#21 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi Robert,the painting is very successful.J've noticed a small detail on cab.The wippers are molded to the cab of the kit,it removes realistic according me.J know it's too late for modify.Me remove them and made in styrenne.I like what I see.

Alain

Thanks for pointing this out Alain. Unfortunately you're right, it is a bit late to fix this. But rest assured, next build is going to be even better than this one... I have a whole lot of photo etch parts in my bin, just not for this one...

#22 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Looking great! I've got the BJ and The Bear set... I'll be using just the stripes out of it for mine... I went with Testors Sapphire Blue in the little 1/4 oz. bottle and Testors Steel with a dark insignia blue frame... I started it last week. Great minds DO think alike, Robert! If our trucks don't look like brothers, they'll definitely be cousins... ;^)

Really! That's pretty cool! Actually I can,t wait to see mine finished, so I can't wait to also see yours too! have fun building it! Just watch those pesky intake and exhaust lines crossing themselves!!

#23 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Looks pretty awesome, Man....Pretty awesome....

#24 jacobus

jacobus

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:jacobus a vd kemp

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

its looks very very nice

i like the the colors and the wheels

tyres i have seen from a&n and yes , the are very nice

and the pe work you have need very little fingers [ tweezer work ]

follow this clean build

jacobus

#25 ewaskew

ewaskew

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Full Name:Earl Miller

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Very good looking KW 

Did you spray some clear on after you taped it off before you sprayed your paint for the two tone?

If not on the next one you can do that before painting the second color and it helps prevent bleeding on to the other color.

#26 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Just watch those pesky intake and exhaust lines crossing themselves!!

And that, my friend, is why I'm using your pics as reference... ;^)

#27 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Well Alclad II claer coat doesn't mix well with Tamiya paint or the Modeltruckin' decals... I'm at the first coat, and the decals cracked and the paint turned blotchy. I had second thoughts on spraying a clear coat over this before doing it. Stay tuned for the second coat... :angry:

#28 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

That's no good... I hope you can get it sorted out.

#29 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

So, like I said, the cab is painted, decaled and cleared. The first coat was looking disastrous, I still went on with a second wet coat, left it to dry overnight. So the paint came back to be decent looking but the colors of the decals aren't much to look at anymore because of the cracking. The cracks won't show much in the pictures but they are very apparent up close. The cab looks ok, but it won't be doing any competition in shows. I'm considering buying another cab, paint it all white and apply some other blue and gold decals from Jbots. Then compare both and install the better one on this frame. Too bad, I really like the paint scheme on this version. Anyway, have a look, I think you'll still enjoy the pictures. If you can blow up the pictures you will be able to see the cracks in the black stripes.

7vgk.jpg

h4zc.jpg

uo87.jpg

The angle I like best

0bkz.jpg
Rear flaps are printed paper from a computer file, then clear coated and painted on the other side to give them some protection and some thickness for realism. I probably should have painted the black and then white so light wouldn't go through them... Maybe next time.

dfag.jpg

Looks pretty decent in this view:

py3p.jpg

The diamond plate is there for mock-up, the hose support is not installed yet and I'm also planning a spare tire carrier right behind the exhaust brackets.

62hh.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by BigBad, 01 August 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#30 Brinx

Brinx

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Brinx

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

That is one nice looking K!

#31 jacobus

jacobus

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:jacobus a vd kemp

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

robert its not possible to remove the striping whit out damage

color is very nice

its sad for this nice work

jacobus

#32 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I love it! Reminds me of the one my Dad use to drive when i was a kid

#33 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

It is very nice build indeed. I like the job you have done so far. The painting looks top class and no problem with the cracked decals in those pics. I like the scheme too. It is a good idea to paint the mud flaps black first. Make sure to do that next time. Keep on the good work.

#34 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Very nice-looking truck. The white with blue stripes is a beautiful combination.

Charlie Larkin

#35 Q tip

Q tip

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Full Name:John A Shelton

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

sweet ride, are you going to use grab handle and steps from the aerodyne kit? cant wait to see it finished!

#36 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Looks really nice.

#37 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

That's a cool looking build. I use to drive one many years ago.

#38 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

sweet ride, are you going to use grab handle and steps from the aerodyne kit? cant wait to see it finished!

Actually I'll be using the parts from the Revell Aerodyne for patterns to make grab handles from aluminum rod, stay tuned for that...

#39 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

A little more stuff has been done to this machine. I got my fuel tanks and they look great! They're installed on the truck on the kit's brackets. Had I decided on these tanks before starting the kit, I would have used the white metal brackets supplied with the tanks as they are vastly better... I'll use them with a 4 strap tank later on an other project... ;) I stole 1/2 fenders from a revell Peterbilt "353" kit. and installed them too. the back-up light and tail lights are on the back of the frame as well. I added a spare Wheel carrier as the the real truck had one at the time. It's a little out of scale as the material I used was a little thick, I didn't have enough scrap photo etch material to buils a thinner rack... I think it's still ok as is.  I am presently fiddling with the interior... I had to grind the bottom of the dog house in front to clear the radiator tank that I also ground down a bit for the same reason. The glass and the interior bucket are now installed in the cab and fitting ok. Next time, the cab will be installed and detailing will have started. Now some pics...

Here are the the new added parts: great looking aluminum fuel tanks, half fenders, spare wheel carrier...

qhnc.jpg

Also the "hose tenna" not complete I need to put the hoses on.

rlaz.jpg

A better view of the spare carrier. I used a spare Italeri tire along with two rim backings glued together to make the... Well, rim...

w9tl.jpg

A nice view of one of those tanks... These come from MCA truck parts. They are polished and come complete with cast white metal brackets, black and chrome tape for the straps and a machined aluminum filler cap. As you have probably noticed, the finish at the ends is as machined and is flawless. I used CA glue to stick these on the brackets. Yes it did fog up the metal surface, but to my surprise, wiped off pretty easily, maybe because of the high polish.

ggfi.jpg

A view to show the machined end and the filler cap. A nice touch. MCA specializes in aluminum and metal parts for 1:24 and 1:25 scales and also the Tamiya 1:14 radio controlled trucks. Michael makes exhaust stands, fuel tanks, disc and spoke wheels, curved exhaust stack end stands, air horns... Lots of excellent stuff.

s50e.jpg

Edited by BigBad, 06 August 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#40 marcay

marcay

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:thierry Stoker

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

it's look superbe Robert
I restart My Revell W900 and I shall inspire on your Work
I'll try to make a classic daycab based on the Revell dumptruck whitout dump but a little tuning like personal exhaust
Thierry