Model Cars Magazine Forum

To whom it may concern

I am a member of several forums. I was mainly posting on layitlow for years. I never really tried to post much here or interact with people here. I had always been warned that the majority of the members here built a certain way and if you didnt build at their approval, you didn't belong. Over the past few months, ive been making this the place i post besides facebook lol. I have made a few friends from this forum and ive learned more and more everytime i visit thisforum. I enjoy the way the forum is set up and sometimes posting can be a challenge due to the fact that i cuss like a sailor. But i am grateful to have this site available so i can learn more and more. I may joke around alot, but honestly, the pop up ads dont bother me. Im just glad this forum is here, i know it can be costly to run a forum and I wanted to say thank you to all the mods and members on here.

This forum does have a bad rep on some of the other forums. Everyone who has had their feelings hurt when someone said that "donks aren't my thing" or some other minor criticism, goes to the other forums complaining about the "elitist jerks" here on MCM.

Truth is the exact opposite is true. There are more people here willing to help than anywhere on the web.

James, glad to have you here.

Edited by Jantrix

This forum does have a bad rep on some of the other forums. Everyone who has had their feelings hurt when someone said that "donks aren't my thing" or some other minor criticism, goes to the other forums complaining about the "elitist jerks" here on MCM.

Truth is the exact opposite is true. There are more people here willing to help than anywhere on the web.

That reminds me of people who say "I can't stand that (insert cable news commentator name here), he's a partisan jerk."

"Ever watched his show?"

"Uh, no, I don't ever watch that jerk."

:rolleyes:

I have to agree with the idea that this is the best of the model car forums on the web. Lots of different styles, lots of knowledge, and lots of great builders who are willing to take the time and make the effort to share their knowledge with others.

Many things wouldn't exist without an advertising revenue stream to pay the bills. As long as providing content primarily to attract advertisers doesn't become the main goal of the site (like advertising has become the sole reason for the existence of TV, when in the beginning advertising was accepted as a 'necessary evil' to pay for quality content), everybody otter be happy. :D

Dittos, James! And, well said.

Joe, Presenting only "relevant" ads is a great ideal, however, the sponsors/advertisers have to be willing to spend money on advertisements. The "relevant" sponsors are not. In advertising, you take what you can get, especially when it comes to online advertising.

It's like billboards on a highway. You only see the products advertised that someone is willing to pay the 'buy-price' for the billboard. You don't ONLY see the products you personally like.

The question is, given the fact that we need one or the other, which do you guys prefer: Ads or a membership fee to access the forum?

Given how many people cry about the price of a $25 kit, I think I know what the answer would be.

Frankly, I'm so sick of 24/7 marketing morons screaming in my face to get me to buy stuff I have ZERO interest in, I'd gladly pay to use the forum without it.

And I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority.

Does anyone have any idea how the concept and/or perameters of Google Ad Sense works?

Does anyone know how to tweak the codes, add campaigns that are geared to what you are working on, make sure that the relevant ads and/or sites can be betted before they are allowed to use the ads?

Does anyone know how to set up a dedicated server, along with all the settings, profiles, zones, etc. that is involved with running your own dedicated server?

I think not.

I am doing the best I can, with Dave's help, and it's a steep learning curve.

All I hear, except from Mr. Evan's southern hospitality, is nothing but complaints, complaints, and complaints.

Anyone have an extra three grand a year they want to spend on running this?

I think not.

Thanks, James.

It's a learning curve I'm trying to get a hold of and grasp.

I visit here....more than i post anymore.....ok so now the Forum has pop-up Ads....I am confused...So now the Forum has Pop-up ads..So what good for Gregg....

The Internet it self is Just one Big Ad......So just move on...Welcome..

Thanks...Don

Going back the the paid , or "premium" membership, if its priced less then a kit, I think it might work, but you would have to give those members something special, there is one forum that I am on an they offer premium membership, its $12 for one year I think, and $25 for a life time, with that you get a members only section on the forum, you get to control more aspect of your profile and post/threads, and some other things

If the price is right, and you offer some goodys, its something to think about , would I be willing to pay say $12 a year , sure , but not $25 a year .

Technically they aren't "pop up" ads. A typical "pop up" ad opens in a secondary browser window apart from the window of the site you're on.

Thanks for the Heads-Up....Now i know the Difference...

Don.

I am a member of several forums. I was mainly posting on layitlow for years. I never really tried to post much here or interact with people here. I had always been warned that the majority of the members here built a certain way and if you didnt build at their approval, you didn't belong. Over the past few months, ive been making this the place i post besides facebook lol. I have made a few friends from this forum and ive learned more and more everytime i visit thisforum. I enjoy the way the forum is set up and sometimes posting can be a challenge due to the fact that i cuss like a sailor. But i am grateful to have this site available so i can learn more and more. I may joke around alot, but honestly, the pop up ads dont bother me. Im just glad this forum is here, i know it can be costly to run a forum and I wanted to say thank you to all the mods and members on here.

I too have found this forum to be very useful, entertaining and fun . I have also made this my one and only modeling forum. (The Jockey Journal being the only other forum I check daily.) Thankfully this forum comes complete with an ignore button of which I have used! makes things alot better all around.

Joe, Presenting only "relevant" ads is a great ideal, however, the sponsors/advertisers have to be willing to spend money on advertisements. The "relevant" sponsors are not. In advertising, you take what you can get, especially when it comes to online advertising.

It's like billboards on a highway. You only see the products advertised that someone is willing to pay the 'buy-price' for the billboard. You don't ONLY see the products you personally like.

but if you own the highway, you can choose the billboarder. or billboardette.

Edited by southpier

but if you own the highway, you can choose the billboarder. or billboardette.

No you can't. The billboard chooses you.

If you sell ad space, it's up to the advertiser to buy that space. You don't control which advertisers buy ad space, they do. You can only run ads for the advertisers that actually buy the ad space.

It's true that you can decide to only accept ads from certain advertisers, but still, it's the advertisers that have to buy the ad space. It's their choice whether or not to buy the space.

I find internet advertising interesting. I haven't figured out the logic behind the ads on this site yet. Other ad services watch you and figure out ads that may interest you from your browsing or location. For instance I had helped my daughter buy a Fiat 500. I get ads for those. I also see ads for a local car dealer, no doubt due to my zip code. And the company I bought the NNL East pens from seems to be stalking me everywhere!