#21 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for sharing that Jürgen. I will definitely try this on a future build.

#22 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Jürgen Kowalski

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Three minor additions:

1. In V.2. I mentioned a stopgap for the case that you cannot obtain the larger of the two telescoping plastic tubes, but then I forgot to tell what it is. Remember that you need this larger tube only for making the green "support (large diameter)" on the drawing. You can substitute it by vertical pieces of plastic glued down to form a circle. This will be sufficient to hold the spoke ring in the jig.
  2. You may find it useful to choose a different lacing order. I usually prefer to stretch the wire not to the scrap wire exactly opposite. Instead I go f. e. from #1 to let's say # 15 or #17     (and not to opposite #13). This has two advantages: The lacing wire grips the hub unit  firmly and the tendency of the lacing wire to slip from the hub ring while lacing is eliminated.
  3. Your wire wheel looks much more realistic if you give the hub (= the small metal tube) at the end of the inner side a considerably larger outside diameter. By this the pattern of the 48 inside spokes will become clearly different from the pattern of the 24 outside spokes. Simply glue on any fitting ring before lacing.

#23 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

Wow...very stunning!!!

Thank you for sharing!

#24 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Excellent. This question comes up often enough that I think it should be a pinned topic.

#25 b_lever1

b_lever1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Full Name:bob leverington

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

This is the best thing I've seen in awhile I have wanted to make a set of these for along time  now I have a way to make these have to do some and show them off to my boss he is a big tecky and really thinks my models are neat will tell him about this and that is was found online. Not that smart I do not like taking credit for someones ideas

Going to try this shortly guys post your results

#26 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Probably you have noticed this topic by member Curt Raitz

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=81345

Curt re-discovered this old topic started in 2007 by member Yad'  who left the forum obviously in 2008 http://www.modelcars...els#entry808443 His topic is about his technique of making wire wheels. Curt adopted Yad's technique with marginal modifications in his own a. m. topic.

This re-discovered technique is very similar to my obsolete technique described in the 1984 article of a German modeling magazine (depicted at the beginning of this topic). The results of my obsolete technique and Yad's technique are identical.

I did not explain my obsolete technique because though very simple its results are no match to my modern technique. As said:"When using the obsolete technique the spokes are applied directly to the plastic wheel halves. This technique is okay for very narrow rims as bikes, motor-cycles and and very few vintage cars, where all spokes are fixed very close to the centerline of the rim well , but on all other cars this looks completely unrealistic".

Now thanks to Curt you can compare the results of my simple obsolete and my present technique. Because Curt adopted Yad's technique without changing anything essential I recommend to choose the original link of the former member Yad' and Curt's link as well .

Here are some more pictures of wheels made with my present technique.

I think the additional effort of the present technique pays off.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=78461
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=80009
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=81255
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=81024 (scroll down for a second car)

#27 curt raitz

curt raitz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Jurgen

I didn't know "diddely squat" about wire wheels until I started to make'm myself.

I got tired, just like everyone else of the "out-of-scale" wire wheels out there.

The method I've been using has the spokes centered between both rims, good for bikes and old dragsters

May not be accurate on some applications, but better than what comes in the box.

There are a multitude of wire wheel patterns and levels as Jurgen has pointed out

I'll be giving his method a try and see how it works

c'ya

#28 Plastheniker

Plastheniker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Curt,

You are absolutely right. Any self-made wire wheel, even those made with the simplest techniques (up to now I saw about half a dozen more or less simple techniques), is better than the best plastic wheel.

I have no doubt that a modeler of your skills will master any technique.

As I said before (I think): If any questions occur please post or send a PM.

Here is another picture sent to a forum member showing the construction of the wheels

Attached File  comp_Rad Atlantic68 beschriftet.jpg   69.7KB   0 downloads

#29 lower99

lower99

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Full Name:Jonas Lohr

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hallo Jürgen!

Sehr schöner Tipp!

Danke fürs teilen!

Grüße!

#30 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

this is going to be way too advanced for me!

too many tools  :unsure:

#31 Bantoft

Bantoft

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Brilliant, now all I need to do is print it off, sit down, read thoroughly then think it through!!!

#32 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes, real easy. Where's that photo-etch? ;) 

#33 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

Brilliant, now all I need to do is print it off, sit down, read thoroughly then think it through!!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It appears after reading it through it might be easier to try and do it than explain it.

Very cool tip, thanks for posting it for us all to enjoy.

#34 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for a great tutorial.

#35 landman

landman

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Full Name:Pat St-Martin

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

attachicon.gifsmileys-winkende-046.gif

To be continued after supper

Please give me some response. I would like to know how many users will follow this topic. If anything is incomprehensible, if any questions occur please let me know as soon as possible. This contribution will require more than one evening, so I want to be sure that everything is understandable. Thanks!    

I'm definitely interested Jurgen.

#36 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Jurgen, your instructional was well presented and informative, even though i might never use the info, it is good to have seen it.