#41 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

The chassis looks really great in the sun. Really nice to look at.

#42 ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Full Name:Richard C Mark

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Fantastic classic !  looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Ap40

#43 flat-top

flat-top

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Bettencourt

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Very nice. great job on the K W .

#44 ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

See below....

Attached Files

Edited by ap40rocktruck, 06 August 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#45 ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Attached is a photo of a resin cast pair of cab mounts for this kit, but these mount to the underside of the interior bucket so that the cab will tilt correctly & the end result is much stronger than the kits tiny originals which we all know are horrible to work with.

Ap40

#46 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Attached is a photo of a resin cast pair of cab mounts for this kit, but these mount to the underside of the interior bucket so that the cab will tilt correctly & the end result is much stronger than the kits tiny originals which we all know are horrible to work with.

Ap40

Soooo right! The Revell K100 has a similar arrangement to what you're showing. I agree that it would look a lot better and be sturdier at the same time. I have got a lot of aftermarket stuff on this one and honestly, I think it's enough already for this one. AMT did a decent job with this truck, but they could have engineered some more locator pins and holes here and there, especially with the cab components... Man is this dashboard a pain to get aligned properly with the windshield. They could have put a more positive way to locate this on the interior tub. But then again, this one went pretty well for the majority of the build.

#47 ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Soooo right! The Revell K100 has a similar arrangement to what you're showing. I agree that it would look a lot better and be sturdier at the same time. I have got a lot of aftermarket stuff on this one and honestly, I think it's enough already for this one. AMT did a decent job with this truck, but they could have engineered some more locator pins and holes here and there, especially with the cab components... Man is this dashboard a pain to get aligned properly with the windshield. They could have put a more positive way to locate this on the interior tub. But then again, this one went pretty well for the majority of the build.

I cast these as I have more of the AMT Aerodyne kits than the RoG.  LOL

As for the rest of the old K-100 kit, it was a fantastic kit when it was new on the shelves, and now with a little bit of work it can be a great kit of today, just as you have done here.  Great look all around.

Ap40 

#48 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Alright! The cab is installed, door surrounds sleeper vent and wiper arms BMF'ed, front bumper, front cab handles, rear view mirrors, clearance lights, door handles MCA aluminum air horns, photo etch Kenworth nametags, sun visor... Still have some other details to add though, the grab handles are mostly complete except for the mounting brackets. I was aiming at making a 1976 truck, so I got rid of the upper door handles and changed the grab handles for long dual ones with integrated steps. I used door handles from a generic photo etch tree. I they look wrong, not the right shape and they're too wide. but that's the closest I could get with what I had. The trailer connections are not on yet. I'll add some license and other detail decals. I'm on the last stretch. Here are some pictures to show:

Here is a view showing the very nice MCA horns, one peice plus the stands, no parting lines! Available with bug covers or open :

05g2.jpg

In this build I used a lot of custom parts made of metal, resin and photo etch. I'm very happy with them, they are of very high quality and set off the model nicely. It's my first experience with photo etch and I will be using custom parts for all my next builds.

un6e.jpg

mn1p.jpg

In this view you can clearly see the cracks in the decal stripes that happened with the clearcoat application... You can also see I used the gullwing bumper from the Revell snap Aerodyne Kenworth W900.

u3q0.jpg

In this view, you can clearly see that the door handle is wrong... The Kenworth name tag is very nice though. Overall still looking pretty good in spite of the little defects here and there. Not show material in my opinion, but I like it and it will fit nicely in my collection.

yh3v.jpg

Edited by BigBad, 07 August 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#49 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

I cast these as I have more of the AMT Aerodyne kits than the RoG.  LOL

As for the rest of the old K-100 kit, it was a fantastic kit when it was new on the shelves, and now with a little bit of work it can be a great kit of today, just as you have done here.  Great look all around.

Ap40 

Thanks for the tips and also for the compliments Richard and all my forum friends, it's appreciated!

#50 KJ790

KJ790

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Full Name:KJ Humphreys

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

That looks great! how did you get the red in the KW logo on the grille?

#51 mackd

mackd

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Full Name:alain bradet

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Robert the results are very nice,l like the look he has the colors and the bands I liked .Chides thy driver the chain after the bar muffleurs is poorly attached. :D

#52 borz666

borz666

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Chris

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

That looks superb! I want to get in and drive it away.

#53 ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Great looking finished rig.  Color, detail, spokes on the rears.  Knocked it out of the park.  I would suggest removing the chain from the top bar of the exhaust bracket thou, as it might fall & snag in the drive line or at the very least rub the paint of the back of the cab!

Ap40

#54 Swamp Dog

Swamp Dog

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Full Name:David Rose

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

great looking rig..

#55 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Very nice build.Always liked the older trucks

#56 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Looking really great.  Very 1970s.

#57 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Nice.

#58 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

This is a very impressive looking truck!  Excellent work.

#59 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

That looks great! how did you get the red in the KW logo on the grille?

Tamiya clear red, then wiped from the top of the logo. Easy!

#60 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Full Name:Dr James Whalen

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hi,

Nice build of a classic kit.  Some of the bits you've used I have been thinking about putting on a couple of Kenworths I have waiting to be built so it was great to see that they have really enhanced your build. 

Shame about the stripes - model building sure can be very frustrating.  It is to your credit that you carried on and have come up with a sharp rendition of a classic truck that I remember seeing lots of when I lived in New Brunswick in the 70's.