Showboat Redux / Quarter Master...Update 11/23/13
Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:36 PM
Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:49 AM
I have a trouble when I need to make Headers for one Engine, you just made a complete army of them! Nice work, I've been following and drooling this one very closely... Gonna be another wild build!
Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:32 AM
Thanks Y'all. You guys are the bestest. LOL Niko !!!! Forgot in my previous post about motor mounts and such being next. I remembered I've got 4 magnetos to make.
Should have headers installed today. We'll see.........
Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:55 AM
It's looking mighty fine, Joe. Boy - making four sets of anything identical is a major undertaking, but your headers have turned out great! Keep up the great work.
Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:07 AM
All I can say is "OH MY GOSH". Keep us posted!!!
Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:26 AM
...making four sets of anything identical is a major undertaking...
Hence my stalled Challenger 1...
I've been told that you shouldn't use cored solder for making headers as the rosin will corrode then from within. I've no idea if this is true but have always used the solid stuff just in case.
Hope i'm wrong as those look great.
Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:08 AM
Just found this build, love the concept and the execution so far is fantastic! You have just gained another follower on this one!
Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:49 AM
Thanks again everybody.
Scott - If anybody knows about making duplicates, you do.
Vernon - I may be slow posting, but I'm old.
Fred - Please be wrong. I looked for solid with no luck. Hopefully between Super glue in one end and paint in the other, I've sealed them if that makes a difference. It's powder as opposed to a liquid core.
Neil - Welcome aboard the Crazy Train.
Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:56 PM
Hi again All. Got some wiring done. To give you an idea of how fast it goes together once the magnetos are built, it takes about 15 minutes per engine to install it.
The boots were made using 1/16" heat shrink tubing. The pieces started at just under 1/2" long and were then trimmed to identical length. It was done this way due to mold ejector pins in the bottom of the heads.
I used 26 gauge Radio Shack wire to give it some depth and feel of overly largeness. Normally, I'd go 30 gauge, but it's too thin. 28 would probably be perfect.
I cut the appropriate number of wires, stripped, bundled and soldered. Trimmed the soldered ends, then used plastic tubing sleeves to connect wiring and shaft together, then added an aluminum sleeve.
I'm going with the "John Teresi School of Modeling" to come up with top caps. I went to a Party and Costume store and found some confetti that has some round blue metallic bits that should be perfect for the cap. Just have to drill a hole in the center, make a small split gap, rough up the surface to be glued and we'll be good to go. I'll show those in the next update.
Back to frame work next. I think........
Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:31 AM
You're becoming an electrician with all of those wires Joe. Nicely done.
Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:02 PM
So this is where you've been hiding eh?
Mad just mad, and I like it!
Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:49 PM
Thanx Brad, it's easier than it looks. No, wait, that's not right.........
Appreciate you checking in Kerry. Been watching yours too. Great stuff.
Waaaaaayne !!!!!! How are you? You coming to Hobbytown this October? Not sure of the date. I'll find out tomorrow. I'm bringing the 55 Chrysler AWB. Hopefully it will turn a head or two.
This isn't where I've been hiding. That's where the nice men who come in to make sure my jacket is tight and I get all of my happy pills.
Got the headers and breathers installed today. Now comes the scarey part. Mating up the inboard headers. I think I've got a fight on my hands.
Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:36 PM
Wayne, it's Saturday October 26th, entries from 11 am to 1 pm. I look forward to seeing you there.
Speaking of seeing things, all 4 engines are glued together and I did not need to scream or yell or cry at all. There was a small gasp when I heard a slight stress noise. Pictures tomorrow.
Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:42 AM
Late as usual with update pics. Decided to do some work on the nose first. Still plenty to do.
Mating up the engines was a bit of a task and the headers still need some final adjustment, but I'm overall very pleased.
I have blower hats and P/E throttle linkage on the way. Won't install those until late in the build, I think.