Would you pay for a premium membership

Use the poll

• You cannot reply to this topic
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you pay for a premium membership (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you pay for a premium memebership

1. Yes (26 votes [35.14%])

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

2. Voted No (29 votes [39.19%])

Percentage of vote: 39.19%

3. Voted None of the above, I dont really care (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

4. Voted Monkeys are cool (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

5. Whats for dinner ? (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Simple question, a lot of forums out there offer its member's a premium membership option to help cover the cost of running the forum,  with that, premium members get things that normal members don't, and sometimes have a members only area of the forum, so lets say Gregg can add that option here, and the price was say under $20 would you?

#2 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Another forum (automotive in nature) that I participate in has regular free membership w/ ads, and a paid membership ($12/yr) without ads and some special forums open only to paid members...they are using the same IP Board software.   Works quite well there, I'd think such an approach could work here..

#3 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Another forum (automotive in nature) that I participate in has regular free membership w/ ads, and a paid membership ($12/yr) without ads and some special forums open only to paid members...they are using the same IP Board software.   Works quite well there, I'd think such an approach could work here..

I agree

#4 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

MacRumors charges $25 per year for no ads and access to a private forum. I'd pay here, too. Maybe as a perk for a subscription? That would get me to add that.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale, 01 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#5 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,478 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Where do I send the check ?

#6 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

One of the other groups I belong to has a pay to play program, only paying members can post for sale items and they see no ads. The yearly cost is cheap. Nobodys getting rich, but there is enough interest to offset some of the costs.

#7 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

?

Edited by mistermodel, 01 August 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#8 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Where do I send the check ?

Me too.

#9 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

MacRumors charges $25 per year for no ads and access to a private forum. I'd pay here, too. Maybe as a perk for a subscription? That would get me to add that.

Dale

That might work nicely and is worth considering.

That said, I don't have the money right now to pay, but if it was the right price, I absolutely would considering purchasing a membership.

Charlie Larkin

#10 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

That might work nicely and is worth considering.

That said, I don't have the money right now to pay, but if it was the right price, I absolutely would considering purchasing a membership.

Charlie Larkin

if it does come to pass, i'd like to see how many of the "yes" men actually cough up the dough. sort of the same as " i'm going to subscribe when .... "

#11 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

Rather than a formal pay to play policy and the drama that may or may not bring, I'm sure donations wouldn't be turned down! As long as its done with some degree of tact, don't send $20 and start threads reminding everyone about how great you are, nobody likes a selfish giver.

#12 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

if it does come to pass, i'd like to see how many of the "yes" men actually cough up the dough. sort of the same as " i'm going to subscribe when .... "

Joe, you're almost as cynical as I am... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

I have to make sure i word things carefully, because this and the ads have become a real touchy subject....

I know the costs involved in keeping a large forum like this going. I could care less about the ads. Doesnt bother me at all. Like i said before, most of them are almost comical. I think its safe to say that Gregg has the ads here to help aid in the cost of the forum so he wouldnt have to charge members a fee or membership to post or view the forum.
I myself am on disability. If it comes down to it and a membership is required, then i will bite the bullet and use the money out of my spending for kits just to pay for a membership on here. Honestly i hope it doesnt come to that, but if it does, then so be it.

Now as far as diluting the forum with paid members and non paid member and accessability to the forum, i will say bad idea. I would just leave it as you have to pay to be an active member.
Only other solution would to do like Brians Model Cars did and let members choose to donate. A yearly donation. The owner of that forum had it set up to where you could donate through paypal, and you could choose the amount you wanted to donate.

But in the end, this is ultimately Greggs decision.

Time for me to go swimming now... Lol

#14 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'll happily pay, but I also wonder how many regular users there are and what the annual gross nut is to provide the forum. Divide the annual nut by the number of regular users and what do you get??

What I'm getting at is I wonder if it actually comes down to a few bucks per user per year, if a few bucks would keep many folks away.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 02 August 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#15 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

True..this hobby does seem to have a lot of cheapskates...

#16 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I have to make sure i word things carefully, because this and the ads have become a real touchy subject....

I know the costs involved in keeping a large forum like this going. I could care less about the ads. Doesnt bother me at all. Like i said before, most of them are almost comical. I think its safe to say that Gregg has the ads here to help aid in the cost of the forum so he wouldnt have to charge members a fee or membership to post or view the forum.
I myself am on disability. If it comes down to it and a membership is required, then i will bite the bullet and use the money out of my spending for kits just to pay for a membership on here. Honestly i hope it doesnt come to that, but if it does, then so be it.

Now as far as diluting the forum with paid members and non paid member and accessability to the forum, i will say bad idea. I would just leave it as you have to pay to be an active member.
Only other solution would to do like Brians Model Cars did and let members choose to donate. A yearly donation. The owner of that forum had it set up to where you could donate through paypal, and you could choose the amount you wanted to donate.

But in the end, this is ultimately Greggs decision.

Time for me to go swimming now... Lol

I did not word the question properly,   it would be an option for people, not something everyone had to do in order to be a member,  its just a fancy way of asking for donation's, that's all it is.

truth be told

#17 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Setting a membership fee for premium membership will give some folks a feeling of entitlement.  Not that some don't already feel they are entitled!  

A donation button may work better since people could give what they want or can afford.  Acme Labs (the site we make our license plates on) has a donation button, as do some of the other free services I use.

#18 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Setting a membership fee for premium membership will give some folks a feeling of entitlement.  Not that some don't already feel they are entitled!  

A donation button may work better since people could give what they want or can afford.  Acme Labs (the site we make our license plates on) has a donation button, as do some of the other free services I use.

Of course it will, thats just a part of life, its going to happen no matter what forum its on,  there are more then one way to go about getting donations, and I am just bringing up one option that works, and where the ones that donate get something in return,  who doesn't like getting something back right?

#19 John Morrison

John Morrison

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:John Morrison

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Careful Rob, you just stepped it up from me "dissing" the whole board to you "dissing" the whole HOBBY! LOL However if the dis fits...

Edited by John Morrison, 02 August 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#20 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Careful Rob, you just stepped it up from me "dissing" the whole board to you "dissing" the whole HOBBY! LOL However if the dis fits...

Yes it does fit John

Edited by martinfan5, 02 August 2013 - 01:00 PM.