ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew McVicar

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Very very nice work so far.

Thank you!  How's your non-proshop version coming? Is there a thread for it yet that I've missed?

#22 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Exhaust system is assembled and painted. It went together very well; you can't even tell each pipe was three pieces! I love noticing little details that are done really well in this kit and in this case, it's the muffler clamps.

Attached File  DSCN7076.JPG   43.14KB   0 downloads

I knew the front seat would probably be tricky to assemble after painting the pieces, so I went ahead and put it together. Good thing I did, too, because the back didn't fit quite right. I cut the back in two and attached each half so they lined up correctly, then filed between the seats on the front to make it look more realistic, since each half of the seat folds down separately on the 1:1. I just hope the gap isn't too big now.

Attached File  DSCN7074.JPG   58.01KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCN7073.JPG   60.62KB   0 downloads

#23 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Engine and chassis are done, body is painted, interior is in process. I will try to take pics this weekend. No thread yet.

#24 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Full Name:Albie DeFusco

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Great work so far. I've had this kit for a long time, looks fun to build. Keep it going...

#25 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Engine and chassis are done, body is painted, interior is in process. I will try to take pics this weekend. No thread yet.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing it!

#26 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Great work so far. I've had this kit for a long time, looks fun to build. Keep it going...

Thanks! Do you plan on bringing yours to the workbench soon? It really is a great kit. Aside from the Tamiya Ferrari Enzo I almost forgot I started, this the next best kit I've ever put together!

#27 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I love how this kit has the frame separate from the floor pan! Sooo much easier to paint it cleanly! The underbody is Dupli-Color red oxide primer (I'll probably have to build a whole fleet of '50s cars to finish the can) and the frame is flat black with one coat of gloss clear to make it a perfect semi-gloss.

Attached Files

#28 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Is red oxide primer correct on a 57 Chevy?

#29 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Is red oxide primer correct on a 57 Chevy?

It sure is! Here's one of the reference pics I'm going off of.

Attached Files

#30 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Full Name:Albie DeFusco

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks! Do you plan on bringing yours to the workbench soon? It really is a great kit. Aside from the Tamiya Ferrari Enzo I almost forgot I started, this the next best kit I've ever put together!

It's in the queue between the next model and sometime before I die...yours is inspiring a bump in line though!

#31 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Filed off the molded gas tank straps and made my own out of BMF.

Attached Files

#32 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'll be darned!

#33 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll be darned!

Uh oh! What did you paint it with? I suppose you can always pretend it's undercoating? It's quite common.

#34 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

I confiscated the hubcaps and tires from the Revell kit because the white walls are so much more accurate. I will also be using the decals from Revell and possibly the hood spears as the chrome plating in this kit isn't too smooth on those parts (and those parts only, fortunately!)

I drilled holes so I can use the knockoffs from AMT and masked the lips so I could paint them red. I'd say they came out pretty clean!

Attached File  DSCN7083.JPG   71.05KB   1 downloads

Oh, I guess that hole isn't quite perfectly centered, but I'll take care of it once I put the knockoffs on!

PS: To those of you with the non Proshop kit: Does the decal sheet in yours come with the grill emblem? Mine didn't, which is the main reason I'm using the decals from the Revell kit. Well, that and the Revell one also comes with the gauge faces.

Edited by ImpalaBoy, 10 August 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#35 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

not in the prostreet 57 kit that this kit sister kit same body and chrome tree not a small block. But a rat motor

#36 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Made some progress the last couple days. I got all the suspension components painted, so I'll let them dry a couple days before I assemble that, as I tend to get finger prints in some gloss and semi-gloss things if I try to work too quickly. I've been doing this almost 5 years and I'm still working on the whole patience thing :P  Something weird I noticed while painting the front springs is that they aren't actually coils. I can only assume it's a molding defect, but fortunately it's the kind of thing that's impossible to notice unless you inspect the piece carefully.  The rear end is very nicely molded, with distinct brake lines and U-bolts that were easy to detail.  All interior parts are in a base coat of red, waiting for me to get a new can of flat black to get them detailed.  Interior carpeting will be black, which will make the red seats really pop. I ordered flocking for that today, so it won't be here for a few days. Please wish me luck with that, as this will be the first time I've ever used flocking. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will come out!

Attached Files

#37 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

This is really nice work Andrew. Its going to be a cracking '57 when complete. Thanks for the kit review in your first post - I was not aware of this kit. I have the ordinary AMT 57 and I bought a MCG photo etch sheet to go with it. If only I knew I could just get this kit! Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. I especially like the extra detail work on the engine and those fuel tank straps from BMF.

#38 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

This is really nice work Andrew. Its going to be a cracking '57 when complete. Thanks for the kit review in your first post - I was not aware of this kit. I have the ordinary AMT 57 and I bought a MCG photo etch sheet to go with it. If only I knew I could just get this kit! Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. I especially like the extra detail work on the engine and those fuel tank straps from BMF.

Thank you, glad you like it! When I got it I didn't really have much information about it myself, so I figured I'd give as detailed a review of it as I could for others who may be looking to get one. The MCG P.E. set is has more details than the one that came in this kit, but it's made for the oldest AMT '57 kit, so some parts don't fit quite right, so I've heard. So good luck with yours too :)

#39 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Thanks, Andrew, how many times have we looked at this kit and thought " Ho Hum, another '57 Chevy" Lots of goodies in there and your great build to follow. :D

#40 heinz74

heinz74

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:henry van meer

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

i know it's been argumented a milion times ..and not much photo's of 'new' unrestored 57 excist 

but they were supposed to have bodycolour overspray...

this is how i did mine..(1/12 ancient Monogram kit).

Attached Files