Jump to content

Newbie what do I need to use for painting

  • You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 kilrb53


    MCM Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Location:Citrus Heights,CA
  • Full Name:Bruce Ellsworth

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Well I see I have a lot to learn. I was just going to ask what type if paint to use on a model car. I can see that people are very serious on detail here. I just built a model fire truck for my brother inlaw's memorial and had many problems trying to paint it. I used regular spray paint for the main parts but when I used the testors enamel paints I was unhappy with the results ie brush strokes and such. I guess my question is what will I need to use on my next project which I think will be 1956 Chevy Bel Air two tone model. Any advise will be much appreciated.

#2 dantewallace


    MCM Friend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Location:Hagerstown MD
  • Full Name:dante dwayne wallace

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you are getting brush strokes either your paint needs to be thinned out or you need better brushes. If you are using those Testors brushes throw them away.

#3 clovis


    MCM Ohana

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Location:Indiana
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I am pretty new to the hobby too, back after a 25 year hiatus.


Have you tried any of the Krylon or Rustoleum rattle cans? They would be a step up from brushing the body.


I would strongly suggest staying away from the cheap 99 cent spray cans...they are trash IMO.


The Krylon and Rustoleum cans aren't going to be as good as the Duplicolor cans that most guys use.


I've also used the small Testors cans and had splendid results.