinges, best I have ever seen!!